Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » David Farland's Kick in the Pants and Writers of the Future

Author Topic: David Farland's Kick in the Pants and Writers of the Future
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Those of you who submit stories to Writers of the Future and to anywhere else might be interested in today's issue of David Farland's Daily Kick in the Pants.

He's the new coordinating judge for Writers of the Future taking over from the late great K.D. Wentworth. His top ten reasons for rejecting a story is a good scale to determine if your work is too amateurish for getting past the rejection stage.

A sample:

quote:
2) The story is unbelievable. “Johnny Verve was the smartest kid on earth, and he was only six. He was the strongest one, and the most handsome, too. But the coolest part was when he found out he had magical powers!” At that point, I’m gone, and not just because there were four uses of “was” in three sentences.
His next daily kick will talk about getting past the "Honorable Mention" stage. That's where I am currently, so I'll be interested.

His website is http://www.DavidFarland.net if you're interested in signing up. If you don't email me and I'll forward you my copy. It's good view into a judge's mind.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabirch
Member # 9832

- posted      Profile for rabirch   Email rabirch         Edit/Delete Post 
This is great information and I am really looking forward to tomorrow's posting as well. I also haven't broken the Honorable Mention barrier, so the insight will be fabulous, I'm sure.
Posts: 248 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read it already and it is good.

However like must lists like that from editors my stories-writing hardly ever fit into them. With the possibly exception of, I think, number six in this list...as far as I know anyway.

My problems are usually elsewhere.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
The best thing about that article is that it makes me feel smart. [Big Grin]

I went ahead and read some more articles on that page. The one that stuck in my mind most was the "put your character in pain". Here's a quote:
quote:
If you put the reader into too much discomfort, the reader may close the book, not because the tale doesn’t interest them, but because it becomes emotionally overcharged.
That there is the reason why I didn't enjoy reading Hunger Games. I said in my review that Hunger Games was majestic and riveting but not enjoyable. I now know why.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, I'd really like to write that story. Not that I'd send it out to someone, I'd just like to write it.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattLeo
Member # 9331

- posted      Profile for MattLeo   Email MattLeo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Johnny Verve was the smartest kid on earth, and he was only six. He was strongest one, and the most handsome, too. But the coolest part was when he found out he had magical powers!
Well, I'm hooked. Let's see where the author manages to take this one. Maybe we should have a writing challenge to see who can draft the best second paragraph to this story.

MartinV writes:
quote:
I went ahead and read some more articles on that page. The one that stuck in my mind most was the "put your character in pain".
I see a lot of openings that attempt this prematurely. You can make the protagonist suffer, but *first* you've got to get the reader invested in him.

Why do novice authors make this mistake? In part I believe they're led astray by the misleading terminology we use: "hooking" the reader. That seems to imply (at least to non-fishermen) that you can just snag the reader and then he's good as yours. What we call "hooking" is more often like laying a fire; nursing that spark of interest along until it's large enough to consume whole logs of plot developments. Not smothering reader interest is why many effective openings so often involve a hiatus in action; a moment at least where the protagonist pauses, giving the reader a chance to orient himself.

But I think something else is going on with these crucify-the-POV-character openings. I often get the feeling that an author doing this doesn't quite have a story yet. He's pictured is protagonist at the climax hanging from the edge of a cliff, but doesn't quite know how to get him there. He attempts to cover the fact he doesn't know where to start the story or how to set the protagonist in motion by larding the opening with melodrama.

quote:
That there is the reason why I didn't enjoy reading Hunger Games.
You'll note that Collins doesn't make the mistake of crucifying Katniss on the first page. Rather, she shows Katniss dealing with the hard, but manageable day-to-day problems of her life before the inciting incident.
Posts: 1459 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ForlornShadow
Member # 9758

- posted      Profile for ForlornShadow   Email ForlornShadow         Edit/Delete Post 
MattLeo you're right that you don't have to start off the story with a major incident on the first page. But putting the character in pain doesn't necessarily mean major incident, it could be just the simple frustrations and stresses that we encounter on a day to day basis.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
The honorable mention kick is up.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, now I know why my 2011 Q4 story got an HM. I was never really happy with the ending. I just couldn't come up with anything better. If I ever do, maybe I'll resubmit it. After all, David Farland hasn't seen it. [Smile]
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Notwald
Member # 9831

- posted      Profile for Notwald   Email Notwald         Edit/Delete Post 
These seem like some pretty useful suggestions. I wouldn't mind signing up to get them via email. But, I don't see a place to do that. Do I have to register as a member of the site? Or am I just missing something obvious?
Posts: 18 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
A book that I found very uncomfortable to read was THE HELP. I finished it, but it was hard to come back to for a while, because I could imagine what might happen to those women if they were caught, and even though it was only potential pain, it was too much for me at times.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to just see past kicks on Farland's site, they are under writer's tips. If you sign up as a member (click on member) then you can elect to get the Daily Kick newsletter.

http://www.DavidFarland.net

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Some interesting stuff on the Ten reasons kick and the HM kick.

He gives examples of his points and I wonder how many try to recognize this story?

Yes, I have. On the HM kick he tells of a story he read a few days ago that might be, in a way, could be, maybe is, mine. So far it's the only one that is even that close. [Smile]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.