Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Mothers in fiction

Author Topic: Mothers in fiction
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been having issues in my current WIP based on the motivation of my hero's mother. Because it is YA, I want the young heroes to solve the problem by themselves, but my male hero has a mother who is involved in his life. A good mother.

I've given her a new relationship to explain why her focus is elsewhere, but I still feel like she wouldn't let what happens happen without at least trying to solve the problem herself.

Anyway, does anyone have any idea's on how to fix this, or have any of you had similar problems in your writing?

I can't kill off the mother. I already killed the female hero's mother.

Thanks,
~Sheena

[This message has been edited by shimiqua (edited May 11, 2011).]

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Is the boy old enough to be left on his own? Could mom be out of town dealing with something really important, an extended family crisis, or something? Maybe there's an aunt or someone nearby that checks in now and then so it doesn't seem like anyone is abandoning him, even if he is sixteen or seventeen.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Or a new job that's making her work overtime?
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
Does the mom even know about the problem? Teen kids are notorious for keeping things to themselves and trying to solve problems on their own, for good or ill, without seeking adult guidance.

So even though the mom in your story is a good mom, maybe the son is simply good at acting like everything is fine. Or maybe the son goes through a lot of trouble to keep his mom out of it because he wants to protect her, he doesn't want her involved for fear she might get hurt.

Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the same issue in my wip -- but it by design. Perhaps the mother is able to provide an aspect to solving the problem that her child cannot and vice versa. Is one the athletic one? Another the thinker?
Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
Why not let her help and see what happens? She might make it worse.
Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elilyn
Member # 9426

- posted      Profile for elilyn   Email elilyn         Edit/Delete Post 
In my current story, the mom was starting to be a pain for my MC as well. I dismissed the idea of killing her, it seemed like it would change my MC's life too much. She's a good mom, like yours, but just no place in the story. I settled for having her send my MC out of town to "keep him safe". I also thought about getting her arrested or having my MC hide the truth from her because he's trying to protect her.

You could also think about having her "fix" blow up in the MC's face.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 46 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
How about from the kids perspective? A lot of kids are unsure if somethings going to get them into trouble, so they try to solve the problem on their own or just avoid it if they can. Maybe your MC can be afraid he'll get in trouble if he lets his mom know.

Another alternative is that kids have no way of telling just how powerful or dangerous an antagonist is. If the person is threatening to hurt his mom if he tells her, it just might keep him quiet on the matter as he tries to solve it on his own. Ditto for any other authority figures he might go to.

You could even use it as an opportunity for character tension, as his mom knows something is wrong and is trying to find out what, and he's trying to keep it from her to, as he thinks, protect her.

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

I don't know if it would that much of a problem. There have been some good suggestion already, and I will add that I have read YA books where the hero(s) is-are involved with an adventure that their parents know nothing about. Like one where the parents thought their kids were having fun playing in a junkyard when they were actually being detectives, sometimes in life and death situations.

I started a series and evidently the hero's parents show up only part of the time with a certain problem they are having but most of the time he's off in another dimension saving the day there. Except for the problem his parents seem to be good parents but he still manages to leave them. I think he's twelve or so which means he can be gone all day.

And as one person said the mother may give a suggestion that helps even if she doesn't know what is really going on. Or she just shows up now and then.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
Example of an intelligent and highly effective mother: Theresa Wiggin in the Ender series (and especially the Shadow series). She pretends to be slow even when she's not so her son would not feel limited. She only reveals her true nature when it's vital to the survival of her son.

You could make the mother in your story act all ignorant and motherly but she could manipulate some circumstances to make her child's task easier, without the child knowing, of course. She could even deny it if her child asks her if she had any hand in it.

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Some brilliant idea's, thanks guys.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.