Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Did You Write mid 2017

Author Topic: Did You Write mid 2017
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a place to brag about your accomplishments, cry about your failures, and otherwise tell what is going on in your life.

As for me, I can only say "just a little."
My life has for some reason, become busy, even though I don't remember doing anything.

I have part of a rough draft of a story. I worked out the plot and have some of it roughly written. I had sent it to my writing friend and she said it was missing something. that means more plotting. getting the story to a finished level will take even longer.

I have done little about wood working as of late. AS I am writing this, it is 91 degrees out and I have to be outside with my wood working.

I have written my blog posts, but I am a little behind in the actual posts, though the past several weeks have been written. There again, time got in the way.

The main time I get to really do any writing is when I wake in the middle of the night and cannot get back to sleep. Of course, I suffer the next day......

So the question is,
DID YOU WRITE?

I will say, for myself, yes.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I've been writing right along. Published the prequel novella to the epic fantasy series I'm working on right now in May, Become: Brothers. (It doesn't fit in the main story, but I think it's important background into the relationship of two main characters, so I published it.) Am currently about half-way through the first draft of the first full book in that series. I wanted to be farther along by now, but it is what it is. Many other stories on the back burner, ripening.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
I write regardless, more idyllic so in summer when it's too hot outside to be in the wood workshop. Summertime is a time for me to regroup, develop or extend composition, publication, and woodwork techniques, design and plan projects -- and futile wishes for cooler weather. Before air conditioners, August was a time for lazy waterside dog day vacations, court holidays. Now that air conditioners manage inside spaces' climates . . . Extended woodwork techniques to include now new inlay techniques, tagua (vegetable ivory), shopmade composites, relief carving, aniline dye, to the segmented wood turning repertoire and texture and color palette.

Yes, each day, I average some thousand or so words written, mostly trial sketches and sketched summaries thus far, though, anymore, I am at the end of the Internet study- and research-wise. The puzzle pieces and parts are complete now -- the last challenge struggle left to satisfy only the dynamic and robust reality imitation "telling details" of any given narrative's events, milieus and settings, and agonist personas, for most vivid and lively dramatic movement possibles.

Deep study of Clarion workshops David Smith's "Being a Glossary of Terms Useful in Critiquing Science Fiction" extended access to the more nuanced narrative features I've sought. "Edges of Ideas" among the more valued criteria ". . . not the mechanics of a new event, gizmo, or political structure, but rather how people’s lives are affected by their new background." Affected by as well new moral truth crisis, contest, and discovery.

It's not the attached garage of a Tudor revival mansion in a gated community that matters, rather, that the assembled are each boomerang middle adult, punks in the sense of cyberpunk, steampunk, yada, who live again at their parents' after early adulthood independence forays: jobless, idle, twixter freeters who recreate rather than get on with adulthood's seven prime social expectation objectives: courtship, marriage, childbirth, career employment, home ownership, meaningful interpersonal relationships, and -- well, hope, because modernity life's vocational and social displacements due to mechanization, automation, corporate agglomeration, globalization, and laborer displacement and jobs elimination culled them from normative adult lifeway and career expectations.

A natural yet unforeseen consequence of post industrialization and post urbanization -- sloth of a generational segment, of X and Y's displaced by Digital Age business fiscal aggression, social science fiction in the miens of Ray Bradbury.

It's not the sterile garage shrine to off-limits ephemeral cottage craftwork where the crew gather for group roleplay games, it's this post-Postmodernism milieu and its impact on peoples' present-day futuristic lives. It's about traditional adulthood initiation gone awry.

[ August 07, 2017, 12:10 AM: Message edited by: extrinsic ]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
A lot, even though it has slowed recently.

Got a book ready-if I can find a proofreader. Got most of another one revised. Almost finished another.

Got, not sure, ten stories written since mid year. That doesn't count a few mini tales.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for Disgruntled Peony   Email Disgruntled Peony         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't written anything since the start of July, but I did spend April through June on a short story. I'll be getting back to writing after mid-August or so. I've been working on a major drawing project, and only have time to work on one creative endeavor at a time.
Posts: 745 | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
After a pretty long gap, and retirement a month ago, I got something going these last couple of weeks. First another one of those endless lurid things that keep bubbling up out of my mind...then several drafts of a short novelization of an online lurid graphic novel, something I do to keep going (and when something interests me).

But then out of that last there evolved another idea, which I've written notes for, and may shortly write some scenes for---but which needs some research.

Felt good to be writing something again, though.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
Wrote a big chunk of Book 7.

FINALLY found the right series title!

Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilentOne
Member # 4814

- posted      Profile for SilentOne   Email SilentOne         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I wrote 3, maybe 4, short stories all the way through and started 2 or 3 more.

I also recently started a new job which has really thrown me off my game. Hopefully I'll get my writing back on track by the time Nano rolls around.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been on the forum for quite awhile, but I thought I'd pop in. I've been writing...about six books a year for the past while. I've published about 30 books, most of which after I became inactive here. My latest was released the last week in October. I'm writing as Guy Antibes and most of my stuff is on Amazon...all self-published e-books and paperbacks. One of my series is even on audiobooks through a publisher.

I've been reasonably successful and that is owed, in part, to what I learned here at Hatrack River.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Owasm. Sounds like you've been busy.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
My basic worldbuilding technique boils down to "but that happened because" working backward from the present into the ever-deepening past.

Lately I found myself writing a series of flash stories that were built the same way -- the point of each spawned the next story, which lies in the previous story's past -- so they need to be read in order, backwards up the timeline, to understand what's going on.

Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hey Owasm boy is that a lot. Are you on GoodReads?

I will check them out

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Okay, I am not really sure all of this list is after mid 17 but most will be. Not in any order BTW, just as I recall them.

One 54,000 book in November 4,000+ on the same book since.

Maybe as many as 20 short stories-most really short.

Finished up The Courier and revised it.

revised Journey of Mystery

The last two might have been at least partially before mid point of the year.

Seems like there was something else but can't recall it. So I might be back to add to this.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.