Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » free ebook(s) on writing

Author Topic: free ebook(s) on writing
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
This might be a useful topic, where you all can notify each other about free ebooks on writing.

I'll start by sharing a link to a free kindle book on creating characters.

I have no idea how long this ebook will be free.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
An excerpt from science fiction writer and creative writing professor Damon Knight's Creating Short Fiction "Plot," 1997 [1981] at Archive.org.

"Plot"

This article helped me to understand the many differing ways narratives' dramatic structures are shaped that are nonetheless identical. Though Knight uses terms that are different from ones I've learned and use, like conflict instead of complication, the points he makes are nonetheless insightful and informative. Also, though the book's title implies the poetics text is about short forms, the points are equally applicable to long forms, perhaps parts of long forms, say individual, standalone chapters of novels that synergistically factor up to the whole.

I have, of course, read the entire book, and own a copy.

In this excerpt, Knight offers conventional features for and examples of "The Story of Resolution," "The Story of Revelation," "Trick Endings," "The Story of Decision," "The Story of Explanation," and "The Story of Solution," as well as a "Common Plotting Faults and What to Do About Them"
section, and a discussion about "Unplotted Stories."

[ July 27, 2013, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: extrinsic ]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.