Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Printer? Anyone got a suggestion?

Author Topic: Printer? Anyone got a suggestion?
enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

- posted      Profile for enigmaticuser   Email enigmaticuser         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my current hand me downs are all in a state of mutiny so I figure its about time for me to get a new one.

I'm looking for a black and white printer, that I'll be able to get lots of run from each cartridge and a good long life from it. I had a HP Laserjet III I think it was years ago and it was awesome so I was headed down that path again, but I thought if anyone knew about a writers needs in a printer, this would be the group.

Oh, and around $100.

Posts: 336 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
You just can't go wrong with an HP, though you might want to check out the Kodak printers. I've heard you can save a mint when it comes to ink cartridges. I don't know about your area, but Best Buy has always been excellent in answering my questions on electronics and computer equipment. They've bailed me out of a sticky wicket more than once when I wasn't sure which way to go on a purchase. Good prices too.
Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a HP laser off Ebay a few years ago. Runs great, toner lasts ages and is cheap to replace. It was being sold by someone who was replacing all the hardware in an office block and getting rid of the old stuff. Cost me about £20 with postage. Bargain.
Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm happy with my wireless Brother printer, though it's a bit involved to initially set it up, it works like a dream once setup. It's wifi enabled so I can print from any computer in the house, and it's laser so the quality is high. I order refill ink from Costco where it's 20-40% cheaper than the office supply stores (though I have to buy it in a larger cartridge, but then the cartridge lasts something ridiculous like 2000 pages or more.)
Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still with a printer-with-cartridges---right now it's an HP Officejet 6500A---but the thing goes through even the long-lasting cartridges in a month and a half, so I'd throw it over in a second for something that'd use less, and use it cheaper.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever you get, if you've got a wireless set-up, get a wireless printer. I've got a photo printer and a color laser printer. Both are wireless which means I can have them across the room plugged into a different wall and they work!

Less wires means less of a mess around your writing area. I really don't use a printer much anymore. I only submit over the internet and e-publish on my own.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

- posted      Profile for enigmaticuser   Email enigmaticuser         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, looks like I'm throwing in my hat with the Laserjet Pro cause HP had it on sale and I remember loving that old Laserjet III. It can do wireless, prints double sided and 26 ppm.

I don't do a lot of printing, but I do end up wanting to have a hard copy that can't 'crash'. Plus, I thought for my final edit I'd give the old hard copy a try and see how much difference that makes with it in a different format.

Plus, I'd like to be able to print my restaurant menus =)

Posts: 336 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm addicted to paper for my first major edit pass. Love it, even at 250, 300, 350 pages. I put 'em in a binder and just read it like a regular book.

Good luck, sounds like a good printer!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yeah, that too...I print out my first draft and type it into a new file, revising as I go...some twisted notion of making myself consider each and every sentence and word...

But I do a lot of printing besides that...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

Works great for the first 472 pages. It might have slipped a little on the double sided print cause in a later smaller batch I found a couple singles. Could just be the paper.

I suppose I can't blame it for the typo on page 5 though?

Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm to the point where I hoard old HP LaserJets (have picked up several for free) because there's nothing else in their league for durable (both the printer and the printed page), and the only thing cheaper per page is pin-impact. And most of them can scrape by on the old HPLJ2 or 3Si drivers that come with just about every operating system on the planet.

There's really no such thing as a quality printer for under ~$300; below that price -- and especially with inkjets -- it's all razor economics (razor: free; razor blade: pay up!)

Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by enigmaticuser:
I suppose I can't blame it for the typo on page 5 though?

My old 286 had some bad memory and would occasionally substitute characters, so it actually did generate typoes!!
Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.