Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Hollow Man

Author Topic: Hollow Man
thecox
Member # 4713

- posted      Profile for thecox   Email thecox         Edit/Delete Post 
I need all the crits I can, I'd like to develop this into a novel. Is the voice too casual?

I remember her smell; a faint trace of lemon juice and talcum residing in my nostrils. I see her climbing from my memory but without a face. I feel a tingling in my palms as if I were an amputee. It’s from the absence of her tiny hands pressed against mine. Here I am. I’m staring at a canary-yellow ceiling in an uptown apartment building calculating my losses, counting the time between each breath.

Maybe I am an amputee. Oh yes, I’m sure of it now. That slowly fading afternoon in the park, I thought they took her; but really, they took a part of me instead. They took the part that leaves you hollow without it.

Posts: 22 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to read it a few times before I could figure out what happened. I wouldn't do that if I were reading for fun.

The voice does seem to be detached from the situation.

I think you'd do better with a sentence plainly stating what happened.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slartibartfast
Member # 4673

- posted      Profile for Slartibartfast   Email Slartibartfast         Edit/Delete Post 
Subtlety is fine, as long as the facts are really there for a discerning reader to find. It's probably best to err on the side of caution, but I wouldn't go so far to the blunt end as wbriggs suggests. (I think, no offense intended, he is coming from the viewpoint of a more casual reader.)
Posts: 36 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't quite seem like the narrator cares enough to actually narrate this.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.