Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Queries vs. Submissions?

Author Topic: Queries vs. Submissions?
enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

- posted      Profile for enigmaticuser   Email enigmaticuser         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking for a sci-fi/fantasy publisher and from with OSC said about TOR and my own reading of guidelines from DAW (I'm very new to this type of research) it seems at least those two don't accept simultaneous submission.

But I hear about lots of writers sending out lots of query letters. Are they talking about lots of companies unlike TOR/DAW that accept simultaneous? Or is there a difference between a submission and a query?

To be honest, I have no concrete idea what query consists of.

Posts: 336 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
A query is usually a package of materials that consists of the query letter (one page with the pitch for your story), the first three chapters and a synopsis of the rest. A submission would include the entire manuscript and you usually only send those on request - after they see your query package.

If Meredith weighs in, she will probably be able to give you more specific and accurate information.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Queries can be sent to multiple agents at a time. They expect it. And there are a lot more agents out there to query. A query package can consist of anything from just the query letter alone all the way up to the query letter, synopsis, and first three chapters/first 50 pages.

Submissions to a publisher are different. It's my understanding that most don't like simultaneous submissions.

There are differing schools of thought on the merits of querying agents or submitting directly to publishers. Reasonable people may disagree. Do your homework and decide what will work best for you.

Either way, you have to do your research to make sure your material is getting to the best possible agent or editor. On the importance of choosing the right editor, see agent Kristin Nelson's blog.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
Just remember: if you do send multiple e-mail querries in a short duration, DO NOT send them as one e-mail with multiple addresses. Avoid generic querries, send each agent a private e-mail. Learn what they are about and use that info in the e-mail or mail. It's business so it shouldn't be personal. That does not mean it shouldn't be organic.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
izanobu
Member # 9314

- posted      Profile for izanobu           Edit/Delete Post 
I send queries to multiple publishers. Why not? It's what an agent would do (how do you think that auctions and bidding situations happen? Multiple proposals out to multiple editors).

I recommend not sending out more than 5 or so at a time and giving each query at least 3 months for a response before you send out another batch. I snail mail most of mine because I seem to get better response rate that way (I think a lot of emails might end up caught in spam filters).

A query letter is basically a pitch. First paragraph, tell what you are offering (I have a completed fantasy novel titled X. line about the book ect). Second paragraph should be a condensed pitch for the book (think about the back covers of books and that blurb, it should be like this, something to catch attention, give an idea of what the character, setting, and problems are etc). Keep it short. Then a final paragraph with any relevant experience (is this Mil SF and are you in the military? Do you have published work? Do you have stories published in magazines in this genre that an editor would have heard of (ie professionally paying ones)?) and then say what is included (sample chapters, synopsis, SASE) and close politely saying the full novel is available and you look forward to hearing from them (but don't say "by X date" or anything stupid like that).

Then pick the first two or three chapters (no more than 30 or so pages though) and write a 3-5 page synopsis (1k words is ideal) of your book that TELLS the ENDING! and put it all together with paperclips, letter on top, then SASE, then manuscript, then synopsis. Send it out to your top 5 editor picks (research editors with Publisher's Marketplace to see who is buying what and for how much) and write the next book. In 3 months, check your files, update anything, and send the next set.

Writing a good query and synopsis is tough. I hate it. But it is something you have to learn if you want to make it. Just a part of the business (I took a 3-day workshop just on writing queries and pitches and it's still tough)

Posts: 96 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I do what izanobu does.

I've received four responses on query packages to publishers already (I started submitting mid-October 2010), most somewhat generic but one encouraging me to send my next project to her. I have five more in the mail at the moment. I have some that have been in the mail for more than 3 months, I'm going to send out more, on the assumption that those are lost/not of interest to those editors.

Interestingly, most of my responses have come with in 4-6 weeks of my submissions packet. While there are still some no-responders, I think there's a myth that it has to take 6+ months to hear back from publishers. My (albeit limited) experience doesn't show that.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

- posted      Profile for enigmaticuser   Email enigmaticuser         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all for the info, its a bit confusing. I just wanted to write which was fun and now I have to do marketing which is not so much...oy vay.

I guess this is the publishing worlds way of seperating dedicated writers from "hey look what I scribbled."

Posts: 336 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I guess this is the publishing worlds way of seperating dedicated writers from "hey look what I scribbled."

That's one way to look at it. And it probably has an element of truth to it, too.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.