Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Public Word Counts

Author Topic: Public Word Counts
babooher
Member # 8617

- posted      Profile for babooher   Email babooher         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone post their personal writing goals on their social media accounts? I'm dying to get back to my 1,000 words a day mentality and so I've publicly declared my goal and I've been posting daily word counts. Anybody else do anything like this?
Posts: 823 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
I did post my current WIP's word count on my blog but it's hard to count lately with all the comments I've added through text. Other than that, I don't see the point of putting stuff like that online if there's no feedback (which it's usually true in blogs).

As long as you get some writing done, do what feels right for you.

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babooher
Member # 8617

- posted      Profile for babooher   Email babooher         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted a goal others would know about and even if they won't say anything if I don't make it, I'll suspect they're disappointed. I've been trying this out as motivation.
Posts: 823 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heresy
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Heresy   Email Heresy         Edit/Delete Post 
Every time I start a new one, I talk about my progress in my blog, including updates. Nothing like having to admit failure to make you work [Smile] And I know people are watching for the update, because they comment when I make them. Helps fuel the fire.

I don't announce goals for editing, but that's because it's too hard to measure well.

-Julie

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Just here, if this counts as social media, and just in increments of "what I'm doing this week," and / or how long the damned thing is when it's done.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I do at times on my blog. Usually not word counts though. Every so often if I think the occasion calls for it but that is very few times.

But if I want to write a certain number of stories or doing NaNoWriMo or want to write a certain type of story, or one for a certain contest, I will usually post those type of goals.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I do during Nanowrimo and am always surprised at how many other people participate and/or cheer me on. I sometimes do when working on a specific project outside of Nano but mostly just in nano.
Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
I've mentioned it on my blog from time to time, but I'm of the basic opinion that the only person interested in my daily word count is me.

On that note...I'm very religious about tracking my daily progress. I used to blame my lack of new content on the amount of time I spent editing. Now, since I have (almost) completely stopped myself from the detrimental habit of editing while writing my first drafts, I am now cranking out more new words a day, which means (in theory) I will produce more publishable stores. My tracking of this number reminds me of how much progress I've made in this area, and also serves as a motivator to write more.

S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

- posted      Profile for enigmaticuser   Email enigmaticuser         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't post word counts, but important milestones, like the home stretch and the muggy middle regularly make cameos.

I'm finding deadlines are more useful for myself (though I missed the first one I set due to computer problems).

I post this kind of stuff and others on my blog, but so far I only get spam comments . . . which strangely add no motivation. Le sigh.

Posts: 336 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
I did it for my novel and I found it pushed me to get it done. But I haven't done it for the second one yet.
Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Just wanted to say that I just made some public goals just for this weekend dealing with just writing,

http://musingsofle.blogspot.com/2012/08/goals-this-weekend.html

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
naomisarah
Member # 9843

- posted      Profile for naomisarah           Edit/Delete Post 
I do occasionally post word counts, but most of my online friends are non-writers so it doesn't make much sense to them. Sometimes, I post a combination of word/page counts, because non-writer friends understand that better, even though I certainly know the page count depends largely on font and spacing and doesn't equal the page count of a printed book.
Posts: 17 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

A PS--on my blog--on my weekend goal which starts tonight,

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.