Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Literary Boot Camp 2011

Author Topic: Literary Boot Camp 2011
sjeanne
Member # 9534

- posted      Profile for sjeanne   Email sjeanne         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone going to the class or boot camp as a whole?

I'm interested in talking logistics with people...

Posts: 29 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micmcd
Member # 7977

- posted      Profile for micmcd   Email micmcd         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm probably attending the class (signed up, paid). Not going to BC; didn't make the cut.
Posts: 500 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
I did the workshop last year, probably not going to the boot camp 2011. I am an alternate but who would cancel?
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Yeatts
Member # 9500

- posted      Profile for A Yeatts   Email A Yeatts         Edit/Delete Post 
I made the alternate list as well but am not very hopeful about anyone dropping out either. I'll be there for the 2 day class though.
Posts: 207 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not going, but I was wondering where people find the signup page for it for future reference? Any links?
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Yeatts
Member # 9500

Sign up link was posted on the Hatrack home page. Went up around January/February?
Posts: 207 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
francisbruno
Member # 9505

- posted      Profile for francisbruno   Email francisbruno         Edit/Delete Post 
I made it into the bootcamp and will certainly be there.
Planning my flight and hotel arrangements this week.
I need to figure out if a car is needed, etc.

Francis Bruno
http://www.francisbruno.com

Posts: 35 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sjeanne
Member # 9534

I also made it into boot camp this year, and I'm wondering where other people will be staying, etc. (I went to the writing class in 2009 at SVU and it was simpler because we were all in the dorm together.) I haven't decided yet where I'll be flying into... plan making.

At the risk of sounding insufferably encouraging - I'll say, if you didn't get in this year but still want to go, don't give up. This wasn't my first time applying.

Posts: 29 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Yeatts
Member # 9500

Thank you! I needed to hear that. I was actually really proud to even make the alternate list. Definitely going to use it as a learning experience and keep trying.
sjeanne
Member # 9534

Good! I think you *should* be proud. I didn't even know there WERE alternates when I tried before, which probably says something right there, huh?

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
A Yeatts, while being an alternate was not our goal, Kathleen Bellamy said there were only 3 alternates chosen out of all the applications. So it is like an honorable mention. An indication we are on the right track and hopefully get in next year.

Also, if he had held two boot camps like last year we would have been in.

As I told Kathleen, I am just thankful he is healthy enough to teach any courses this year.

[This message has been edited by Dark Warrior (edited June 07, 2011).]

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Yeatts
Member # 9500

DW, you're so right! So glad he was healthy enough to do this. I'm really looking forward to the 2 day workshop. I'm sure I'll learn enough there to push my writing ahead by leaps and bounds.

Wow... only three of us? Double pat on the back for the alternates then! I was sweating bullets just thinking about OSC critiquing my work up close and personal if I got in... so this way, I consider it literary affirmation that I'm not totally wasting my time while avoiding the intense pressure that my rookie nerves might not be able to handle! Here's to next year then!

A Yeatts
Member # 9500

NO WAY!!!! I just got in! I feel terrible that someone had to drop out... but... I got in!!!!!! I read the email from Kathleen Bellamy at least ten times before I believed I wasn't losing my mind. Then my hands were so numb I could barely reply to her that I was coming!
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
So does that mean four of us are going? Us meaning Hatrakers not us meaning me.

That's enough to have a clique
At least to brag about us.

But as much as I would like to go it's a bit far for me and there's that little thing, as someone else found out, called making the cut.

You all are doing good just to do that.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

Congrats! And it looks like that is 4. Still a month left for one more to drop out and me to go, as long as it isnt another hatracker that has to drop.
A Yeatts
Member # 9500

Dark Warrior, fingers crossed for you too! Can't wait to meet the other Hatrackians in person. I'll be the nervous, babbling one jumping up and down like a dork trying her hardest not to yell out one liners from OSC books.

Remember, the enemy's gate is down!

sjeanne
Member # 9534

Congratulations, A Yeatts. I'm looking forward to meeting you.
francisbruno
Member # 9505

- posted      Profile for francisbruno   Email francisbruno         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on making it in.
If anyone is interested in hooking up the Sunday before, I'm around in the afternoon. I booked my flights and the hotel. I'm looking forward to meeting you all.
Francis Bruno

Posts: 35 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Yeatts
Member # 9500

Thanks! At least my ego will be safely checked at the door. The beauty of getting in as the alternate is knowing I'm the bottom of the literary totem pole with nothing to do but learn.

I have family in the area so the kiddos and I are driving up Sunday night. They get a week with Grandma and I get a week with Uncle Orson. Works well for all of us!

genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, but they won't be getting a week with grandma, not much of one anyway. You are going to be VERY busy. It starts with having to write a story in short order and the rest of the week you spend reading and critiquing everyone else's stuff. So make sure your family understands that you're going to need your time for the Boot Camp work.

Last year I was so tired I fell asleep in the hotel lobby (in a big cushy chair) while reading someone's story (and no it wasn't the story's fault) and I heard Uncle Orson say 'Boot Camper sleeping' as he walked by. I woke up laughing.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Yeatts
Member # 9500

Love it! At least he didn't duct tape you to the chair. I had a teacher in high school that lived for that.

Already warned my mom that I would merely be using her as a hotel/babysitting service. Guess I'll owe her a long day at the spa in return!

~Anna

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hey everyone, including the new guy, say hi to OSC for me. Not that it's likely that he has seen any of my stories he has seen any of my stories, with the possible exception of one, but it couldn't hurt.
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CreganTur
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for CreganTur           Edit/Delete Post 
I got into Boot Camp, which is actually the reason why I joined this forum. I figured it would be a good place to connect a little before the con and it looks like there are private forums from previous cons, so I figured it would be needed.

I actually live in Greensboro, so my accomodations will be very homey

Posts: 16 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I had a major writing conference taking place in my backyard .
Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sjeanne
Member # 9534

I'll also be there on Sunday - maybe we should meet up at the registration area around 6 or so, when registration starts? Or just hang about and see? (I'll be getting a shuttle from the airport, so I'm not sure exactly when I'll be there.)
francisbruno
Member # 9505

I think hanging in the registration area is a good idea.
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

Well I hope it wasnt one of you that had to drop out, but if it is I hope all goes well with your wifes labor and you welcome a healthy child to the world

Looks like I snuck in the back door on this one. See you guys there.

Contact me on FB if you want, plus you can see a pic of who to look for

Look up Donavan Darius from Union Lake, MI

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Make good use of your last minute miracle, Dark Warrior.

And best wishes to the new parents and baby.

Life really is what happens when you had other plans. But it's all "grist for the writing mill," so use whatever you're given.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on getting in, Donavan!
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Yeatts
Member # 9500

Yay!!!!! I hate that someone had to drop out but I'm happy that you're in too! Just sent you a friend request on FB. See you in a couple days!
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome Donovan! Have fun!
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, Donavan - glad you get the opportunity!
Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micmcd
Member # 7977

If anyone is going to be around earlyish on Monday, I'll be in. There's registration that day too, and I'd rather not drive out and back an extra time (I live 1.5 hrs away).

See you guys there if I can find you. How big is the class, anyway? I have no concept of the size of this thing.

Posts: 500 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Congrats on the baby.. glad everyone is doing fine including the father. You never know how they might react sometimes.

And congrats to you for getting in. Nice work, say hi to OSC for me even though he has no idea who I am.... does he teach these things by himself?

And say to hi from me to who ever you see from here.

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

Thanks all! just made my flight and hotel reservations...weird story--

I was just telling some people how I was an alternate but havent heard from them in months...no sooner than I finished the sentence I got the call.

skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
It all worked out in the end...

Congrats to all.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Yeatts
Member # 9500

@ micmcd, I'll be there early Monday as well. I as wondering how big the first part was too. Too bad you can't bring Roland with you... I know I'd recognize him!
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

Last year there were about 30 in the workshop and not sure on boot camp but like 8 or 10.
genevive42
Member # 8714

I think our Boot Camp group was fourteen people. From previous experience, I think that was deemed the maximum number of people to make it work well and give everyone fair time on their stories.

If you can get your story in early, even the first day, I highly recommend it. Once you're done, it feels really good and all you have to worry about is critting others work. That in itself is a lot of work. Trust me, go early if you can.

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

So have we all met each other yet?
micmcd
Member # 7977

I don't know; where are you sitting in the auditorium? I'm the guy on the left side in an athletic jacket b/c it's freaking cold in here.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.