Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » H.P.'s B-day

Author Topic: H.P.'s B-day
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Today would have been the 121st birthday of Howard Phillips Lovecraft, one of, if not the most influential horror/weird fiction writer of the 20th century. He's a great influence on me as a storyteller, and his works have brought me much enjoyment over the years, so I post this thread to celebrate the memory of one of the greatest of us.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've dipped into his work from time to time...by chance, I stumbled across three of the "Selected Letters" volumes...besides, the good stuff is all in public domain now...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crane
Member # 9586

- posted      Profile for Crane   Email Crane         Edit/Delete Post 
121... well on his way to becoming an elder god.
Posts: 99 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
"That is not dead which can eternal lie / And with strange aeons even death may die. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtan"--HPL

Happy Birthday, HPL.

Oddly enough, I began a story today that will include selected elements of HPL's Cthulhu mythos.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooo Doctor Bob, I must read it! Is there Kabbalah too?
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.
And a dark carnival,
And the Geow-lud-mo-sis-eg (little people) of the deep Maine woods,
And an abandoned island power plant,
And high school girls lacrosse team Wiccans...
...all amidst the rills and forests and shores of my sleepy hometown brooding over the rocky coast of Maine.
Seems my Kabbalist can't even take a vacation.

Sorry, but I have written only the first two pages and (as you may tell from the above) a sketch more than an outline (the story only came to me yesterday). I suspect (>sigh< ) this will be yet another unsaleable novelette/novella length story--if and when I complete it.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

The ones you think are unsaleable are often the first to sell. But I can't resist dark carnivals and Kabbalah and tentacles, it just isn't in me.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Sooner or later, we all make an attempt at a Cthulhu Mythos story...mine landed smack dab in the middle of my Internet Fan Fiction period.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crane
Member # 9586

- posted      Profile for Crane   Email Crane         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of, has anyone read China Mieville's Kraken? The ultimate tribute to tentacles raised to godhood, imho. I devoured that book.
Posts: 99 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

It's on my to-read list, at some point. I've read Perdido Street Station, the Scar and King Rat and I'm still not quite sure how I feel about Mieville.

I just saw a very nice documentary called "Lovecraft: Fear of the Unknown" that I definitely recomend.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.