Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Did You Write - November 25, 2013

Author Topic: Did You Write - November 25, 2013
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
It is that time of week to get a kick in the pants.

This is a place to brag about your accomplishments, cry about your failures, and otherwise tell about what is going on in your life.

AS to what is writing, I used to list all sorts of stuff but don't have time tonight. If YOU think it is writing, it is. It matters not what others say. Many times I chose not to count things as writing while they actually were, and have counted things as writing when they really weren't.

I am working on a short children's adventure story involving my Waxy Dragon character. I got to "The end" last week, which was the bones of the story. Now I am adding sinew and meat to the story. I only have a smattering of the fear, dread, and anger the story needs. I am still filling in details to make the bones better. It is taking me into a realm of writing I am not used to.

I have not done a word count but yes, I did write.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I wrote. I've worked some on the rewrite of THE SHAMAN'S CURSE and the rewrite of DREAMER'S ROSE. And I had an epiphany for the revisions to MAGIC AND POWER. [Smile]

Also, a couple of crits and two blog posts.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote a little on Sunday, just enough to make up the last of the five hundred word session I didn't complete last time I wrote.

I did dig up and print out a copy of one of my shorter works. I found I like the premise and early scenes---but I really hate the way it went from there. So that one goes back in the files till I can give it a rethink...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heresy
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Heresy   Email Heresy         Edit/Delete Post 
I ended up switching stories for NaNo, and did a little better than with my other project. Up a little over 25k words now.

-Julie

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my, Wayne Boothe's The Rhetoric of Fiction arrived today. A cursory look between editing jobs--busy day, weekend, week, month catching up in advance of the holiday season's work downturn--the book is thick and heavy, text dense. I guess I'll be enjoying reading it through March. Huzzah! The work's introduction states the focus is on rhetoric (persuasion) principles of non-didactic fiction {not teaching and propoganda fiction).

I'm closer to realizing several areas where I may contribute to the writing conversation opus. One, that dramatic complication is an underrepresented topic, how that applies to audience appeal, and how audience appeal is an area for fiction writers' beginning course of study developing craft and voice skills.

Reading study about writing is writing in my book. And I write.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tank1982
Member # 9959

- posted      Profile for Tank1982           Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote today but i'm not very pleased with the event i've been working on. I'm still writing The Dead and the Dyin' (western) and i'm over 100k words now, but I find myself asking "how do I avoid being repetitive?" There are a lot of gunfights and a lot of action, but I don't like the idea if writing an action movie in book form.

The thing getting me with this scene is that the character is a trained killer and as such he reacts on instincts. So with that said, it just feels very mechanical as i'm writing it. It's like I'm only listing what he's doing throughout this fight l, what he sees, does, and how he reacts.

For the good news, the more I write the easier it is to write. I also posted another blog.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I missed last week because I kept putting it off.

But Yep I did.

Quite a lot--looong stories this time. One will be very close to 24,000 words. I will be cutting some because I forgot a couple character's names so I said The Pilot in one case and phrases like Her Partner in another so using names will cut the word count but at the same time if I do as usual I will add a bunch too especially in this case I need to add some explanation of what country they are in.

Another will probably be between 18 and 20 thousand. A third might be somewhere between 8 and 12 thousand. Seemed like there was something else but can't think of what story it was right now. Oh of course worked on my Q1 story too--it's going to be longer too.

Did a post for my blog that was not done well.

I don't know where to go with that 24,000 word story; not only is it so long but it's my writing. It's not my best and I just found out my best story was no where close to being good.
Something goes for my Q1 story except it won't be so long and for them it has to be more than good.

[ November 25, 2013, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: LDWriter2 ]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tank1982:

The thing getting me with this scene is that the character is a trained killer and as such he reacts on instincts. So with that said, it just feels very mechanical as i'm writing it. It's like I'm only listing what he's doing throughout this fight l, what he sees, does, and how he reacts.

I heard someone talking about the writing of a boxing story with a long fight and how tough that is. I don't remember what he said he did to solve the problem.

What you really need to do is give your character some other problems to think (obsess) about. Since he is operating automatically in the gun fights, you have his internal dialog about his problem, interrupted with the action.
It is much like other kinds of work (driving is an example) where once you have developed the full skills, your mind can wander somewhat while you are weaving through heavy traffic to get to an appointment. In your story, he is not thinking, "cock gun, take aim, squeeze trigger, move out of view, cock gun.....

Just my two cents.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tank1982
Member # 9959

- posted      Profile for Tank1982           Edit/Delete Post 
rstegman

Thank you. A light bulb definitely lit up. Likening it to driving a car is a great analogy.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.