Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » POV Question

Author Topic: POV Question
Smiley
Member # 9379

- posted      Profile for Smiley   Email Smiley         Edit/Delete Post 
If a story is written where dialogue is the only way the story is told, and, the main character is the only one with dialogue, what is this style called? The dialogue flows as if the antagonist is responding to unwritten 'other' dialogue. There are other characters but only the main character speaks the story.
Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm I have seen stories like that but I'm not sure of the official POV name. Some type of modified First Person?
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
An apostrophe is an epistolary direct address to a person or persons not present or a personified object or thing that cannot hear. An epistle is a letter-form addressed to a person or persons or personified objects or things. A soliloquy is talking to one's self, or a dramatic monologue, expressed through speech. A dramatic monologue is a speaker's basic nature and behavior and personality (character) revealed by a one-sided conversation with a second person or persons or an audience.

A "main character" who speaks a story to an audience is a raconteur: an artful anecdote storyteller; regardless of whether the audience is present or acknowledged or unacknowledged or not present. Campfire, water cooler, locker room, public social spaces, etc., storytellers are raconteurs. That technique reduced to written word may be an apostrophe, in the form of an epistle, a soliloquy, dramatic monologue, or a False Document, which is a fictitious document or similar: narrative, oration, gossip, rumor, legend, advertisement, film, radio show, motif, etc.; that is taken as factual within a narrative's milieu and setting.

From the given scenario, I'd say the form is of a dramatic monologue, maybe apostrophe, perhaps epistle, probably not a soliloquy, though a soliloquy can be addressed to an audience and the audience not participate or listen.

Any of the above may be first person or third person narrated; second person reflexive is usually a soliloquy.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smiley
Member # 9379

- posted      Profile for Smiley   Email Smiley         Edit/Delete Post 
Fair enough. Thank you for that response. I'll peck in a 13 liner and see if it can be further defined.
Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.