Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » The Beast (first 13 lines)

Author Topic: The Beast (first 13 lines)
ColinCohen
Member # 4945

- posted      Profile for ColinCohen   Email ColinCohen         Edit/Delete Post 
The following is the first thirteen lines of my most-recently completed novel, The Beast. If anyone is interested in reading the entire first chapter (roughly ten manuscript pages), please let me know.

Thank you in advance.

I should’ve jumped.

But someone could’ve warned me. Someone surely knew about it. Someone. Something so monstrous couldn’t go unnoticed. Why didn’t they tell me? If I only knew, I could’ve prepared myself -- I could’ve changed everything.

Yes, I know it sounds bitter to complain now, but I am bitter. And mad. My whole life was wasted -- a life that had such great promise.

I didn’t have a choice. I swear I didn’t! It drove me against my will; I was a puppet -- a toy.

So naïve, I was. I had just graduated college and looked onto the future with eyes aglow. Four years of drunken bliss had cured me of my intellectual curiosity, . . .

[This message has been edited by ColinCohen (edited February 11, 2007).]

Posts: 10 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
What is the narrator talking about?
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the first sentence when I read it, but I was under the impression that his situation would be described immediately, and in a few words (described enough, that is, for us to make sense of the immediate situation; more details could be filled in later). That didn't happen, and if it's not possible--if you MUST have the flashback you're promising us by the end of the passage--then you're starting too late.

[This message has been edited by rickfisher (edited February 12, 2007).]

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
The first line got my attention because I expected to be thrown into action. The next paragraph lost me because I was in vague exposition rather than action or anything concrete.

This is too much of a tease to keep my interest. You introduce about a half dozen or more points and don't explain them. Take me to the moment in time that matters and keep me there. Please just tell me what's happening.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It is a tease, but it's pretty good for that.

Still, not good enough to overcome being a tease. I think that if you tell us just a tad more about the circumstances in which the narrator should have jumped and the circumstances in which he has found himself as a result of not doing so, this opening could work.

"I should've jumped" from/off/at [noun]. Then I wouldn't be [place/condition/noun?].

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ColinCohen
Member # 4945

- posted      Profile for ColinCohen   Email ColinCohen         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the feedback.
Posts: 10 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.