Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Did You Write - July 9, 2012

Author Topic: Did You Write - July 9, 2012
Heresy
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Heresy   Email Heresy         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it's that time of the week again, time for the kick in the pants. The idea is that having somewhere to report progress will spur you on to make some. So I'm posing the question to all of us here. Did you write this week? As we have been reminded in the past, writing for the purposes of this thread can mean just about anything you want. You did some editing? Report it here. Outlining, pre-writing or any other kind of prep work? Sure, that counts too. And, of course, writing new work always counts.

I've been busy on two fronts, neither with draft writing, but writing nonetheless. I've been making notes on several ideas, finished my outline for All Stitched Up (Book 2 of my Necromantic trilogy) and started editing Where The Ether Flows, the first book of that trilogy. I've finished the first 9 chapters of 24, as of last night.

Several blog posts, and me still figuring out this Twitter thing also kept me busy this week.

How about the rest of you? Did you write?

-Julie

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. A couple of chapters on THE BARD'S GIFT.

Also, a couple of crits and two blog posts.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
About ten thousand words of my novel and 1,500 words on my WotF story.

Crits on about 40,000 words of short stories.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crit!

I've managed to get down around 3k of my Q4 WotF as well as crit a few WotF openings and one full story from the Ghosts group.

I've painted myself into a corner with my Q4, however, and I have to cut in order to unskew my timeline. (Picture Dr. Emmet Brown and a chalkboard.)

I'm not looking forward to that and keep finding distracting things to do instead...

Like. This. Forum.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried out my page-a-day-on-a-typewriter technique for breaking writer's block...and not only did I hate the page I wrote so much I doubt if I'll go back to it, but two other stories clawed their way out of my subconscious and demanded my attention. I'll get to one of 'em, probably on the page-a-day basis (since nothing's written down yet), probably later today, and the other will wait on my locating the half-finished draft on one of my old diskettes.

So at least writing that one page did some good.

(Also I finished my time-wasting computer-printout-cutting-up job, so that's out of the way. I've got a few other time wasters lined up, though.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wise
Member # 9779

- posted      Profile for wise   Email wise         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo-hoo! I'm on a roll! I've been working on the ending for my short story, "Summer Snapshot". I reworked the whole story to add some meat to it, and as of today I've written my third ending. But they keep getting better, so I'm feeling good about them. I think this last one I wrote today will be it, but I'll sleep on it and reread it again before I submit it.

I also have done considerable work on my novel since last Friday. I may break it into two parts for publishing purposes. I'm getting close to the end of the first part - maybe a few more chapters. So far I've got about 59,000 words written. I even decided on a title last night, which is a big step!

Posts: 95 | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
Just got going then a fox went and slaughtered all my chickens. I've not been in the mood for writing at all.
Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pdblake:
Just got going then a fox went and slaughtered all my chickens. I've not been in the mood for writing at all.

Ouch! When you've had a chance to deal with this loss, pdblake, maybe you can write a story about a fox hunt, a particularly vicious fox hunt, run, perhaps, by giant chickens?
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabirch
Member # 9832

- posted      Profile for rabirch   Email rabirch         Edit/Delete Post 
I've gotten probably two thousand words done on my Q4 for WotF. Must bring it to a close by the 14th, so I've got more words staring me in the face. Yay!
Posts: 248 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
First week in a while I didnt finish a story, but got 2 started, hopefully will finish both this week to make up for the past week. Other than that, edited, and submitted.
Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
Might just set the trolls on one KDW:)
Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
telflonmail
Member # 9501

- posted      Profile for telflonmail   Email telflonmail         Edit/Delete Post 
None, nada, zip, zero.

Editing mode after a critique. Out came the polishing paste. It was applied liberatingly to the draft setting the words free from confinement of banality.

Posts: 116 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.