Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » first 13 of my prolog

Author Topic: first 13 of my prolog
bro-k
Member # 4947

- posted      Profile for bro-k   Email bro-k         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the prolog for a book tenatively titled "Elan". I know we have a member by that name, I created it before coming here, it's the fifth name I've assigned my lead character, and I've grown rather attached. Anyway it is a fantasy novel, I have the outline for about 40 chapters, plus the prolog and epilog. I am almost done with chapter 8 and am at 19,000 words. This prolog basically sets up the world and the backgroud of my key race of people. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I can’t say where it is or where it was. Whether it was occurring as I saw it or whether this all happened a thousand years ago. Is it in another galaxy, another dimension? Anyone can speculate but regardless this story had to be told.
Wherever it was two moons rose over a strange landscape, the white moon moving ahead of the blue. The moons would switch places as spring came closer, although the weather never really changed that much.
To the West, dark and ominous stood the black volcanic mountain range of

Posts: 11 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ColinCohen
Member # 4945

- posted      Profile for ColinCohen   Email ColinCohen         Edit/Delete Post 
The end of this seems to be cutoff.

I'd probably remove the sentence "Anyone can speculate but regardless this story had to be told." And the "Whereever it was." I'd start a new paragraph with "Two moons rose . . ."

Is there a reason why you capitalized "West"?

[This message has been edited by ColinCohen (edited February 09, 2007).]

Posts: 10 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
>I can’t say where it is or where it was.

What is the narrator talking about? Since we don't know *what*, the question of *where* doesn't even arise.

See FAQs, Helpful discussions, Just tell me and Why the problem with the first 13 isn't that it's too short.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
From what you describe, this might be exactly the kind of wacking dull history lesson that turns readers off. From what is posted, it also looks like this might be a foreword rather than a prologue. Not that there's some kind of definite difference.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystic
Member # 2673

- posted      Profile for Mystic   Email Mystic         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't bring to mind the word to describe your opening, so I'll dance around it. The first three lines did nothing for me, except make me feel like I am reading the beginning of many other prologues told from the POV of an omnipotent and ancient individual. I almost stopped reading, but then you started talking about these two moons, and things did not seem so trite. I have read a fair number of opening that begin with a description of the sky and the landscape (usually the sky is dark and stormy while the landscape is barren, rocky, or in some way easy to describe with one or two words). I don't know why, but the setting you established hooked me enough to read a little longer about this world. Seeing as how your goal in this prologue is to establish your world and its people, I would cut any extra sentences that do not accomplish this goal. You will be lucky in the first place to have all your readers read the prologue and even luckier to have them finish it if you do not get straight to the point.
Posts: 162 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
I had to stop and parse the sentence more than once because the text is missing commas. You might consider rearranging to give the description before the 'I don't remember' stuff.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.