Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Writer's Digest University

Author Topic: Writer's Digest University
jcavonpark
Member # 9508

- posted      Profile for jcavonpark   Email jcavonpark         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering if anyone here has taken a course through Writer's Digest University?

http://www.writersonlineworkshops.com

I ask because I was considering taking a course, but they're so expensive that I don't know if it's worth it. The instructors seem to be mostly low-end genre novelists, so I don't know if they are really any good or not, although there are a few award winners.

What say you, hatrack writers?

Posts: 86 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

- posted      Profile for JohnColgrove   Email JohnColgrove         Edit/Delete Post 
I almost took courses there, but I've never heard of any of the novelists. To me, if the instructors are low end novelists then I wouldn't go. If I've heard of them, it would be a different story. In order for me to go on an online course, the instructors have to at least have medium success. Not saying that the low end novelists aren't any good.

Have you tried critique circle or other workshops? Granted it's a critiquing place but it can be almost equally as helpful.

You could check out a book or two by the instructors at the library just to get a feel of their writing.

Posts: 174 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
I took a course on preparing and presenting queries. Yes, it was expensive, and most of the actual benefit seemed to come from the books they recommended I buy for the course. I actually ended up dropping out of it halfway through.

It might be a good way to learn, but nothing finding a good writers' group and a few books on your particular genre couldn't cover just as well.

[This message has been edited by Natej11 (edited May 20, 2011).]

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcavonpark
Member # 9508

- posted      Profile for jcavonpark   Email jcavonpark         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually now that you guys mention the books, I was reading on their website about the scifi class and they use OSC's how to write science fiction and fantasy book! How cool is that? I think I'll probably just go buy that book and skip the class lol

The critique circles would be good. That's one of the reasons I like these forums, what with having so many people around to swap stories with. More feedback is always a good thing, too.

Posts: 86 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

- posted      Profile for JohnColgrove   Email JohnColgrove         Edit/Delete Post 
Plus with critique circle, you can send stories of any genre, plus the waiting isn't nearly as long as critters writers workshop
Posts: 174 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.