Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » "Special Topics" forum closed for posts?

Author Topic: "Special Topics" forum closed for posts?
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Attempted to post a new thread to the Special Topics forum and received error message: "FYI: You do not have permission to enter this area." The error message comes up for posts tested in each thread of the forum.

[ December 19, 2016, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: extrinsic ]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry! I created that area for old topics (like the discussion of the Hatrack Utility Belt) that I wanted to be read-only.

It was intended to make particular old stuff easier to find.

What topic would you want to create that wouldn't fit in the areas already provided?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I had hoped to make the "old stuff" aspect clear in the area description. What can I do to make that clearer?
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

The Special Topics forum I'd thought was where the Hatrack Utility Belt new additions were meant to be posted. I see its latest content is under Writing Topics and a legacy version on FAQs and Links to Discussions thread.

Maybe for clarity's sake, the Special Topics forum "Additions and Improvements to the Hatrack Utility Belt" could say it is a direction to the current, active HUB posts in Writing Discussions and that the Special Topics forum and its HUB thread is read-only, not open for member posts.

This is what confused me, the "this topic" and "here," thinking those pronouns referred to posting in Special Topics and not the HUB Writing Discussion thread. Now I see that "this topic here," those pronouns' idiomatic reference uses, they refer to the current HUB thread in Writing Discussions.
quote:
Please read the Hatrack Utility Belt topics before posting in _this topic_, to be sure your suggestion hasn't already been implemented.

If you would like to add something to the Hatrack Utility Belt, feel free to describe it _here_.

Anyway, my confusion has cleared up. I'll post a new HUB device to its Writing Discussion thread -- The Omniburst Sequencer 7.0.

[ December 19, 2016, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: extrinsic ]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

That is confusing. Thanks for pointing it out, extrinsic. Maybe I should get rid of those particular posts in the closed topic.
extrinsic
Member # 8019

If you change those "this" and "here" pronouns to refer to the HUB Writing Discussion topic or maybe add a link to it, the direction to read the extant HUB content before positing a perhaps redundant HUB item becomes useful for its design and the overall intent to emphasize Special Topics' function. An archive of standout Hatrack discussions worth a look-see.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.