Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » When to reveal information in a story

Author Topic: When to reveal information in a story
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
This is an article for screenwriters, that I heard about in an email group I belong to.

I thought it would be of interest, and possibly of use, to y'all, because even if you aren't necessarily screenwriters, you are storytellers, and this topic has been under discussion quite a bit lately.

http://www.scriptsecrets.net/tips/tip226.htm

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks kdw,
My current Novel in Progress is a space based thriller and the entire plot centers around withholding, hinting at, and revealing information so this article is another good tool for the tool box--Or Hatrack Utility Belt for that matter.

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
I love that the blogger was unashamed to use Shallow Hal as a reference of revealing character arcs.

I enjoyed the article and found it just as relevant for the written story.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
Good points. Anticipation and involvement are partly about what you don't yet know, but yearn to at some level (perhaps very subtle).

More interesting articles if you backtrack down the URL chain --
http://www.scriptsecrets.net/tips/tip225.htm
http://www.scriptsecrets.net/tips/tip224.htm
etc.

However, I think it's also important to remember that in visual media, the viewer has most of the "work of imagining" done for him, along with a lot of the emoting (the actors each do it for their characters). In print, we expect the reader to create his own visuals and emotional reactions, both for themselves AND all the characters, albeit at our direction. If we intrude too far into the reader's job, it damages their ability to do it. I think that's the essence of the old "show don't tell" maxim.

And we're not constrained to an unforgiving timeframe and act format, either.

[This message has been edited by Reziac (edited January 24, 2011).]

Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
That was great information. Thanks for sharing.
Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
Bottom line: reveal the information when there is a need for that info.

In the beginning of a story, particularly a fantasy story, the author needs to set the ground rules because every fantasy story can have its own law book. Afterwards, when the story is a stable system, the info being revealed is about pushing the story onward. That's why this info comes in tidbits; all you need to do is support the flow of the story occasionally, otherwise let it run by its own. If you build it to go smoothly in the beginning, it will go smoothly. Or you need more work on your skills but that's a different matter altogether.

There is such thing as revealing the info right in the nick of time. Something like:
"How are going to get out of this?"
"Oh, I can fly. Did I forget to mention that?"

I think we all agree that's a story killer. Sometimes revealing the info must be on purpose, sometimes it must feel like you accidentally slipping it to the reader like a note dropped midwalk. The reader will pick up that note and study it. While he/she does not know what that info means, they might remember it if they think it's important. And since you dropped it by 'accident', it probably will be important.

I just spent an hour watching the first part of the TV series Firefly. I remembered something I realized many times while watching it: not a single scene in this show is empty of information. Even the way the character frowns or hesitates means something. That's why I love that show. It's an intelligently designed show. It's never boring.

Phew! This was some brainstorm. The moment I started reading that link my brain went to work and I had to get it down before I forget it. Sadly, it happens far too many times.

[This message has been edited by MartinV (edited January 25, 2011).]

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In the beginning of a story, particularly a fantasy story, the author needs to set the ground rules because every fantasy story can have its own law book.

I'm not so sure this needs to done. I think a lot of times fantasy or scifi writers have a list in their minds of what the reader needs to know in order to understand his/her world. Many times this leads to forcing this unformation into the text which can be jaring. I think if the writer slows down and trusts to reader to put together subtle clues, the info will get to the reader when it is needed in a more natural way. It is not necessary for the reader to fully understand the world at the beginning.

I do understand if you withhold too much, you risk confusing the reader which is never good. You need to strike a balance which I think is one of the biggest challenges in writing Scifi and fantasy.

quote:
There is such thing as revealing the info right in the nick of time. Something like:
"How are going to get out of this?"
"Oh, I can fly. Did I forget to mention that?"

Well, the article talked about planting the sleeper agents. You can't have the guy suddenly fly unless that idea is planted before hand.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In the beginning of a story, particularly a fantasy story, the author needs to set the ground rules because every fantasy story can have its own law book.

Of course, the rules need to be layed down tactically. The alternative is the info-dump. How the info is revealed, that separates a mediocre writer from a good writer, but you do need to set the setting.

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
Ground rules *begin* up front by the story obeying its own rules. I also think it's better to learn those rules as you go, so there's something to discover. But it needs to arrive at a reasonable rate and in a functional order, so when "Surprise! I can fly" arrives, we the reader see it as a logical extension of the rules we've learned, rather than a rude jump from Rulebook One to Rulebook 92, without being taught the intervening Rules at all (causing the book to magically fly across the room!)

Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.