Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Character Development

Author Topic: Character Development
kevenwall
Member # 9433

- posted      Profile for kevenwall   Email kevenwall         Edit/Delete Post 
Ive spent a lot of time developing my story, and now I need to either 1. start writing, or 2. develop my characters. I'm trying to develop my characters but am having a lot of trouble. Any suggestions? Should I just start writing, or is it important to figure out who the people in the story are first? And if that's the case, any suggestions?
Posts: 26 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
I do a little of both. I usually have an idea of who the characters are before I begin writing. This is usually to fit the plot.

I start with a premise then I think who would do this and why, and charaters begin to form. Then as I am writing the characters become more developed until they seem to take on a life of their own.

But honestly there is no right or wrong way to developing characters. I think you need to play around with it, and see what works for you.

I know that was really helpful.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
In my writing I've found that when starting off with characters, especially secondary or unimportant ones, a great place to begin is to give them a distinguishing feature and characteristic. He's really tall and doesn't say much. She has red hair and she smiles a lot.

From there you can build the character to fit those things. Does he hunch his shoulders because he's embarrassed about his height? Is he quiet because he listens carefully to the conversation but only speaks when he has something useful to add, or because he isn't interested in the conversation and is deep in his own thoughts?

Is she proud of her red hair because so few women possess the trait? Is she embarrassed about it because it's not an attractive feature in her culture? Does she smile a lot because she's actively involved in a satisfying purpose? Are her smiles at the expense of others?

And then you can go even deeper. Is his habit of hunching something that makes him feel apologetic when he's around other people? Has it made him feel less confident his whole life, and that's why he says nothing? Does her awareness of how her red hair makes her stand out cause her to work extra hard to be funny and likable and the center of attention? Are her smiles really fake, and her friendliness hides a deeper sadness?

Just an idea, but it's a good place to start.

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest you do 2 by doing 1. In other words develop your characters by writing your story. There is a magic that happens as you are writing, the characters start talking to you. You put them in all sorts of situations and see how they respond. Perhaps it will take you a few pages before you get into the groove, but then you just go back and rewrite.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevenwall
Member # 9433

- posted      Profile for kevenwall   Email kevenwall         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome! Thanks. I like the comments. Also...Red heads are hot!
Posts: 26 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SolomonSpecies
Member # 9254

- posted      Profile for SolomonSpecies   Email SolomonSpecies         Edit/Delete Post 
Redheads are a dying breed. But, at times, you're right...and wrong.
Posts: 27 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

And then you can go even deeper. Is his habit of hunching something that makes him feel apologetic when he's around other people? Has it made him feel less confident his whole life, and that's why he says nothing? Does her awareness of how her red hair makes her stand out cause her to work extra hard to be funny and likable and the center of attention? Are her smiles really fake, and her friendliness hides a deeper sadness?

Or is her red hair dyed? As in one book I am reading now. The MC likes to change her hair color as some people change their socks even though when the idea is introduced she is wondering if she should make it a color that would help her get a job.

And if it is red is that strange off red that is obviously fake? Usually that red is with short hair...or as in one of my novels the MC has short bright red hair with a white mohawk (she is a good guy after all). And yes my MC has a tendency to think of herself as a freak. Hmmm, I think I need to work that in again somehow.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
But to answer your question. It depends. I don't spend all that much time working out everything before I start. I have just a basic idea and than I go with it. Other writers plan out almost every detail of the characters and action scenes: they have notes, an outline, research files etc.. Some have just a few notes to jog their memories. You need to decide how you write.
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Montag
Member # 9421

- posted      Profile for Montag   Email Montag         Edit/Delete Post 
Just do what is best for you in preparation. Personally I try and set out a basic physical description and background in my notes. Then I try and become my characters and think what they would do and how they would react.

Readers read to find themselves in characters, writers write to find the characters within themselves.

Find your inner character :P.

Posts: 36 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
I asked someone for a character reference, and they said, "Yep, you surely are a character!!"

One way to start is to essentially role-play the character. Go talk to yourself in the mirror as if you're really your character. Since you already have some plot developed -- ask your characters what they think about it. That produces a starting point, and after that they'll go off and do their own thing. (Or run away screaming, depending on what your plot does to them!)

Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
I develop my characters by writing, the problem is that I often find my characters doing things that are out of character for them. Then the rewrite has to fix that stuff, or keep it (if the story is about the Character's change).

When it comes to longer works, I like to get to know them better before I write . It saves me the embarrassment of inconsistencies that can come with a longer writing time.

Another thing that may be helpful is to write out a brief bio of your character. Then you can always use a Character Interview to develop more.

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
It's no coincidence that I start a story by writing some dialogues, just to get a sense of the chemistry between two characters. Here's an example:

"I'll come back later," she said, turning away.
"Like you never saw me naked before," I said, turning the water off.
"Please, don't remind me."

Characters are the first thing I do, apart from the rough storyline draft that gets constantly changed. If I have a juicy dialogue, I will even modify the storyline to place it well.

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.