Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Did you write? February 28th, 2011

Author Topic: Did you write? February 28th, 2011
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you write? February 28th, 2011

For those of us who are slackers, or generally slackers, the idea is to post here each week as to what you did in your life, and also to report how you did in writing. The hope is that you will realize you are not going to be reporting any writing, so you rush a project open and write something, anything, so you can brag that you actually wrote this week.
For those of us who are writing regularly, this becomes a place to brag, and to get the rest of us to long to be that productive and make changes in our lives to make it happen.

New story writing is always writing. Editing is also writing, even if it is the work of someone else. Critiquing is a form of editing, and is also writing. So is blogging, technical writing, writing assignments, poetry, character and world development, and even E-mails can be writing if they pertain to writing or stories. If you have to ask if it is writing, the answer is yes.

On my work in progress, I have edited another 163 out of it. This is all fixing sentences and finding a way to combine something or eliminate something. This is likely my best edited work, but it is still way to long. Each scene I have appears to be important to the story. I really cannot see how to remove something without major editing elsewhere to correct for the missing information, or to remove reference for the missing information.

On my contraband character history, I am not supposed to be working on it, I have added 1315 words. It is now on page five. As I write on it, other things come to mind. Too bad there is no story there.

I did well on my story ideas. I wrote 28 story ideas, and they took up 34 pages, amounting to 20444 words of pure drivel.
I do feel sad that a few of them should have been developed more and a couple missed the point because I wrote them short.
I had one story idea based on a song I heard. I wrote a few words down with the intent to fill out more of the idea. I never got to adding more information. I am looking at what I wrote and it makes no sense to me at all. A couple words were badly scribbled. If I were to hear the song again, I would remember the idea, but have not heard the song. The way the station is handling music, it is not all that likely to repeat it for a while. I hate losing an idea.

I have an art show coming up next month. I am working on just about everything except for what I really need to work on. I have "played" with all sorts of new equipment I acquired over the past few weeks. The most time consuming projects have gotten the least amount of attention. If these projects are not in the art show, it would not be so horrible, but I do want to show them off. They are going to be really good for people to see.

A dear friend of mine died Monday. It was his birthday. I knew he was not going to be in this world long, but he went faster than expected.
I had been checking in on another friend in the nursing home for years and when she died, I shifted my visits over to this friend. I will miss him.
He had sold me a special metal working lathe and he gave me a bunch of tools. I will remember him through the tools.

As to the question of the week, '
I can honestly say

YES, I DID WRITE!!!

DID YOU WRITE?

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Plenty. Got a good solid start on my novel, about 4000 words.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I did. SEVEN STARS (hopefully soon to be renamed) is now closeing in on 40,000 words!

Plus two blog posts.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, wrote, edited, submitted and rejected. I think that covers the gambit.
Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
Finished a 1600 word short story (posted in fragments and feedback) and started on another one today. The one I just started was tough - I couldn't figure out where to begin the story. And it's my first attempt at a female protag!
Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
A bit more than expected.

EREV TOV (short story): Plotted and Act 1 completed.

THE KABBALIST (novel): Revisions, Elevator Pitch, 2 page synopsis drafted.

DYING IN THE LIGHT (1000 word flash): finalized.

Too much forum writing instead of story writing. Like this one.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
Just shy of my 9k goal for the week. One of 'those' weeks...

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep I wrote.

Did some work on revising my short story.

Did some good work on two of my novels even though not as much as I could have on one of them.

Wrote posts here--still too many.

Wrote a couple of E-mails.

But nothing on My Blog this week .

Oh yeah, did a couple of crits too.

I think that was all.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Montag
Member # 9421

- posted      Profile for Montag   Email Montag         Edit/Delete Post 
Due to being out of town and leaving my computer at home I didnt write until today. Dropped a thousand though. Ill make up for it in the days to come.
Posts: 36 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tryndakai
Member # 9427

- posted      Profile for Tryndakai   Email Tryndakai         Edit/Delete Post 
I started a new story idea today, wrote up 822 words in it . . . most of which will no doubt need to be cut later, because they make a terribly boring start. (or maybe I just need to have a punchier scene right beforehand . . .)
Then I got WAY too distracted playing around with CSS on a page made to showcase said writing sample, for friends on another site to critique . . . spent probaly *three times* as long styling the silly thing as I did actually writing it. :P

Probably ought to do better, tomorrow . . .

(I'll post 13 lines of the thing up here eventually . . . after I've figured out a bit more of the story and wrung it through a few lower-level con/crits on said other site. Which I'll refrain from naming here, as it's embarrassingly juvenile. Just can't stay away, though . . . ;D )

But yeah, I wrote this week! Which, for me, is a pretty big accomplishment.

Posts: 114 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Had a pretty good week, revisions only. I pushed through to the end of the second draft of a short story, five thousand plus words, then decided I interpolated enough new material (purging some elements derived from the thing it bounced off of) that I had to write out a third draft, which I've pushed through fifteen hundred words of so far. Worked every day.

I've still got two other stories I want to revise, unless some new idea comes into my head before then. I'm relatively happy about it all. With the one I completed and mailed off, it's the most finished work I've had on hand in about two years...

(By the way, when I was going over my files, I found several stories I don't want to revise...some just don't engage me, and others seem, well, kind of wrong.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Montag
Member # 9421

- posted      Profile for Montag   Email Montag         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, do text messages count? I sent at least a couple hundred of those :P
Posts: 36 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevenwall
Member # 9433

- posted      Profile for kevenwall   Email kevenwall         Edit/Delete Post 
YES! Wrote the first draft of my first chapter today. 807 words. We'll see how well they fare once I reread them.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit write edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit...
Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I wrote a new outline for my Tyger-Lili story. It's a bit skeletal yet, but a good framework to build on.
Posts: 456 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

Over 2K new words today alone. Plus a new Bloggathah entry.

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.