Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » first 13 of opening chapter

Author Topic: first 13 of opening chapter
bro-k
Member # 4947

- posted      Profile for bro-k   Email bro-k         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the first intro to the main character for my novel Elan.
I already posted a prolog that sets up the world.

The desert wind howled across the flat lands of the Jobez desert. Eyes peeking out above his syfu Élan squinted trying to keep out the sand as he looked ahead. He could see nothing beyond the few people in front of him, driving their kíza through the storm; the giant lizards carried all the supplies of the nomads except their water. Élan knew that up ahead his father led the cantí forward towards the next oasis. He was aware that it would still be many days before they reached their destination, but Élan was becoming more excited as each day passed.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
This doesn't seem like a bad opening, but when you say that you've already posted the prologue it indicates that this is not the actual opening text that will be seen by a market.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystic
Member # 2673

- posted      Profile for Mystic   Email Mystic         Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy! I feel that what you have here is solid as far as the style and exposition goes. However, I need to see some conflict because I was not very interested in the nomad boy crossing a harsh desert with his group. To me, that is just what nomads do: they travel from place to place and are always eager to get to that new place. So whatever is going to happen to the nomads, that is not a part of their normal routine, needs to be introduced.
Posts: 162 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hunter
Member # 4991

- posted      Profile for Hunter   Email Hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi bro-k,

I'd read your prolog and like this better.

I don't know if you need to introduce conflict so quickly into your story as Mystic recommends, but more action would help.

--Hunter

Posts: 83 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, everything is flows well, but:

I would say get rid of "Eyes peaking out above his syfu". Just start with "Elan squinted...". It makes it much simpler.

I don't see a hook in this. You might look under the topic here at hatrack "Discussing published hooks and books". You might find a way to hook the reader that works for you.

You mention syfu, kiza, and canti. I don't know what any of those thing are. You tell me that a kiza is a giant lizard. That's fine, but you're putting these strange words in that don't mean anything to me. I assume you'll explain later, but it seems to be a lot to remember up front. Be careful that you're not calling a rabbit a smeerp (http://www.sfwa.org/writing/turkeycity.html).
That means, if something looks like a rabbit, acts like a rabbit, tastes like a rabbit, then it's a rabbit. If you need to invent new animals, great, but tell me what they are.

Matt

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bro-k
Member # 4947

- posted      Profile for bro-k   Email bro-k         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been avoiding the whole smeerp thing. Kiza are deeply covered in the prolog/foreward, but are pretty clear just in reading. The canti I'll work on, its the name of Elan's people again covered in the prolog, but also made clear early on. I'll probably take care of the whole syfu thing, my wife didn't like that either.
Hopefully I'll post a new revision soon.

Thanks everyone
Please look at my question in the open discussion area.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.