Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Q and A dialogue

Author Topic: Q and A dialogue
babooher
Member # 8617

- posted      Profile for babooher   Email babooher         Edit/Delete Post 
I was enjoying a novel the other day when I noticed that a lot of the dialogue tended to be basically a question and answer session. I've noticed my dialogue running that way, too, and I'm worried. It feels contrived to me, like the only reason the characters are talking is to provide information. At first glance I don't have a problem, I mean it sounds okay, but I'm noticing this structurally. Am I paranoid? Is this something to be mindful of?
Posts: 823 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Question and answer dialogue, colloquy, is one of the main dialogue types, Two others: echo dialogue, a kind of repetition scheme, and non sequitur dialogue, or does not follow. Potent dialogue uses all three in assorted combinations and permutations.

For example, colloquy and echo;
What did you say?
I said forget about it.
No, what you said before that.

"Say" and "said" and "what" echoes.
Non sequitur and echo;
I'm gonna scream if you don't let it go. Which doesn't follow as an answer to the pending question.
"It" echoes the previous "it."

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
Some real conversations are question and answer sessions, so they don't have to be avoided.

I do think that sometimes writers use it to get info to the reader, and it comes off as "as you know Bob" dialogue.

This really isn't any different than any other dialogue. Make sure your characters are saying things they really would say and not things you just want the reader to know.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.