Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Benefits of reading fiction

Author Topic: Benefits of reading fiction
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Article on the benefits of reading fiction that those who write fiction might want to keep in mind.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ForlornShadow
Member # 9758

- posted      Profile for ForlornShadow   Email ForlornShadow         Edit/Delete Post 
I read because I love doing it. I never could have guessed it was so beneficial. Thanks for posting.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt.Simpson01
Member # 8937

- posted      Profile for Matt.Simpson01   Email Matt.Simpson01         Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting article. I read often, and my reading varies drastically. I have been listening to the Black Dagger Brotherhood series which is a fantasy romance series which is quite interesting when you look past the R and X-rated material in it. I've also been reading some of the Star Trek books, the Barsoom series about John Carter by Edgar Rice Burroughs. As the author stated, I love a good show myself, and watch several different series every week.

I can't put a name on the book that got me started reading science fiction and fantasy since my dad had a lot of those books, but the one I remember the most is My Teacher is an Alien by Bruce Coville. It was a small series of three or four books that I got at the book fairs held at my school.

Posts: 53 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
Why a book and not TV? Watch TV and you'll be brain dead by fifty. Read books and you'll still be young at hundred.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Justin
Member # 9826

- posted      Profile for Justin   Email Justin         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's possible to benefit from watching TV, but you have to fight to keep it an active experience. It's so easy to just zone out and let a show sort of wash over you. I know that when I watch a film critically, it's a very different experience from when I'm just trying to be entertained/distracted.
Posts: 20 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I've wondered if I should switch from writing fiction to writing non-fiction---it's mostly non-fiction I read right now---but, somehow, that appeals to me less than fiction writing right now...

I can certainly name the book that started me on science fiction: Heinlein's Space Cadet. And the circumstance---I'd read all the books in the elementary school library by Marguerite Henry (Misty of Chincoteague and other similar "horse books") and let my finger wander along the shelf from "Henry" to "Heinlein," and found a copy of Space Cadet (and, later, five others by Heinlein.)

It's easy for me to remember this...it's the fulcrum of the lever of my life...I suppose I should be grateful that "Henry" was so close in the alphabet to "Heinlein," but the jury's still out on that one...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting.

I knew some of that already but reading this helps to support what I knew and to learn of new things...which reading is suppose to do.

The social skills point I don't think I hadn't read before but it makes sense.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattLeo
Member # 9331

- posted      Profile for MattLeo   Email MattLeo         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think fiction is good for us or bad for us. I think it's what we do as a species, the way birds build nests or ants build ant hills. We create stories with the people around us and ourselves in them and act them out.

It seems reasonable to me that reading fiction would train habits of thought, but I think that's a double edge sword. Storytelling is behind everything in us that is wise and beautiful, but it's also behind everything in us that is brutish, stupid and coarse. So while the job of a fiction writer is to entertain, I think there's also a duty to do so intelligently.

Posts: 1459 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.