Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » World Maps and Beyond

Author Topic: World Maps and Beyond
JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

- posted      Profile for JohnColgrove   Email JohnColgrove         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody know about http://www.profantasy.com/ ? I have their software and I think it's great stuff. Plus they just released version 3 of all their software, which I'm dying to get.

I figured I'd share this in case anyone wants to build a decent world map (and maps of the Universe and/or Galaxy).

[This message has been edited by JohnColgrove (edited May 10, 2011).]

Posts: 174 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been toying with the idea of getting one or two of these. Haven't quite convinced myself yet. Since you like it, maybe you can address a question or two I have. What's the learning curve? How easy is it to shape the land exactly to your specifications?

Or maybe I should ask, what do you like about it?

Thanks for the input.

[This message has been edited by genevive42 (edited May 10, 2011).]

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried pro-fantasy's trial versions and they were fascinating. The only problem is that I simply don't have the patience to create all those details of the map. Strange since I work on so many details when writing a story.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

- posted      Profile for JohnColgrove   Email JohnColgrove         Edit/Delete Post 
I can understand not having the patience
Posts: 174 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

What I liked the most about campaign cartographer is the look and feel of it. Yeah it take a while because of the small details but in the end it's worth it, especially with the new version
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
That looks really interesting. Usually when I draw maps to help me keep track of where everything is they look like they were drawn by a five year old. Yeah, really not good at drawing.

It would be fun to make polished maps for my stories.

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

I hear you there natej. Plus it takes forever to draw the 5 year old way
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
I also feel as if my drawing is done by a child. I've been thinking of trying some drawing courses but I didn't get further than thinking.

Maps I can do. I have some interesting ones down with a pencil. The real issue comes when I want to draw a scene from a story. I could wait to get fans who are good at drawing but I would kind of like to see it sooner.

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.