Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Did You Write - July 2, 2012

Author Topic: Did You Write - July 2, 2012
Heresy
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Heresy   Email Heresy         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it's that time of the week again, time for the kick in the pants. The idea is that having somewhere to report progress will spur you on to make some. So I'm posing the question to all of us here. Did you write this week? As we have been reminded in the past, writing for the purposes of this thread can mean just about anything you want. You did some editing? Report it here. Outlining, pre-writing or any other kind of prep work? Sure, that counts too. And, of course, writing new work always counts.

I finished the outline for All Stitched Up, which is my longest and in many ways most complex to date. I'm a bit nervous about writing it, but it's not time for that yet, so I'm trying not to think too much about it. Instead, I've been editing the first book in my Necromantic trilogy, Where The Ether Flows. That's been progressing slowly but surely. The first round of editing is always slow for me, as the first draft always need the most and deepest work. What a shock [Smile] But I've gotten the first 6 chapters done, and out to the end of chapter 7 marked up, so I feel like I've made some real progress. It's almost a third of the book. Of course, it's doing the usual for my work when I edit, growing, but as I write short in the first place, I can live with that. It's just filling in the grace notes on the story, really.

I've started using my twitter account, @jlizhill, and I wrote a few blog posts.

Additionally, I had a fairly cool story idea land on my head, plus some work done on a few others. A very productive week, I'd say, even without working on a new draft of something.

How about you?

-Julie

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
I've not written anything for weeks. Been too busy elsewhere, but I'm almost done there and have some holiday time coming up. I've a novel to finish and a few ideas bubbling around in my head.
Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I did. I'm back working on the first draft of THE BARD'S GIFT and making pretty good headway.

Also started a crit and did two blog posts.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcmann
Member # 9757

- posted      Profile for rcmann   Email rcmann         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying. I won't claim it's fit to read.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattLeo
Member # 9331

- posted      Profile for MattLeo   Email MattLeo         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, fiddled a bit with *The Keystone* manuscript, but I'm still waiting on some feedback from pre-readers so it feels a bit aimless.

I drafted and sent out a query to an agent I found by googling "quirky science fiction fantasy literary agent". The banner on the agency's headline says they're not accepting any queries (when was the last time you saw a blink tag?), but if you drill down to the agent bios you'll see that one of them is, and in fact he writes about it on his blog. Just by chance I found out this guy has a reputation for responding to queries quickly, usually in a day or two. He only requests manuscripts less than one percent of the time, which may be why he has time to respond so quickly.

Posts: 1459 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty much shut down...lack of ideas at the moment. Writer's block? Maybe. But I'll dig something out and break out of this slump, sooner or later.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
A slow week overall, but I won't complain as my father finally got out for a visit.

But Sunday came and I wrote, finished, edited and submitted.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wise
Member # 9779

- posted      Profile for wise   Email wise         Edit/Delete Post 
I reworked (added on to) my short story that was rejected by Asimov's SF magazine. Now I'm waiting for my friend to read it and give me feedback before I submit it to another. I'll keep trying!

I also worked a (very) little on my novel. I'm finding it hard to set aside a large enough chunk of time to get done what I need to. Even though I have the summer off from work, my time has been filled with doing everything except writing. Argh.

Posts: 95 | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GreatNovus
Member # 9671

- posted      Profile for GreatNovus   Email GreatNovus         Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote a letter recounting what happened to me almost a month ago. No fiction today, but after owning a friendly game of cards I got a bug i need to get out of my writing system [Smile]
Posts: 91 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I did even most of the writing was revising a novel.

And rewriting a story.

I worked a tiny bit on another novel and major revised another shorter story.

I also posted notes here and on two other forums. Wrote a letter to the editor, e-mails. Critted three or four stories, and did a last very partial revision of a story and sent it out.

And three or four posts Here

I believe that is all.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Wrote about 3,000 words on my novel.

Continued to plan my WotF story.

Had grandkids staying so that slowed me up.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Neglected to mention that I started one of my semi-annual timewasters---cutting out comics printouts and taping them into spiral notebooks. It's a convenience for me, rather than having to hunt through years of archived comics online (and even those that come out in books are often five or six years old). But it does take up time I might easily be writing...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.