Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Apex Magazine

Author Topic: Apex Magazine
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering from folks who have submitted to Apex Magazine before (as in the Apex Book Company magazine).

Is it a standard form rejection if they say 'try us again soon'?

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
here is the standard rejection I received 9 days ago. I got a couple from them before and they were the same message.

quote:
Apex wishes you future writing successes, and to try us again soon.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

That is what I got, Snapper. I'm wondering how seriously I should take the 'try us again soon' bit, because I'd heard there are tiers of form rejection with some magazines.
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
We had a discussion about this some while back and as I remember, the overall message seemed to be that if such a magazine tells you they'd like to see your work again, they mean it.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

I think I tried them once. I forget what they said. However as someone just said we have discussed statements like yours here before... actually I think it's been twice, and surprisingly- to me anyway- when a mag says try us again it's not just the usual form letter. It's a special form letter.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Merlion is 100% correct. Where you don't want to read too much into a response, it would be unwise to take their words for granted.

If they ask to see more of your work, I would indeed send them more.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

Thanks guys. This is my first such form rejection, so I wasn't sure how to take it despite the fact it'd been discussed before. I guess it is a small victory, if it can be called that.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.