Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Did You Write - February 25, 2014

Author Topic: Did You Write - February 25, 2014
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
It has been a few weeks.

This is a place to brag about your accomplishments, cry about your failures, and otherwise tell about what is going on in your life.

Writing, is what you decide it to be. Blogging, editing, new writing, rewriting, E-mails, as long as they pertain to writing and are wordy, BBS posts, and so on. If you think it is writing, it is.

I have not had much production in the past few weeks. Weekend before last, I left my laptop at home when I went to Mom's house so I could not write while I had some down time. This weekend, I wrote maybe a paragraph at Mom's house, and then several paragraphs at the laundry mat. the laptop is better for a hunt and peck typist than it is touch typing. My biggest problem is hitting the wrong key, or not hitting a key hard enough, then the del and backspace are one on top of the other and I always hit the wrong one. It happens that at the laundry mat, I dropped my mouse and ended up with a black screen and had to reboot, losing what I had just written. The laptop has Ubunto, I think it is, and there is a learning curve for that. I have not used it enough to know the laptop well enough.
I should say that my main computer shut down on me and My nephew is supposed to figure out what it is doing or not doing. That will be a while because of how he is. I am on an emergency (windows 98) computer I had used the last time the main computer was down.
Anyway, I am writing one story on the home computer and a different one on the laptop, and I still have two stories waiting for me to dig into them.

I have a story with the publisher. I just got word that they wanted a scene for the cover and the back of cover blurb. I let my writing partner handle that. I liked her decisions

I hope to write more this week, but it does not look good. I've been doing overtime at work so writing at home tends to be out. It looks good on the paycheck but horrible on the time to do things.

So the question of the day is,
DID YOU WRITE?
I did.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I did write. Two literary analyses of methods for writers started and well in hand. And three narratives started and well in hand: one short fiction, one medium fiction, one long fiction. Wow. All the planning, studying, practicing, and critiquing is paying off. Many quailty words put on the page.

I'm working on an arts council grant fiction application that requires a twenty to thirty page writing sample: two to three short stories. Plus working on short story submissions to digests and fiction competitions and a novel long in planning and started on the page. Well in hand all.

This is my year's writing production schedule.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Finally. After being derailed for most of last week by computer problems.

I finished the revisions to Magic and Power (probably now Green Magic) and began the query pitch.

Plus a blog post.

Feels good to be back.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Been a long three weeks, but...still, nothing. I believe my novel has lost my favor (and needs reorganization). I find thoughts turning to other ideas, and as soon as one excites me, I'll grab it and start again. Or try some kind of jumpstart.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Wrote 60,000 words in the last three weeks to finish the first draft of my current WIP.

Wrote a short story of 6,600 words in the last two days. I went to my blog to put in a post to find that my site has been hacked!

So I did get a chance to write. I'll do some more tonight.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ForlornShadow
Member # 9758

- posted      Profile for ForlornShadow   Email ForlornShadow         Edit/Delete Post 
I barely got to write this week, mostly because of school. However, what I did write wasn't much, that being because I'm still stuck at a place I've been at for the past month. I've tried everything I can think of to help it along and nothing has worked so far...oh well, it'll work out eventually.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brooke18
Member # 10220

- posted      Profile for Brooke18   Email Brooke18         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been writing all the time lately! I've even written a few short stories! I like to write in the hour I have before my classes. Although, I don't like having to get up so early to get to campus!
Posts: 114 | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Owasm:
Wrote 60,000 words in the last three weeks to finish the first draft of my current WIP.

Wrote a short story of 6,600 words in the last two days. I went to my blog to put in a post to find that my site has been hacked!

So I did get a chance to write. I'll do some more tonight.

Your word output continues to amaze me, Owasm. Do you have any life outside of writing? [Wink]

Been ill (now recovered) and managed to begin the final revision of my WOTF Q2 entry (14K) and finally completed the first third (34K) of a novel set in the same world as my WOTF HM tale Lirazel's Heart--but these are stories I've worked on and off on for almost a year.

"Wrote 60,000 words in the last three weeks."
Sheesh. I wish I could. [Smile]

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WolfCreature
Member # 9486

- posted      Profile for WolfCreature   Email WolfCreature         Edit/Delete Post 
Owasm: 60,00 words in the last three weeks?
I'm, lucky to manage that much in 6 months. Impressive and frightening.

Not counting my daily journal writing (300 words a day on average) which is primarily a summary of my boring life punctuated by angry, and presumably witty commentary, I did manage, in the last three days, to write 700 words in a new short story, complete a flash fiction piece (900 words), update a 10-year old one-act play, and begin work on a new one-act play. The new play I have to finish by Friday to make the postmark deadline for a play festival. The Theatre allows you to enter a maximum of 3 plays and not knowing their taste, I am submitting a variety - something trendy, something timeless, and something absurd.

The absurd was the easy one - We write best what we know.

- WolfCreature

Posts: 42 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
Dunno if it counts, but I edited a much-rejected story for a friend, and it immediately sold!!
Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you love it when that happens, Reziac?
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes!!! Especially as this is someone I've mentored from the "OMFG my eyes hurt" stage to where she's not only starting to sell a few, but is also becoming a genuinely good writer whose work needs at most little tweaks.
Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.