Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » live writing groups

Author Topic: live writing groups
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
I was curious how many people are a part of regular-meeting writer groups. I think there was some mention of this in another thread.

If so, how did you end up being a part of them? Friends getting together? Work associates? Through an organization or school?

I'm asking more out of curiosity than anything.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
I joined one locally that advertised as part of a nearby writer's centre. I attended for a few weeks, but decided that it was a little frustrating - most of the writers were writing their biographies, were thirty years older than me (and I'm no spring chicken) and/or were at a very early stage in learning the craft.

From talking to the facilitator (who is a university creative writing lecturer) I think I'd have gotten more joy from uni courses - and the groups that tend to form out them.

I'm slightly jealous of those that do find great in-person groups as a result

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
I am as well. Started it myself on meetup.com.
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fahrion Kryptov
Member # 1544

- posted      Profile for Fahrion Kryptov   Email Fahrion Kryptov         Edit/Delete Post 
I never have been in such a group. Sounds intriguing.

Osiris- Thanks for mentioning meetup.com. I'd never heard of it, and I found a local group whose focus is AI. I'm totally checking it out!

Posts: 101 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never belonged to a real live group but I have seriously considered it. An organization here, that used to form such groups, seems to have gone out of business...they also had a killer writing conference every year but the price was a killer. Editors and publishers were there and they wanted you to bring your manuscript. Even though they seemed to be heavy on romance, David Brin was the last main speaker.

Anyway, like I said they seem to have gone out of business just when I had the money to go. So I'm not sure where to find a writing group or now if I would want to take the time to join one. It would depend on how far along the other writers were.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never been part of a live group either. I have trouble finding them.
Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting osiris,

I took a gander and found a sff group right in my area that has only had one previous meeting.

Tempting...

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattLeo
Member # 9331

- posted      Profile for MattLeo   Email MattLeo         Edit/Delete Post 
The title of your post and Ben's response has given me an idea for a story called *The Unspeakable Club*, in which a group of aspiring undead writers form a workshop. The protagonist is frustrated because of the lack of creativity of the members. The newbies (newdies?) think their recent death is the most important thing that ever happened, and want to write their memoirs. The ancients are old fogies who are trying to show they can move with the times (but are failing).

The club has a rule: anybody who starts a sentence with "When I was alive..." is banished until he writes a thirteen line epitaph, sends it to an agent, and gets a request to see more. Mesmerism isn't allowed, but of course everyone cheats.

Posts: 1459 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Write it, MattLeo!
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

Yeah matt. I agree write it. I recall one story I read with kinda that idea, it was a newly dead guy lamenting on how difficult it was to date. But yours sounds deeper.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.