Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » there's going to be a 2011 Literary Boot Camp!

Author Topic: there's going to be a 2011 Literary Boot Camp!
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the announcement on the Hatrack home page, and there's more information here.

It will be in Greensboro, NC in August, by the way.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Best news is that he will be fit enough for it! I see it will be closer to home for him.

Last year I sent my app in 30 secs after the announcement posted. This year I will try a different method.

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to apply. But I can't afford to go if it's not within driving distance (I was hoping for Utah), and I've committed to go to a wedding that week. Maybe next year.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
I am glad to hear it!

I wish I could apply again and try for the week but I've opened my own business so I'm stuck for who knows how long.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

So if I understand it right it's six days all together?

Sounds needed.

Hmmm, the flight there and back would probably cost more than the camp. If there were fast food places near the hotel could always eat there. mmm

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
Even the two day workshop is worthwhile. I did that last year and it helped clarify a lot of things for me.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
I was glad to hear OSC is up to it.

I would love to go, but I don't think it will be possible for me. I am taking time off work later in August for WorldCon so flying to NC might be out of the question.

If I do go, I would do the two day workshop. Take what I can from it, which I am sure would be a lot.

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
If you can get into Boot Camp it is absolutely worth it. If you get in - find the funds somewhere. And if you can't make the two-day seminar, read Characters and Viewpoint by OSC and make sure you truly understand it. Read it twice if you have to.

I am thrilled to hear he's feeling good enough to do this.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
$725? **whistles** Ouch.

EDIT: reading comprehension fail.

[This message has been edited by Rhaythe (edited February 01, 2011).]

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
posulliv
Member # 8147

- posted      Profile for posulliv   Email posulliv         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you can get into Boot Camp it is absolutely worth it. If you get in - find the funds somewhere.

I agree completely. I don't know how much it _should_ cost to spend a week with one of the best science fiction writers of all time, to have your work critiqued by other writers who have been vetted by experts, to learn how to critique and respond to critiques in a professional way, to build lasting friendships with writers you'd never have met otherwise, and to develop skills you'll have for the rest of your life.

It seemed a bargain to me, but I can understand it's a chunk of change, particularly given the current economic climate. For me it was a no-brainer. Working up the guts to apply (I'd never submitted any fiction to anyone before), finding the time to go, and getting there were the hardest parts. I'm glad I did.

[This message has been edited by posulliv (edited February 01, 2011).]

Posts: 389 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
Wish I could go. What a fantastic opportunity.
Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
It is a tantilizing prospect.
Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I think if I spent the time and money to travel there for the two day class I would want to stay for the whole thing. Of course getting in would be a big problem.

It would be worth the money, it even could be worth flying with the increasingly extra security they have these days.

But the flight and missing days at work and the hotel would more than double the cost of the workshop not sure if I could come up with quite that much.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LeetahWest
Member # 9402

- posted      Profile for LeetahWest   Email LeetahWest         Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to go. However I have other financial responsibilities I must see to first. Perhaps next year will be better for me.
Posts: 108 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akeenedesign
Member # 7816

- posted      Profile for akeenedesign   Email akeenedesign         Edit/Delete Post 
Tempting!!! But I already have a vacation coming up, plus LeakyCon lined up for the summer, and money's looking tight because of them. Maybe I can do something ridiculous like raise money from friends by writing and selling stories for their kids or something, haha!
Posts: 89 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micmcd
Member # 7977

- posted      Profile for micmcd   Email micmcd         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, this is happening in North Carolina???!!!
[Runs outside and starts screaming]
Hey everybody, something I'm interested in is actually happening in NC! I knew I moved here for a reason!

-- As a Raleigh-ite who has seen far too many workshops happening in Utah, Vermont, LA, and Seattle, I'm so relieved. Now I have to work on a short story.

Posts: 500 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 

Best wishes on being accepted, micmcd.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Wish something like that would happen around here. Calif. has a couple of things but they're usually hours away. Like San Diego has the Comic Con, Jim Butcher has been there twice for book singings, and the WotF awards banquet was there one year. They need to move in in land more. Anyway, San Diego is at least a five hour drive from here. Other events are even further.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.