Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » genre

Author Topic: genre
TMR Beste
Member # 9509

- posted      Profile for TMR Beste   Email TMR Beste         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there such a thing as a list of genres with definitions? If so, where do I find this?
The novel I am working on is definitely speculative fiction.
But I hate to call it 'Science Fiction' because the science fiction-like elements are
really inconsequential to the story. The action takes place on another planet, in another time. There are aliens involved, but I despise strange, biologically impossible aliens. Plus, in this world there is a good reason why creatures like this don't exist. This story is more of an allegory along the lines of George Orwell or Aldous Huxley, with religious and political elements integral to the plot.

Would you still call this Science Fiction?

Posts: 29 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Another planet, another time and aliens. Yes, I would call that science fiction. There are a lot of different kinds of science fiction, everything from alternative history to steampunk to space opera. The Wikipedia entry for sci-fi has a pretty comprehensive list of subgenres.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Jennifer about what makes up Science Fiction. Some people think it has to have some science, even if twisted and/or made up and even though most SF does have some type of science or based on some type of science I'm not one that says it has to have it.

Of course there seems to be an area between SF and Fantasy that seems to be no man's land where it is hard to say which side a story belongs to but your story doesn't sound like that. From your description it sounds solid SF.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd classify it under Science Fiction. Sociological fiction set on a possible but fictional world is one of my favorite forms of sci-fi. Keep in mind, though, that genre definitions are highly subjective. What is Fantasy to one person might be Horror to a second person and Romance to a third. Call your novel by whatever you're most comfortable calling it, and see how many people disagree with you.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

- posted      Profile for JohnColgrove   Email JohnColgrove         Edit/Delete Post 
agree with the above
Posts: 174 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Your tiny tirade about biologically impossible aliens makes me think you write science fiction. Just having an opinion on that makes you a science fiction writer. Another planet, another time, aliens. Shmerps, what else could it be? Orwell and Huxley wrote Sci-Fi, don't be afraid of the title.

If the science fiction elements are inconsequential to the story why include them at all?

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to toss in my perspective. There's plenty of fantasy books that involve other worlds and "aliens". World of Warcraft, Warhammer, etc. You can write a book about other worlds and unique creatures indigenous to that world without needing to pigeonhole it into science fiction.

In fact, my current WiP toes the line between sci-fi and fantasy, although I'm calling it fantasy.

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

- posted      Profile for JohnColgrove   Email JohnColgrove         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah that's true I forgot about that lol. My book although has a lot of science fiction elements it's mainly fantasy (slipstream?)
Posts: 174 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.