Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Did you Write" May 19, 2015

Author Topic: Did you Write" May 19, 2015
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
It has been a long time.

What is writing, is really up to you. New writing is of course, writing. So is editing, blogging, articles, board posts, Even E-mails can be considered writing if they are wordy and pertain to writing or story. If you decide it is writing, it is.

As for me, I actually got some writing done over this past month. My schedule is tight, so finding writing time has been tough. In three sessions, I wrote four pages on a story concept I explored early last year. it sucks to high heaven, but at least it is on paper.
I've always known that unless you get the words down, all you are doing is fantasizing. This thought is becoming a reality, in a way.

Beyond that, I am too busy to do much else.

For the question of the week (month? year?)

Yes, I did write
did you write?

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Revisions, revisions, revisions. And a little planning for the next book.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I did, and I'm still trying to get the opening right. Check out the Falcon's Wings thread in fragments for Books; it still doesn't have the sound or feel I'm looking for.

There's a new version sitting on my whiteboard tempting me to post it, but it isn't quite right either.

Yes, I'm writing--and I'm damn frustrated by it at the moment.

Phil,

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Been wondering if I should'a posted one myself.

After finishing my last in February, I went through a month of nothing. Then, mid-March, I pulled out one of my anti-writer's-block tricks and worked on novelizing a comic I found online---sometimes I get the urge to do so, but mostly I fight it off. But when I do I find it relaxing to follow the story, or change it, or just add details. (Something definitely not for publication or release, of course.

About midway through that, I had a revelation about a novel I'd worked on last year. I'd planned it to end with a chapter with a wedding, which is where I stuck---but my revelation was that it didn't end where I planned, but in the chapter before, where the main characters hooked up with each other.

Armed with that revelation, I worked on a new draft of that continuously till the middle of last week. It comes up a little short for a novel, forty-six thousand words, but I'm hoping to do some revision and maybe add some background details. (Also it's not science fiction...I'd describe it as a Harlequin Romance written by a science fiction writer.)

Midway through that revision, though, I got the urge to work on another abandoned novel---something in me wanted to rewrite a long-discarded beginning. I did that, and it went on to a long section beyond what I'd written, original material, not entirely inconsistent with the substantial amount I'd written of that novel before, but interesting nonetheless.

Then to compound that, I had an idea for another story, involving the same background, with a few alterations to make the plot work.

Last week, I finished all of that---smack in the middle of a vacation (that ends tonight, as it happens). After that, I rested, making plans to work on things some more over the summer. Whew!

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll go ahead and throw my hat in this ring now. I haven't technically started writing the draft, but I've been doing some outlining/planning for a new novel that I intend to start in a couple weeks (when school lets out; I'm a teacher). My goal is to bang out a draft over the Summer. That means I'll need to write about 8 pages a day, give or take, every day over Summer break. Getting the broad strokes planned out now, though, so I can hit the ground running.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I have.

A story I am completely rewriting for WotF.
Revising on the Novel I am about to set up for preordering for Indie Publishing
On my Next Vibration novel.
A serial I am doing on Google+ that will eventually by Indie published.
Something else I can't think of at the moment.
Blog post or two
various posts about writing on Google+ and other subjects.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Practice of a "voice" that appeals to me and is markedly different from the usual everyday conversation voice common to self-publication par; that is, static voice, unsettled narrative point of view, and declarative statements that are neutrally emotionally charged. Those are not my writing goals. This "voice" is my writing outcome.

My other arts, three-dimensional, stepped up a new phase recently, more artistic appeal emphasis for otherwise utilitarian works, an aesthetic for which I've strove and have now attained -- sensuous curves and shapes, rich and warm color palette, strong and distinct grain and figure, geometric content and organization. Also, new materials, wild-grown cedar, cherry, and holly as well as exotic and imported woods. This too, wood turning bowls and vases, etc., not so much spindle, is expression and composition thus writing-like and enhances my writing synergy-wise. Artware for me must evoke emotional response -- tell a story, so to speak.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
July in May! A very long time!

Today I spit out 352 perfectly good words in ten minutes. If I could, or more accurately would produce like that every day, I wouldn't have a pile of unfinished works here.

Wait, ex, you do woodturning? That's something I've always been interested in but never had a chance to get into. Hoping to acquire a lathe and get started Real Soon Now. First effort at the local club's workshop was not a total fail, so...

Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
I do wood turning, have three lathes and numerous chisels, jigs, and techniques, a whole mini-workshop of tools, favoring bowl turning to spindle. Plus other wood works, miniature chests of drawers to top chests of drawers, drawer cases, and more decorative than functional wares.

I'm working with exotic and domestic hardwoods this summer and self-sawn from log cedar, cherry, and holly lumber for segmented turning. I have a crude chainsaw sawmill I designed from a Beall Beam machine and a homemade and designed chainsaw rip-buck bench. Necessity is the mother spirit of invention.

Intend a portfolio of wares for a gallery exhibit space juried exposition by the end of summer-early fall. If I can hold onto anything long enough to offer at the gallery. Can't hold onto my wares for selling them casually once they are seen by family and acquaintances, all I can make anyway.

[ July 01, 2015, 06:51 PM: Message edited by: extrinsic ]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain of my Sheep
Member # 10362

- posted      Profile for Captain of my Sheep   Email Captain of my Sheep         Edit/Delete Post 
(Wrote the following before noticing the original date of the post. He.)

Past month is a lot more flattering to me than the past week, so I'm going to go with that if that's okay with everybody.

* Edited part of the 4th draft of my first short story in ten years.

* Brainstormed the story elements for a second story.

* Wrote a blog post.

Wish you all good luck with your stories and plans. [Smile]

Posts: 93 | Registered: Dec 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Almost started to post again, too. Actually I took a break and just picked up revising again---celebrating June 30th, which is the fortieth anniversary of the beginning of my career as a writer.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I've spent the last week doing the opposite of writing; unraveling a nom de plume by beginning to delete all of it's on-line persona.

Liberating! Particularly killing off the Facebook and twitter accounts; next stop--Google.

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain of my Sheep
Member # 10362

- posted      Profile for Captain of my Sheep   Email Captain of my Sheep         Edit/Delete Post 
Killing off accounts is a surprisingly hard job to do. Getting off Facebook particularly. It taunts you with "But So and So will miss your updates. Don't leave!"

Reminds me of HAL 9000, "Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?"

Posts: 93 | Registered: Dec 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.