Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » New Challenge is up - the 'No Hook' hook challenge

Author Topic: New Challenge is up - the 'No Hook' hook challenge
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Details for the new challenge are here: http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbwriters/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000223;p=0&r=nfx
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
First entries are up and it's been a great response. There's still plenty of time to get yours in. You can enter up to three times.

To read entries:
http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbwriters/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000224;p=0&r=nfx

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

bump
genevive42
Member # 8714

More entries have been posted. Still plenty of time. How will yours stack up?
genevive42
Member # 8714

Don't forget to write your entry this weekend. You have until Sunday night.
genevive42
Member # 8714

Thirteen and a half hours and counting. That's plenty of time to come up with a wee little opening. [Wink]
genevive42
Member # 8714

This challenge is now closed. Voting begins noon today PST.

We have 27 entries from fifteen different authors. Check them out. Any Hatracker can vote even if you didn't enter. Send your votes to me.

If you missed this one, there will be another shortly after voting for this one closes. I'll keep you posted.

Edited to add: If you didn't enter the challenge but want to vote, you must also provide critiques.

[ March 18, 2013, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: genevive42 ]

Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
Do we send critiques to you too, or just post them?
Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by genevive42:
Any Hatracker can vote even if you didn't enter.

That wasn't in the original rules was it?
Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

All votes and critiques get sent to me, to maintain anonymity.

I didn't mention the open voting one way or another in the rules. I'm on another forum where that's the accepted practice and I think it's a good one. More critiques and votes can only give you a better picture of how your piece might be received. More opportunity to learn.

Open voting also encourages participation from people who are interested in the challenge but didn't have time to write something last week.

BTW, I will not be voting because that would break the idea behind it being an anonymous challenge, but I will be including my critiques along with everyone else's.

pdblake
Member # 9218

I don't mind the extra crits, just not sure if someone who didn't take part should get a vote. They could just as easily vote and not crit, which gives those who did participate nothing much really.

Still, it's your challenge and I'm not really fussed either way.

Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

pdblake you have a good point. I'll amend that rule now.

If you did not enter the challenge but you want to vote, you must also provide critiques.

I'll change that above when I'm not typing on an iPod.

pdblake
Member # 9218

I didn't even know you could type on an iPod:)
genevive42
Member # 8714

The iPod Touch has all the capabilities of the iPhone except the phone, because of that it needs wifi. There are even apps that will let you use it as a phone for free.
genevive42
Member # 8714

Just some notes:

Please do your crits in numerical order.

Also, you can't vote for your own entry.

genevive42
Member # 8714

The first three sets of votes are in. One entry already has two first place votes. Another has a second and third place vote. The rest are all over the place. I have a feeling the results are going to be very interesting in the end.
genevive42
Member # 8714

Okay, only one person voted on Tuesday and no one voted on Wednesday. Y'all have me a little worried. I know that you know that voting is an essential part of the challenge. And if you don't vote, your entries will be dq'd and all that work will have been for nothing. So:

Please remember to vote.

This has been a public service announcement. Thank you for listening. [Wink]

pdblake
Member # 9218

Did you get mine alright?
genevive42
Member # 8714

I did get yours, pdblake. Thank you.
tesknota
Member # 10041

- posted      Profile for tesknota   Email tesknota         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been craaaaaaazy busy this week, but if I survive til the weekend, you'll have mine!
Posts: 252 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

You do have until Monday, 6pm PST. My plan is to tally everything and post after I get home from work on Monday night, or maybe Tuesday morning.

This is just a friendly reminder.

genevive42
Member # 8714

Awesome, five more people voted last night. I haven't tallied yet but I am seeing one title appear on a few lists. And it's not one I would have entirely expected.

Very interesting.

genevive42
Member # 8714

Only need one more voter to check in. You all rock!
genevive42
Member # 8714

If all goes well, I'll post the results tonight. I will announce Part 2 of the challenge on Thursday.
genevive42
Member # 8714

Winners and comments are posted. Thank you to everyone who participated. Stay tuned for the next challenge - coming Thursday.

http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbwriters/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000224;p=0&r=nfx

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.