Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Ways to Critique » Critique Guide

Author Topic: Critique Guide
brookemcintyre
Member # 10322

- posted      Profile for brookemcintyre   Email brookemcintyre         Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to share here the short version of the critique guide I made for Inked Voices, a site for online critique groups. You can get it here -- no sign up or registration needed, just yours to have. You can use it with your group or for self-editing.

If you have feedback on it, or if you write in a particular genre that typically has additional things to look for, I'd love to hear from you. I'm considering whether to create genre-specific guides in the future.

https://www.inkedvoices.com/quick-guide-to-critique/

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I do not see a useful critique guide here, merely an ad for some kind of critique-in-the-cloud tool that might be used by groups of people prepared to pay a monthly subscription and something purporting to be a guide but I didn't make time to read it thoroughly because I think that what we have, with Kathleen's guidance, is fine. I thought that this forum was for guidance on critiquing here at Hatrack, not for ads for forum software. Things could get a mite confusing, not to mention annoying if it gets filled up with crit guidance from people trying to sell stuff. and the crit guidance offered says something like "no egregious self-promotion!"

Besides,Hatrack is free and well moderated: what's the point?

Pat

Besides,Hatrack is free and well moderated: what's the point?

Pat

[ December 08, 2014: Message edited by: TaleSpinner ]

[ December 08, 2014, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: TaleSpinner ]

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
There is, indeed, a guide there, Talespinner, with some potentially useful tips for critics. Looks like a good tool, to me.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we need the guide we have, which I assume Kathleen uses for moderation.

Provoking a debate about it for commercial puposes is unhelpful I think. the "guide" at a quick glance is little more than motherhood and apple pie. I thought we signed up to observing the Hatrack guide when we joined Hatrack. The only reason I joined Hatrack and stayed is trust in Kathleen's moderation of crits. and I'm disappointed with what I see as disingenuous commercial intent of the OP. in my experience new software tools often look good and disappoint in the execution. There are no references to happy customers, numbers of users. these things often fall over under heavy load like all those crashed websites on Black Friday. And I doubt OSC feels like investing in new software, never has before, when the subject has been mooted - and why should he? I for one am grateful for a free-of-charge forum with fine moderation from which I have learned much and continue to. why should we waste our time discussing something that ain't broke because there's a new snake-oil vendor in town? Having contributed previously to badly moderated forums like zoos with guides that were ignored I am in no mood to let what works here go.
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

it is perhaps too late to remind brookemcintyre that he or she signed up to this:

"Please note that advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are inappropriate in this BB." and that his or her own code of practice discourages egregious self promotion.

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

brookemcintyre our own critique guide is here:

http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/writers/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000005

You might save us a good deal of time and unnecessary debate(Which given we would all have to agree to something different than we signed up for risks ill temper and flame wars and at least for this poster forming a profound mistrust of Inked Voices) by specifically identifying the precise parts of your guide that you think would benefit Hatrack and the experience you have that validates the guide on offer. Or do you want us to get on your cloud, pay you money and abandon Hatrack and OSC and Kathleen?
thanking you in advance
Pat

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
This was offered as information. Sorry. I didn't consider it advertising per se.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smiley
Member # 9379

- posted      Profile for Smiley   Email Smiley         Edit/Delete Post 
Pat, I did find the guide useful for my own writing. It's short and sweet and to the point. I didn't have to pay a thing for it, either. Just clicked on it.

[ February 10, 2015, 01:35 AM: Message edited by: Smiley ]

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brookemcintyre
Member # 10322

- posted      Profile for brookemcintyre   Email brookemcintyre         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pat,

Just to clarify, I did reach out and get permission from Kathleen before posting Inked Voices' critique guide.

I reached out to Kathleen after hearing her wonderful interview on Writing Excuses. I had developed this guide for our members and have shared it before and thought folks here would enjoy it too.

Thanks for sharing Hatrack's critique guide with me. I always enjoy reading these.

Best,
Brooke

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.