Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » To query, or not to query?

Author Topic: To query, or not to query?
Ethereon
Member # 9133

- posted      Profile for Ethereon   Email Ethereon         Edit/Delete Post 
Escape Pod's had a story of mine 170 days so far. According to Duotrope their average response time is 102 days, but I know their response times vary widely and can be quite long (there is no estimated response time in their submission guidelines even though Duotrope lists 60 days).

Nevertheless I am itching to query if it hits 180 days. What do you highly experienced folks say? Bad idea?

If it would be reasonable to query, how does one usually word such a thing? I imagine it should be sparse and direct like a cover letter. Would any of you highly experienced folks be willing to share how you usually word yours?

Thanks!

Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd go ahead and query now. 170 days is a long time.

I usually just say

"Dear Editors

I subbmited *story* on *date* and haven't recieved a response. I'd just like to enquire as to it's status. Thank you for your time."

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

I'm not that much of a pro and I've never queried a story. But I'm not sure if it would hurt in anyway. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see why it would unless it was very close to their stated turnaround time.

As to how, I forget about them but most markets have a statement somewhere to say how you should query. Most say send an E-mail even if they want paper subscriptions. So I say look over their guidelines. If they don't say send an E-mail with query in the header.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethereon
Member # 9133

- posted      Profile for Ethereon   Email Ethereon         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.