Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Submissions

Author Topic: Submissions
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
I've just submitted a piece of flash fiction, It's the first thing I've submitted in over a year.

I think I'm finally back in the saddle too. In the past week weeks I've finished a 30k+ novella and a 13k (ish) short story. I'm currently working on a new novel and hitting my writing target almost every day.

What's the longest you've been between submissions?

Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I've started submitting seriously and systematically (I don't know, 2 or 3 years ago), I have never had a time in which I didn't have a story out on submission. Before that...oh somewhere in the neighborhood of ten years.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for Disgruntled Peony   Email Disgruntled Peony         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm only just getting into the submissions game, so I don't really have a solid answer yet. I'm just trying to keep my story out there at the moment.
Posts: 745 | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
that's a complicated question.

I am currently in that very difficult phase of world building a new series. Brain storming ideas and trying to answer the million questions that need to be answered before jumping the gun into page one. There are a lot of hard choices including whether to make it a spin off of my current series for which I am currently on Hiatus pending book 2 which is already in rough draft.

Branching the new series from the other would save me a lot of time. The time it took to flesh out the magical language alone on series one was a feat all to itself. Their are just so many things that have to be answered to give a new world life. It can be quite overwhelming at times.

Take for example the description of new beasts or weapons. You can't just say it's horse like or sword like unless your pov is someone from earth. Or unless there are actually swords and horses on that world to. Then you can reference them.

But for me the submission process has become an ebb and flow with no set time table. Unfortunately things get done when their done and by the priorities I give them day by day, week by week, etc.

Sometimes the creativity flows like water, other days are a complete blank and need a little time to get rekindled.

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't use submission or word counts as metrics of performance or success.

I could submit none, one, half a dozen, or dozens per year, dependent upon my satisfaction a project is ready and suited to a house. Because I learn from every composition part, parcel, and whole, and constant consumer and marketplace investigation, plus new-to-me composition concepts, and every declined acceptance, I hold onto a project for a while. Not to mention, a project could be weeks, months, even years, before I fully realize what any given work is really about human condition-wise.

A project, for example, that's been on my radar for years is an update to Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, akin to, though present-day contemporary, dated Arthur Laurents' West Side Story. Finally worked out one stuck-point feature this week: the overcame stuck-point inspiration dissolved many stucks and sticks and speed bumps for the project.

When I do reach my personal composition satori moment, and I'm all but there, despite countless declines and stucks, submissions will flurry fast and frequent from the stockpile backlog.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stanley Igboanugo
Member # 10466

- posted      Profile for Stanley Igboanugo   Email Stanley Igboanugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, its always been a pretty difficult task for me. But things have changed over the last few months, I am currently working on 2 new stories now since submitting a story just recently.
Posts: 15 | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
There used to be a time when I would have one story being written, another editing, another being given that final polish and another either out doing the submission rounds or being self published.

I'm starting to get that way again. I've got a bit of flash fiction submitted, a novella self published just yesterday and a first draft being written while I have a potential WOTF entry being edited. A lot of juggling I know, but it keeps me busy [Smile]

Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
PDBlake, I'm so happy to see you back to writing. Welcome back and good luck!
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.