Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Did you write? December 12, 2015

Author Topic: Did you write? December 12, 2015
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
It has been a while, to say the least.

this is a place to brag about your accomplishments, cry about your failures, and otherwise tell about what is going on in your life.

As to what is writing, you decide that. New writing, of course, Editing, blogging, BB posts, Articles, Even E-mails can be writing if they pertain to writing and are wordy. If you decide it is writing, it is.

In the past month, I have written. Very sporadically, though. In about four sessions, I have five pages of work, near 3000 words. It is a combination of an old idea, and three other separate "notes" combined together into something that could have possibilities. They have to be stitched together and then expanded, but it is something. I still have no idea where it is going. by combining them, it gives the original idea, which is in the middle, a beginning and something to happen after.

I still do my weekly wood working diary that I post on a blog and a BB. I usually don't count them as writing, but since I am not writing anything else, it counts now. I used to write them "live" and post them. I cannot seem to do that any more. I find myself editing the heck out of them, remembering what I left out and finding better ways of saying it. It might be old age......<g>

My nephew just got married and we had sort of a family reunion. My sister said she read my FINDING WAXY book and loved it, then passed it on to her friend's son and he loved it too. there are times when a compliment helps.

As to the question of the day,
Yes, I did write.

did you write?

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain of my Sheep
Member # 10362

- posted      Profile for Captain of my Sheep   Email Captain of my Sheep         Edit/Delete Post 
I posted my first "first 13" on F&F. (Makes me really happy.)

I edited the third draft of a story into a fourth draft that I like better.

I rewrote an ugly first draft and turned it into a less ugly second draft.

quote:
I have five pages of work, near 3000 words. It is a combination of an old idea, and three other separate "notes" combined together into something that could have possibilities.
My curiosity, it burns. What is it about? (Donīt tell me anything if you're one of the ones that can't say what a story is about until they finish otherwise it loses its magic.)

I hope to declare one of my stories as "finished" by December 30th, too. And have a new story to work on. But we'll see. December is kind of tricky, what with all the eating and people going insane over presents.

Posts: 93 | Registered: Dec 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said, elsewhere, I've been dead in the water for two months. Last work I did was October and that was just revision.

I've been writing and posting song parodies on a couple of websites, but that's not the same.

Time to start busting out my bag of writer's-block-breaking tricks again---I've got a new one I want to try---but, probably, Christmas will consume more of my free time (and possibly work time with overtime) and I'll have to do it after.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, still working on the first draft of WAR OF MAGIC.

And a couple of blog posts.

Good to see this post come back again. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
I've written around 6-7k on a novel and plotted out a possible entry for WOTF.

Just waiting for this horrible cold and cough to go so I can get back to full speed.

Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for Disgruntled Peony   Email Disgruntled Peony         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Nowall:
Like I said, elsewhere, I've been dead in the water for two months. Last work I did was October and that was just revision.

I've been writing and posting song parodies on a couple of websites, but that's not the same.

Time to start busting out my bag of writer's-block-breaking tricks again---I've got a new one I want to try---but, probably, Christmas will consume more of my free time (and possibly work time with overtime) and I'll have to do it after.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-tips-punching-writers-block-in-face/ I don't know if reading this will help you, but it tends to help me.

I have written, although it's mostly editing. I've got one short story about halfway where I want it to be, another waiting in the wings for when I finish that one, and a novel that's temporarily languishing in the corner because it pissed me off.

Posts: 745 | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
As I have written in other areas, I have mostly been world building. Cultures and societies: Cities, races, languages, beasts, good guys, bad guys, weapons, magics, weather patterns, technologies, transportation, music and fashions.

That combined with banging my head against my desk, wall and/or computer along with long durations of blank stares out into the Nebulous. Or as I put it: Going Zombie--must eat brains!!

Between all that is research: How does this work, how does that work. What! That's how you say that word in Gaelic? That sounds nothing like the consonants I see. Why is Japanese spoken backwards? To the store I shall go. You sure Yoda wasn't Japanese? SO that's how fusion reaction works...What? With an observer the electron goes through the slit as a particle, not a wave. What the.. Yes! This is the hundredth time I've read this stuff, but I still don't get the dimensional spaces above four. Etc etc

Then combing through the scrap pile to see if I can use anything.

Then work. Maybe play. Sleep's overrated, and if I have any time left,

Start writing.

That's what I have been up to. Pretty much a normal week for a SF/F writer, nothing unusual.

W.

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Sketches, anecdotes, vignettes, drafts, practice, practice, practice of newly learned composition aspects. A step or two or leg forward on the Poet's Journey.
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a whiteboard that does sterling work in helping me gather my thoughts and ideas for story construction. I then photograph it and place that jpeg in the appropriate story file for later tinkering.

In recent weeks I have fleshed out some more of the premise and dramatic conflict for my short story The Gardner. In fact, truth be told, it is reductionism that I practiced with that story--reducing philosophical ideas to their simplest elements.

I have also started trying to write an opening dream sequence for Daisyworld. I am trying to come up with a symbolic, allegoric, metaphoric piece of prose that resembles, I guess, haiku. Just how do you reduce 3-4 billion years of planetary evolution and history to a couple of sentences of dream imagery that fundamentally is the inciting incident for the central character? Good luck with that I say! [Smile]

Last, I actually started another short story in response to a writing challenge about Trolls. I took this as an opportunity to validate a method of story writing I am tinkering with. It worked. But I spent most of a week and a bit just trying to get the opening to do what I wanted. I learned a lot about how to open a story from that exercise. [Big Grin]

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

quote:
Originally posted by Captain of my Sheep:

quote:
I have five pages of work, near 3000 words. It is a combination of an old idea, and three other separate "notes" combined together into something that could have possibilities.
My curiosity, it burns. What is it about? (Donīt tell me anything if you're one of the ones that can't say what a story is about until they finish otherwise it loses its magic.)

It is a distant future episode of my Waxy Dragon series of stories. I have several already in the que to be published and my writing partner has several stories in the series world that will have to come out before my next one. Waxy is chased by an old nemesis into the arms of a new one which will eventually become an friend. Strange worlds will be involved.
Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for Disgruntled Peony   Email Disgruntled Peony         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Grumpy old guy:
I have a whiteboard that does sterling work in helping me gather my thoughts and ideas for story construction. I then photograph it and place that jpeg in the appropriate story file for later tinkering.

That is a very clever idea. I have one in my house, as well, but I'd mostly been using it for gaming purposes (it makes a great initiative tracker, for one thing). I shall have to give this a try, I think, and see what happens. You just opened up whole new worlds of thought processes for me.

quote:
Last, I actually started another short story in response to a writing challenge about Trolls. I took this as an opportunity to validate a method of story writing I am tinkering with. It worked. But I spent most of a week and a bit just trying to get the opening to do what I wanted. I learned a lot about how to open a story from that exercise. [Big Grin]
I was hoping you'd follow through on this! I really liked that story opening. [Smile]
Posts: 745 | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey GOG,

You had me chuckling a little with the title Daisyworld. Immediately it brought to mind crichton's westworld and futureworld. When you said dream about evolution I immediately thought of a new sequel to Crichton's films called Daisyworld in which vacationer's get to go back to the sixties and experience flower power, Woodstock, and the bad guy is the draft.

I doubt that's where you are going, but it gave me a chuckle or two.

The irony is that when I did a search to remind myself who wrote westworld I found out HBO is doing a new series on Westworld. There is a teaser and everything. Found here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM8HNuRLIBI

W.

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry DP, I will be seeing where I can take this.

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain of my Sheep
Member # 10362

- posted      Profile for Captain of my Sheep   Email Captain of my Sheep         Edit/Delete Post 
Originally posted by rstegman:
quote:
It is a distant future episode of my Waxy Dragon series of stories. I have several already in the que to be published and my writing partner has several stories in the series world that will have to come out before my next one. Waxy is chased by an old nemesis into the arms of a new one which will eventually become an friend. Strange worlds will be involved.
Nice! I've always wanted to write a series of shorts set in the same world. Do you have a place where I could sample a few Waxy Dragon stories? [Smile]
Posts: 93 | Registered: Dec 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

Added from Cannons Creek.

I now have an ending for Pebble's story and an idea for the middle. [Wink]

Phil.

rstegman
Member # 3233

quote:
Originally posted by Captain of my Sheep:
Originally posted by rstegman:
quote:
Nice! I've always wanted to write a series of shorts set in the same world. Do you have a place where I could sample a few Waxy Dragon stories? [Smile]
Amazon.com,

look for Roger Stegman
or Finding Waxy.
Also, Nancy Hanson has a story in the same universe , A FAMILIAR NAME. She just finished the galley edit for Copper's Choice, which is by her and in the same universe. I am not sure which story will come next. her The publisher had Copper's choice for a year now. It might be a very long time before another Waxy story comes out.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if this is for the last week or last month but yes indeed I wrote.

Took part in Nano and did a novel last month. Also worked on another novel I am writing at work.

This past week, I worked and am working on revising a story for Writers of the Future due the end of this month.
I am very very close to finishing that novel I am working on at work. I mean a couple of more paragraphs. Thought I might finish it today but I decided on one more detail. It's a pre-indrustral steampunk fantasy fusion. My hero goes on a quest in an airship.

Worked on revising an earlier section of that novel.

And worked on a new chapter for the number two book to my Indie published "Above My Pay GradeX2" That book is actually finished but I need to lengthen it from around 62,000 words to closer to 80,000 if I can get that much.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.