Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Do You Blog your WIPs?

Author Topic: Do You Blog your WIPs?
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
So I just started my own author blog, and I've been waffling on an issue. I wanted to blog about my WIPs, the ideas behind them, and their progress. What do you folks think? What are the pros and cons of doing this, and do you do it yourself?
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
There nothing wrong with doing that. I've seen it on a lot of author sites. The key thing is that you've got to finish the WIP in a reasonable timeframe to maintain credibility.

My own credibility's been stretched a bit on my Guy Antibes site.

I'd say go for it if you want to. Just make sure you don't let your project sit or you'll take some of the steam out of your site.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure. I even occasionally post snippets.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, I blog about my WIPs, but I'm pretty vague about it. I don't mention any plot specifics or the title, in case I end up entering that story in WotF.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed that at least some pros blog about their WIPs so I decided to go ahead and do the same. How much detail I put in just depends on the moment. Sometimes very, very little beyond the title and sometimes some details.
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

quote:
Originally posted by JenniferHicks:
Sure, I blog about my WIPs, but I'm pretty vague about it. I don't mention any plot specifics or the title, in case I end up entering that story in WotF.

Yeah, I have a post about my WotF WIP that I have yet to publish, and I'm not sure if I'm being vague enough. On the one hand, I want the reader to be excited about the post, but on the other, I don't want to reveal too much.
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heresy
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Heresy   Email Heresy         Edit/Delete Post 
I blog about my WIP(s) but nothing about plot and very thin on character or world details. Mostly it's about my progress, lessons learned and plans. I haven't had anything yet ready enough to post part of, but I'm thinking of putting up a sample chapter or two when I epub my first book. We'll see what I think when I'm at that stage though.

-Julie

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
I mention them in a vague kind of way. I'll note progress but no plot details as such.
Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have a post about my WotF WIP that I have yet to publish
I wouldn't suggest any but the merest suggestion of what you're working on for any contest, especially WotF. As for me, I wouldn't put it anywhere on my blog.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

Oddly, after reading everyones responses, I've decided not to post my WIPs. My rationale is that my reason for doing so would be to generate interest in the work, and that requires a certain level of detail that many seem to recommend against it. Maybe I'll do it for non-contest stories in the future, but not for this one.
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, of course, when I say that I blog about my WIPs, they're novels, not potential WotF entries. [Smile]
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heresy
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Heresy   Email Heresy         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know that you need to get into detail to generate interest though. I've had a number of people say that, from the things I say about my characters, they're looking forward to reading my first book. Except all I say is that their names are Fay and Tavis and that Tavis argues with me a lot about what needs to go in the story. Honestly, that's really it. I haven't talked about the story at all, I only revealed the title recently, and yet there is at least some interest already.

*shrugs*

-Julie

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angel011
Member # 9765

- posted      Profile for angel011   Email angel011         Edit/Delete Post 
I had one blog post about my WiP, a non-fiction book about cats, and it involved a short non-fiction piece I've written years ago and which was already online anyway.
Posts: 62 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't blog, just post here and there...and when I mention what I'm working on, I generally don't go into much detail, only that I am working on something.

I've found that if I go into too much detail, be it something like a blog post, or just outlining it, that it often dies on me. The act of putting it down in abbreviated form kills my need to tell the story in greater detail.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Nowall:
I don't blog, just post here and there...and when I mention what I'm working on, I generally don't go into much detail, only that I am working on something.

I've found that if I go into too much detail, be it something like a blog post, or just outlining it, that it often dies on me. The act of putting it down in abbreviated form kills my need to tell the story in greater detail.

That is pretty interesting, the effect is sort of the opposite for me. I find it gets me excited to see the story in its fully-realized form. I often e-mail myself nascent story ideas because I'm always afraid I'll lose them to the ether of my mind if I don't write them down somewhere. I can then revisit my notes when I am ready to write the story.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I read that P. G. Wodehouse wrote "scenarios" of his novels up to thirty thousand words. Something like that would just be the writing of it for me---I don't think I could go on. (Of course he had people who would buy his stuff one he finished it.)

I once wrote a biography of a main character that ran over ten thousand words---then never finished the novel she was going to be in.

By the way, I rarely post anything here in the First Thirteen sections, and nothing at all for some years. I never seem to have anything available, though I could generate endless First Thirteens that I never finished...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
As I said I've seen pros that do this to various degrees. One gave a step by step description of the revising of her latest. It looked like over ten posts.
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

- posted      Profile for enigmaticuser   Email enigmaticuser         Edit/Delete Post 
For me my blog is my hub for directing potential readers, since I foresee continuing to self-pub for the foreseeable future.

So I blog my WIP in a journalistic fashion, saying how things are going lessons learned, hurdles that sort of thing but without being specific (like everyone else here I guess). Basically shop talk.

But I also keep a seperate page for WIPs where I give like a paragraph teaster/blurb about them. I think both are important because one shows I'm currently working on a new story so if you like what I've written keep checking back. The latter is important because it says that not only do I have writing I'm doing, I also have a plan for the future. I'm not just a one-hit (I'd like to be a hit!) wonder.

To get that following you need to keep reminding the public you're there (in our restaurant we know that only too well).

Posts: 336 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.