Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Penguin - Book Country

Author Topic: Penguin - Book Country
redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
Penguin Group is starting a venture called Book Country.

It looks like it's going to be a writers critique group as well as offer self-publishing opportunities for a fee.

A quote from the article:

quote:
Penguin hopes the site will attract agents, editors and publishers scouting for new talent, and allow writers to produce work with more polish and direction than they could otherwise.

Definitely sounds interesting. What do you guys think?

[This message has been edited by redux (edited April 26, 2011).]

Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Anything that offers for fee publishing is suspect. JMO.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

- posted      Profile for JohnColgrove   Email JohnColgrove         Edit/Delete Post 
Even if it's penguin group doing it...I probably woun't do it.
Posts: 174 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

- posted      Profile for JohnColgrove   Email JohnColgrove         Edit/Delete Post 
Another thing, if it was me, I would wait a bit and see how it developes...and check preditors and editors.

Edit: I'll only use the free stuff I refuse to use for fee publishing, vanity or otherwise.

[This message has been edited by JohnColgrove (edited April 26, 2011).]

Posts: 174 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm signed up as a beta tester for the Book Country site.

It was marketed on Another Forum[tm] as a critique and mutual-help site, and that's what's up there so far. You can upload a MS of any length, and crit whatever you like. They're using a "genre spectrum" gimmick to sort by field-of-interest that's interesting in concept, but...

So far I've found its navigation too awkward and convoluted, and the comment system too lacking in everyday readability, for it to have any attraction. Yeah, it's pretty and uses all the latest and greatest Web 2.0 features. (You'd better be using a new browser.) And there are some published authors involved (I can't recall who offhand). But it's not useful, because it's such a damned pain to get around the site and actually FIND anything.

As to the NYTimes report, that's news to me, but sounds like they intend to get into print-on-demand, where anyone can demand to be printed. If that's all it is, great and wonderful, POD could probably use more competition. But if it's a foray into fee-based publishing, I expect that will backfire.

[This message has been edited by Reziac (edited April 27, 2011).]

Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.