Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Finding a publisher for a friend

Author Topic: Finding a publisher for a friend
mithridates
Member # 10347

- posted      Profile for mithridates           Edit/Delete Post 
I want my friend to make money writing nonfiction or fiction books because she's a gifted writer. Maybe that's not a good enough reason?

Suppose I get a good sample of writing from her somehow--maybe I'll have to buy it--how do I use it to find her a decent contract from a decent publisher?

Unlike me, she's not the type that would post 13 lines unless she felt sure it would lead to money somehow.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Nov 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on the subject matter. Four fantastic fiction novel publishers don't require an agented submission, accept unsolicited submissions. Most other houses do require agent representation. Therefore, an agent pathway is worth consideration.

Short fiction publishers are hit and miss about being open for unsolicited submissions, hence, again, depends on the subject matter and the house.

Nonfiction usually follows a slight pathway difference from fiction. Nonfiction's pathway is oftentimes first a book proposal or essay proposal instead of a publication-ready manuscript's query, synopsis, and sample content. Once tentatively accepted for publication, a nonfiction writer then completes or adjusts a manuscript, tailored to the house's interest area, subject to a house's final acceptance. Nonfiction's pathway, though, is trending toward agent representation and completed manuscript sample content submission, same as fiction.

The pathway a thirteen-line post leads to money is rather indirect, an early or intermediate dress rehearsal process, sort of, before debut in the submission pipeline that tests through an audience focus group a work's what works and doesn't work strengths and shortfalls of and by an informed group of writers of similar composition types.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you are officially her agent or something you probably shouldn't be doing business for her. I would be quite angry if someone submitted something I wrote without my authorization.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mithridates
Member # 10347

- posted      Profile for mithridates           Edit/Delete Post 
Good point Pyre. I guess I am not in a position to help.
Posts: 27 | Registered: Nov 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
A writer's acquaintance is in a position to share pathway recommendations of which an acquaintance is aware. Investigations of them are likewise productive for the reciprocal benefits of each. That's nurturing help.

Worth noting that S.E. Hinton's sixth grade English teacher shopped around an early draft of The Drifters, at first, unbeknown to twelve-year-old Hinton or her parents. The teacher shared the early draft with colleagues for the purpose of gathering responses and assessments in order to validate the teacher's belief that the story had legs on it and to survey among widely read colleagues that the story was, indeed, a fresh take on Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet and Arthur Laurent's West Side Story stratified elitism social commentary; in other words, stood up on its merits and wasn't too duplicative and derivative of extant works.

The teacher's nurturing efforts from start to outcome led to The Drifters acceptance for publication within two years of the first draft, which was composed for an English class writing assignment.

[ April 20, 2016, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: extrinsic ]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
Lead by example. explain the stepping stones as you traverse them. Be honest about the obstacles and the realities of what you faced as you move forward. Your friend will either follow, choose a different path, or quit, but none of that is your problem. You don't want to trade your dream for someone elses. That leads to resentment. That is, unless your dream is to see your friends dream become real. The dangerous double edge sword of lovers and life partners who later regret trading in their dreams for another's who conventently has replaced love with success and now has forgotten all that was done for them. Cue the murder mystery music soon to follow.

Fight your own way forward. Encourage your friend to follow. If they don't, leave them be, and keep going. You can always come back and offer a helping hand when you have made it. Till then, its a very difficult path ahead, so keep moving.

my 2 cents,

W.

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, this path to publication is rocky enough when you're doing it for yourself. It takes a lot of patience and determination. Trying to do it for yourself and someone else, too? No way. Certainly offer your friend encouragement, but you can't do it for her.

Unless maybe you can. What the hell do I know?

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
exception to what I said above --

Your kids.

For them, dreams are sacrificed, and you must try to encourage even their most outrageous hopes and aspirations. It's just part of being a parent. There is just no way around it. You give up your future in pursuit of their future. A child's love trumps all. Even when we feel the sting of dreams lost.

W.

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.