Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Famous Quotes

Author Topic: Famous Quotes
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
So I did a search through the Hatrack Forums and I've seen we've discussed quotes to some extent or the other many times. But nothing really answers my question.

I am getting my novel ready and I'd like to start the novel with a famous quote from Eleanor Roosevelt.

Basically, this quote will be alone on the page before Chapter 1 starts.

I.E.

"BLAH BLAH BLAH" - Eleanor Roosevelt

Is this okay? Or are famous quotes copyright protected? I've seen this done in many other books, but I don't know if they got permission or not.

Best I can tell the quote doesn't come from a book, or any other printed work.

I didn't want to post the quote here just in case.

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
It's my understanding that if you attribute the quote, as you have, then everything is okay. Also, there are time limits set on copyright and it needs to be renewed from time to time. Depends on the jurisdiction though.
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
A single short, attributed quote from a public figure (which Eleanor Roosevelt certainly was) is probably fair use.

Do some digging on the U.S. Copyright Office website to make sure.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattLeo
Member # 9331

- posted      Profile for MattLeo   Email MattLeo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll step up and take one for the team:
quote:
Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission. -- Elanor Roosevelt
** waits for lawyers to strike **

Yep. Fair use.

Posts: 1459 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's fine. Although if the line comes from a poem or a song then it's a little less fine.

Also something you may want to do is track down exactly where the quote came from because it is possibly a misquote.

"The best thing about the internet is nobody ever checks your sources so you can make up anything you want." ---Abraham Lincoln.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
I've checked it in various sources. I just don't know when it was said.

“It isn't enough to talk about peace. One must believe in it. And it isn't enough to believe in it. One must work at it.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
According to Wikiquotes, it's from a Voice of America broadcast, November 11th, 1951.

Here's a link:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Eleanor_Roosevelt

Regrets that I couldn't find a link to the actual speech right away.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wise
Member # 9779

- posted      Profile for wise   Email wise         Edit/Delete Post 
As I recall, Captain Kirk once said, "Blah, blah, blah" in one of the original Star Trek episodes. So maybe you want to attribute the quote to him instead of E. Roosevelt?

*waits for tomatoes to be thrown*

Posts: 95 | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Quotes for epigraphs are fairly common, and if they are 70 years old or older, it should fall under fair use.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.