Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Did You Write - August 20, 2012

Author Topic: Did You Write - August 20, 2012
Heresy
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Heresy   Email Heresy         Edit/Delete Post 
It's that time of the week again, time for the kick in the pants. The idea is that having somewhere to report progress will spur you on to make some. So I'm posing the question to all of us here. Did you write this week? As we have been reminded in the past, writing for the purposes of this thread can mean just about anything you want. You did some editing? Report it here. Outlining, pre-writing or any other kind of prep work? Sure, that counts too. And, of course, writing new work always counts.

I had a very good week of writing, putting in another 37,007 words on All Stitched up for August NaNo. The manuscript now total 73,396 words. It took a detour during writing last night, but it's the good kind that's so much better than my original plan, so I can take it philosophically. [Smile]

I made a few notes on existing ideas but, as usual when writing draft, no new ones came in. I can live with that too, given the number already on the back burner.

Also, some blog entries.

Oh, and my cover designer delivered some concept art for my first book. We did some emailing back and forth about it. Then she paid me quite the compliment. She said she was sucked into the book. [Big Grin]

So, how about everyone else? Did you write?

-Julie

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
An exact repeat of last week---five hundred words on Sunday. But some time opened up this afternoon and I might squeeze something in---this thread did go up a little earlier than usual.

I did expend a little literary effort on writing a grievance statement.

One thing about my new work is that it's starting to look like another of my twenty-thousand worders. I've gone five thousand words so far and haven't gotten to the main action.

What can I say? A character from an older story turned up and had to explain why he was there. And the main character has computer-memory flashbacks involving her relationship with another character.

I'll go for it, and when it's finished I'll see what I can do. My last one (alas, not finished, waiting on me to drop everything and write a song for it) came in at twenty thousand and I cut it to five. But I don't know if that'll work for this one...

(I do wish I could push it a little further and come out at novel-length in the end...)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Novel rewrites. A few thousand words.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Not as much as usual because of WriteOnCon. Mostly on the first draft of THE BARD'S GIFT, still and jotting down a couple of ideas on another project. Plus a critique and two blog posts.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
No writing yet, but am getting an idea for something to write. I told my writing partner about it and she likes the basic concept. I will write it as a story idea so I have a good idea where the story goes and see if she likes that before I write it outright.

It looks like I might be moving back home this week. There are advantages and disadvantages. I am about ready. Once home, writing will become serious.

I do not know if I will return to doing the regular story ideas. I can no longer claim I am doing an idea a day. I am four months behind and won't ever catch up. I likely have come up with two dozen concepts since the accident so the idea flow is not going either.
It will leave more time for serious writing.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmsf
Member # 9905

- posted      Profile for kmsf   Email kmsf         Edit/Delete Post 
I was not as productive this week as I'd hoped. I completed the draft of last week's new chapter. Working hard to avoid info dumps. Doing so forces the story to come out during early characterization - especially helpful in fleshing out relationships among characters. They'll talk about the important stuff, no need to force it - just pop in at the right time and write the narrative.

Once I bust the daily wall, the discovery writing takes over. Getting to know my writing habits and foibles.

At any rate, a good week for science research and reading OSC's characterization book. And Mette's column.

Posts: 130 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Great to hear from you rstegman!

Yeah, I wrote, not as much as I wanted, 2 good ideas, but no stories to show for it, a bunch of restarts. [Frown] that hadnt happened in a long time.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.