Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Beware of

Author Topic: Beware of
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
Beware of a tall dark man with a spoon up his nose.

Write something that makes this perfectly logical and consistent with everything you know.

When I was doing my story ides, I would take a "stupid" concept like this and make it logical, cause it to make perfect sense, once I spun the background around it. I saw this in the middle of some half funny half logical sayings on a joke subject and knew it had to be told about here.

Some ideas for this:

+ It is a special defense against a weird kind of magic.
+ It is a punishment in a legal system. A combination of humiliation, degradation, and discomfort. It requires a doctor to remove it without real physical damage.
+ It is a sign of status or a sign that one is a member of an organization. Possibly an elite organization where you know they have achieved a really high status. It could be a criminal organization where he is so good a fighter that he can wear a spoon up his nose and never get hit there.
+ A mad killer who's last victim used the spoon as a weapon and he cannot get it out without going to a doctor, and the doctor would turn him in.
+ It is the antenna for a computer chip connected to his brain. Tests showed that was the best place and shape, in the long run to place it for accurate communications with the whole system.

As you can see, there is a whole lot one can do with such a strange concept, and I have not touched the surface of what is possible.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ForlornShadow
Member # 9758

- posted      Profile for ForlornShadow   Email ForlornShadow         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the third one and the last one. Neat, interesting ideas for something that seems so hilariously bizarre.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.