Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » New 13 line challenge posted: Dreams

Author Topic: New 13 line challenge posted: Dreams
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Ever had a bizarre dream and wished you could turn it into a story? Or a normal dream that seemed perfect for your next sale?

I've got a few of those circulating the markets as I type.

But most dreams are oddball fragments, or have me flying and I wake up thinking of course! This will be the best story ever. But then the haze clears and I realize how silly that idea truly was.

Not anymore!

http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/writers/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000241

This challenge is to turn one of your subconscious ideas into a coherent story opening. Then hope for the best in the voting.

Get dreaming, folks!

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tesknota
Member # 10041

- posted      Profile for tesknota   Email tesknota         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome! I haven't done a challenge in forever... is there a discussion thread for this, Axe?
Posts: 252 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Tes,

This can serve as that thread. Things aren't as bustling as they used to be, so it's casual.

Axe

p.s. I dreamed that I had befriended an alien named Bob in the Nevada desert. Seriously.

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for Disgruntled Peony   Email Disgruntled Peony         Edit/Delete Post 
I want very badly to enter this challenge, but I have a wonderful tendency not to remember what I dreamed about come morning. XP As soon as something hits me, I'm in.
Posts: 745 | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Poe said write about nightmares, not dreams, and especially not daydreams. "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty," the 1939 Walter Thurber original, is about daydreams. Later reimaginations miss what the short story is really about; that is, an ineffectual and meaningless life (sloth) and self-misrepresentation as a heroically noble everyman (vanity-pride).

For me, nightmares are the order of dreams. Mine are always nightmares, impossible struggles against impossible odds and obstinate individuals who are always me. In a restaurant, checkerboard floor tiles, rough-hewn wood furniture and wall panels, ambient lights, I'm the difficult customers, the servers, the cooks, the bartenders, the managers, and we all cannot get anything done.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tesknota
Member # 10041

Axe, did Bob claim to be a little prince who was trying to get back to his planet? =P

I'm trying my best to have an interesting dream! So far, not great...

Extrinsic, there was a while when I had to work six days a week instead of five, and I had a dream about someone from work EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. It came to the point that I started writing them down in a dream journal and just kept the journal at work for everyone's amusement. Thankfully, that ended.

But one of my favorite teachers of all time told me that he used to have nightmares every night. He never had happy dreams. Eventually, he trained himself to NOT have dreams, or to forget them when he woke up. Now, he never recalls what he dreams.

I don't know what's sadder... having only nightmares, or having no dreams at all?

[ September 24, 2015, 01:18 AM: Message edited by: tesknota ]

Posts: 252 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in, for this contest but it is a struggle. I ONLY have nightmares, but that's okay--I love 'em, I also only remember those fragments I dream at the near waking dream-state: which means there's usually no context and no end in sight. Case in point, the dream I'm basing my submission on: I'm walking past 6 guillotines and as I pass each one the blade falls and a head slowly topples into the dust--until the final one. In this case, the head lying in the dust speaks, but I'm not certain if it actually speaks or the voice is in my head.

How do I turn that into a 13 line start to a story?

A TUFF nut to crack.

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to try to get something together. I've got some real doozies of crazy dreams to pick from.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for Disgruntled Peony   Email Disgruntled Peony         Edit/Delete Post 
There is one nightmare I had a few weeks back that really stuck with me... Maybe I'll try for that. I've been putting the idea off because it really freaked me out, but on the other hand that means there should be a lot of dramatic tension, right? [Razz]
Posts: 745 | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I posted my effort, an alternate opening for Hel Rising. I couldn't actually get to my remembered dream fragment, just introduce the setting and character, plus a want to be fulfilled.

To find out what happens you'd have to turn the page. [Smile]

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tesknota
Member # 10041

I'll try to have something by tonight! I'm combining two dreams into this story...
Haunting dreams (not quite nightmares), which are rare for me. =)

axeminister
Member # 8991

CONTEST CLOSED!

Bad Axe forgot to enter...

But I'm glad to see some did!
Voting is for one week.

I was thinking, this was probably a challenging challenge. I'll run another one closer to Halloween, but just a straight, open, 13 lines.

Axe

Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

Sounds like fun! I look forward to it. [Smile]
tesknota
Member # 10041

Oh nooooooo, I missed the deadline. I slept the night away! Irony? =(

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.