Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Plan B - serialized sci-fi

Author Topic: Plan B - serialized sci-fi
Jericson
Member # 2369

- posted      Profile for Jericson   Email Jericson         Edit/Delete Post 
The first 13 lines of Plan B, a serialized story around novel length:

---------

With a loud crack, Caden Ellis flew across the hall and broke his right arm.

He had broken many limbs in the mere 18 years of his life, but he still wasn't ready for that most horrible kind of pain - the kind that doesn't seem to have a focal point, it just swims up and down your arm in pulsating waves, each heartbeat causing you to wince. He gasped for breath as if someone had punched him in the gut and tried to push himself up with his left arm. Cold beads of sweat clung to his forehead. He looked around to try and get his bearings, but no good - he saw nothing but green, formless shapes, dashing back and forth across his vision, as the blood in his head drained away to his broken bones.

-----------

I, um, don't really expect you to pick up on the story's overall premise from that, so a (very) brief summary: The Humans, a small and weak nomadic race spread out all over the Formia galaxy, have inexplicably become the targets of an unknown but powerful race called the Cro, throwing the entire galaxy into disarray. Caden and his family are just one family of many looking for solutions and trying desperately to survive.

So that be it. Feel free to micro-analyze it as much as you please, I'll decide whether to pay attention or not. :P Seriously though, criticize it like crazy, I look forward to it.

EDIT - By the way, I have very limited access to the internet, so replies will be slow. Feel free to ask questions anyway, though.

[This message has been edited by Jericson (edited April 15, 2007).]

Posts: 17 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunshine
Member # 3701

- posted      Profile for Sunshine   Email Sunshine         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, this is my first response to a critique request to let me know if I missed something. Overall I liked your lines (very descriptive) and I liked the brief summary of your novel. The following were some questions or points that arose; you may consider them or dispose of them at your convenience : )
1. Although this didn't really slow me down, I wonder if altering the following quote "it just swims up and down your arm in pulsating waves, each heartbeat causing you to wince" from the "you" to the "he" perspective would be more consistent and effective.
2. I had a clarity question about your summary. I assume when you say "[t]he Humans, a small and weak nomadic race", that you mean they are small in stature and physically weak or perhaps easy to break (such as Caden Ellis' bones)? However, it immediately occurred to me that you might mean they are small in population and weak in political power, or some combination of the above.

3. Are you finished? I like it and I'm not a big space nut. I'm curious about the green floaty blobs, how Caden's bones got broken, if the others are like him, etc. etc.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
There were a couple of points that I thought I would mention.

Is it his arm that cracks, or is there a noise in the room - perhaps the reason why he is thrown across the room. If it's his arm, you would need to word it something like: Caden Ellis flew across the hall, and broke his right arm with a loud crack. Otherwise, tell us what the loud crack is.

I agree with Sunshine about the sentance beginning: the kind of pain that... I quick reword would sort it out.

I'm also interested in the green shapes and would read on to know more.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
puppysnot
Member # 5217

- posted      Profile for puppysnot   Email puppysnot         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

What caused the loud crack? Was it his arm breaking, or was the sound from whatever had propelled him across the hall? I could really use more info on the ‘why he was flying’ angle. Was there an explosion, or did he simply trip?
-
The rest of it seems to focus on describing how intense the pain was.
I have been lucky enough to have never had a broken limb. Even without having firsthand knowledge of the pain, I think the description ‘goes on’ a bit too much.
Those who have experienced a broken limb would undoubtedly not need that much description to understand.
Should there be a description of the pain? Sure, if it ads to the story or character. It could probably be shorter and more concise, though.

I’m quite sure the “green, formless shapes” are important in some way. I would much rather have more information on them as opposed to the pain description.

From what is written, I don’t get conflict, emotion, or even danger. The arm is already broken, maybe that’s the worst that will happen and things will get better for him from this point on. I just don’t know.
The “(very) brief summary” didn’t really help me understand anything more of what was written in the ‘first 13’. I sense there may have been some world building, but I'm not picking up on a story, just a setting with two races that don't like each other for no explicable reason.

There is undoubtedly more to the story than meets the eye, but from what is here, I doubt I would read further.

I do hope I’m being helpful. Thank you for the opportunity.
Gordon

Posts: 13 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jericson
Member # 2369

quote:
1. Although this didn't really slow me down, I wonder if altering the following quote "it just swims up and down your arm in pulsating waves, each heartbeat causing you to wince" from the "you" to the "he" perspective would be more consistent and effective.

That's a good point, and something I'm considering in the rest of the story - every once in a while I change to that "you" perspective, but I'm never sure which is the better route...I'll explain more why I do that in a second, though...
quote:
2. I had a clarity question about your summary. I assume when you say "[t]he Humans, a small and weak nomadic race", that you mean they are small in stature and physically weak or perhaps easy to break (such as Caden Ellis' bones)? However, it immediately occurred to me that you might mean they are small in population and weak in political power, or some combination of the above.

You got it half right both times. :P Small in stature and weak in political power.
quote:
3. Are you finished? I like it and I'm not a big space nut. I'm curious about the green floaty blobs, how Caden's bones got broken, if the others are like him, etc. etc.

Unfortunately, not even close. :P But when I am finished, or mostly done, I'll be posting a chapter at a time at read-plan-b.blogspot.com. Feel free to check that out, I've posted a couple times.
quote:
Is it his arm that cracks, or is there a noise in the room - perhaps the reason why he is thrown across the room.

Yeah I realized there'd be some confusion there. It's the reason he's thrown across the room, but words like "bang" or "boom" just didn't have the same effect as "crack". You would find out what the source of that sound was very quickly, though, if you read on.
quote:
The rest of it seems to focus on describing how intense the pain was.
I have been lucky enough to have never had a broken limb. Even without having firsthand knowledge of the pain, I think the description ‘goes on’ a bit too much.
Those who have experienced a broken limb would undoubtedly not need that much description to understand.
Should there be a description of the pain? Sure, if it ads to the story or character. It could probably be shorter and more concise, though.

I was that descriptive for a very specific reason - describing pain seems like a really difficult task for some writers. I hear descriptions like "the pain was white-hot" or something like that, and I have to wonder what the heck that even means. So what I wanted to do was gather a couple of sensations that most people (though apparently not you :P ) would relate to, like the unfocused pain moving around the area, the "cold beads of sweat", etc. I might shorten it, but I'll be leaving it in, anyway.

These first 13 lines also display a very important aspect of the story to me: it will be much less of me "telling a story", and much more of trying to place the reader into the story with the characters and letting them ride along. Exposition comes very slowly in this story, and while for some reasons I'm not so happy about that, the main reason I'm doing it is to establish the fact that you're entering a story where the characters themselves already know most of the background, so why would it suddenly come up? This isn't so much about the first 13 lines here, but I'm just saying, the characters and what they're going through comes first, and exposition and explanation comes only as a result of getting to know the characters more.

That being said, I'm guessing I'm not the first writer to be frustrated by the 13 lines rule, but whatever. You would find out quite quickly where he is and what he's in the middle of - in fact, the very next line is the line that really establishes the dangerous situation he's in.

quote:
I sense there may have been some world building, but I'm not picking up on a story, just a setting with two races that don't like each other for no explicable reason.

That's actually the best summary I've ever come up with, even though I still don't like it very much. :P I have a very hard time describing this story to people. Have you ever watched Firefly? Try and summarize that show in a couple sentences and you'll get the same idea. There's much less plot and much more character involved, at least in this first book (there will be five books).
quote:
There is undoubtedly more to the story than meets the eye, but from what is here, I doubt I would read further.

Ah well. Your loss.

[This message has been edited by Jericson (edited April 15, 2007).]

Posts: 17 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Obviously you know that this opening is problematic. I would want to know what sent him flying before his medical history.

quote:

He had broken many limbs in the mere 18 years of his life, but he still wasn't ready for that most horrible kind of pain - the kind that doesn't seem to have a focal point, it just swims up and down your arm in pulsating waves, each heartbeat causing you to wince.

• Not only does this sentence changes from past-tense to present-tense, it is long.
  • Who's Point of View is this story being told from?

quote:

He gasped for breath[,] as if someone had punched him in the gut[,] and tried to push himself up with his left arm. Cold beads of sweat clung to his forehead.

Nothing about his thoughts and feelings?

quote:

He looked around to try and get his bearings, but no good - he saw nothing but green, formless shapes, dashing back and forth across his vision, as the blood in his head drained away to his broken bones.

IMHO - This should be broken up into a couple of sentences:
    He looked around to try and get his bearings, but it did no good. He saw nothing but green, formless shapes dashing back and forth.

• I question whether or not "...across his vision" is even necessary.
  • I have a problem with "...as the blood in his head drained away to his broken bnones." I've never heard of blood draining into broken bones. I have only heard of blood draining from a head -- with the exception of an open wound -- if someone's inverted.
  • I didn't think that more than one bone had been broken.
  • I can't picture FORMLESS shapes DASHING back and forth. Wouldn't they be more like GREEN BLURS?
  • What are the green things? Why aren't you telling us?

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited April 15, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  • KayTi
    Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
    Nits and random opinions, take or leave.

- mere 18 years...redundant. We know 18 year olds are generally young...unless in your world 18 is a cusp of something, "in the 18 years of his life" or "in his 18 years" would more than suffice.
    - the rest of that first sentence of the 2nd paragraph is mammoth. I suggest you break it down. There's an urgency to a bunch of short sentences that can punch things up a bit, which I believe is part of your intent. The pain was without focus. It pulsed up his arm in waves. His head swam with the intensity. Each heartbeat caused him to wince (though, plausibility point - a wince every heartbeat is pretty much impossible...) Each heartbreat rained another torrent of pain.
    - I think you need more punctuation in the "he gasped for breath" sentence. I'm not the grammar queen, but there's probably a comma before the "and"
    - Same sentence, bad referrent. It can be read "as if someone had punched him in the gut and tried to push ..." Do you see it? Until you get to the himself, it's not clear that the actor in the second clause is the MC, versus the "someone" mentioned in the first clause. Again, not grammar queen, I could be wrong on my terminology, but beware that the first read I was confused.
    - You could end the next sentence at "no good." and start anew - "He saw nothing but..." Again, to tackle sentence length. Long sentences are a little exhausting to read, as people use punctuation and sentence length as mental "breaths" - not kidding, I swear! Not to say you can't have long sentences, in fact it can be smart to include variation in sentence length...but do it purposefully. Here, to be in the moment with the MC, I feel like I need either a complete stream of consciousness that would be entirely connected with ellipses (...) or short, punchy sentences when we're talking about the pain.

Hope this helps! Good luck with this effort.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    sleepn247
    Member # 5312

- posted      Profile for sleepn247   Email sleepn247         Edit/Delete Post 
    I'm ok with not knowing what the loud crack is, after all, I assume to the MC, his arm being broken is far more important. I'm ok with you describing the pain, but it feels a bit too much. When I am hurt, I am not even 1% as coherent as you made it sound.

That being said, tell me how he feels about the pain: Is he afraid because of the source of the crack? Is he angry at the attacker or machine? Is he angry at himself? Is he confused and disoriented?

Posts: 38 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    Jesse D
    Member # 3241

- posted      Profile for Jesse D   Email Jesse D         Edit/Delete Post 
    The crack bothers me too, I have to admit. I'm totally cool with the rest of the passage, but this unnamed crack bothers me. It does strike me as simply an awkward way of saying that his arm made a loud crack when it broke.

So I'm with the crowd that thinks you should clarify that if that's how you're going to lead in to your story.

Posts: 77 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    Jericson
    Member # 2369

quote:
    Obviously you know that this opening is problematic. I would want to know what sent him flying before his medical history.

Patience is a virtue. And if you're trying to say that all the talk about his pain is making you frustrated wanting to know what's happening, then I guess I've done my job. :P

quote:
    Not only does this sentence changes from past-tense to present-tense, it is long.

Mmm, at this point in writing I've decided not to do that tense-switching thing, it is confusing. And I know I write long sentences, I'm always trying to work on that.

quote:
    Nothing about his thoughts and feelings?

"He gasped for breath as if someone had punched him in the gut and tried to push himself up with his left arm. Cold beads of sweat clung to his forehead. But all in all, he was feeling pretty good about himself." Okay, seriously, not meaning to be flippant, but what do you think he was feeling? At least whenever I'm in pain there's not much room in my head for any thoughts or feelings other than "I'm in pain."

quote:
    What are the green things? Why aren't you telling us?

I thought I'd wait until chapter 3 to divulge that info. The rest of this chapter is devoted to his broken arm.

And, um, in case you took that seriously, I'll tell you the truth: you pretty much find out what the green shapes are in the next sentence or so. But I've got 13 lines, so you'll have to stay in the dark.

quote:
    the rest of that first sentence of the 2nd paragraph is mammoth. I suggest you break it down. There's an urgency to a bunch of short sentences that can punch things up a bit, which I believe is part of your intent. The pain was without focus. It pulsed up his arm in waves. His head swam with the intensity. Each heartbeat caused him to wince (though, plausibility point - a wince every heartbeat is pretty much impossible...) Each heartbreat rained another torrent of pain.

Ooh, I kinda like that actually. I think I'll try something like that. And yeah, um, I hadn't exactly given much thought to the wincing thing. I suppose if he actually did that, he'd probably wince himself into a spastic attack. :P

quote:
    Hope this helps! Good luck with this effort.

Thanks, I like the rest of your suggestions too, I'll consider those for sure.

quote:
    That being said, tell me how he feels about the pain:

What are *you* thinking when you read the passage? Are you confused and disoriented? Because that's exactly what he is. The problem is, whatever situation he's in, you've been dropped into this moment of pain, where it's the only thing on his mind. Very soon you would find out just how confusing and disorienting this is for him, considering it completely removed him from his present situation.

See, that's the thing, and I didn't want to reveal anything beyond the 13 lines, but the point simply is, in this passage, that he's in pain. There is no other point. In the next few seconds he needs to get his bearings, refocus his mind on what he's doing, and get back into it. But for right now, all he knows is the pain. So that's all the reader knows. Maybe I could trim it down a bit, but the overall focus of this intro I will keep.

Thanks for the comments everyone, they've definitely got me thinking.

InarticulateBabbler
    Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
    Yes, you're right! I never thought of that: disorient the reader (especially the editor), that'll sell your work for sure.
    Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    ZellieBerraine
    Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for ZellieBerraine           Edit/Delete Post 
    "With a loud crack, Caden Ellis flew across the hall and broke his right arm." - The way the words are placed it makes it sound like him flying across the room was causing the crack and that he broke, as in purposefully-it was his fault-, his arm. The flew also initially makes me think he's literally flying. It would make a lot more sense to me to see what was throwing him across the room and that it was the landing that causes his arm to break.

You say "the kind of" twice and the first time around it works 'that horrible kind of pain' after that, it gets SO specific in the details of the pain that it no longer seems like a "type" of pain so much as a current description of his actual pain. Making it his pain instead of a general pain will make it more personal and avoid all the "you, you, you"

He gasped for breath as if someone had punched him in the gut and tried to push himself up with his left arm. - this could be two sentences

He had broken many limbs in the mere 18 years of his life, but he still wasn't ready for that most horrible kind of pain - the kind that doesn't seem to have a focal point, it just swims up and down your arm in pulsating waves, each heartbeat causing you to wince. He gasped for breath as if someone had punched him in the gut and tried to push himself up with his left arm. Cold beads of sweat clung to his forehead. He looked around to try and get his bearings, but no good - he saw nothing but green, formless shapes, dashing back and forth across his vision, as the blood in his head drained away to his

I like the idea of the blood draining out to his arm (makes more sense if it's through/out/around/etc his arm rather than the bone since bones don't house blood).

broken bones. - he broke multiple arm bones?

Very dramatic opening, a little more detail would help ground it more, make it more powerful.

Posts: 26 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    pixydust
    Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
    quote:
    Yeah I realized there'd be some confusion there. It's the reason he's thrown across the room, but words like "bang" or "boom" just didn't have the same effect as "crack". You would find out what the source of that sound was very quickly, though, if you read on.
    Suspence is good. Confusion is BAD. This is confusing that way you open it. Tell us exactly what's going on--otherwise we won't be able to care enough to keep reading.

quote:
    Patience is a virtue. And if you're trying to say that all the talk about his pain is making you frustrated wanting to know what's happening, then I guess I've done my job. :P
    Don't let Wbirggs here you say this. He'll have a very nice long lecture for you.

Seriously, if the POV character knows then I have to know too. Don't hide info like this, it's more frustrating than fun.

Good luck!

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    Jericson
    Member # 2369

quote:
    Yes, you're right! I never thought of that: disorient the reader (especially the editor), that'll sell your work for sure.

Brilliant, eh? I think I'm gonna patent this technique.

quote:
    Tell us exactly what's going on

Ummm, no thanks.

I really hate to compare my work with another work because I know everyone else will start comparing the two works and show how the other one is infinitely better, BUT...one of the most brilliant intros I've ever seen in any literary work, ever, is the series premiere of Lost. I would say the viewer has no idea what's going on for a good couple of minutes. Well okay, the show has been playing for three seasons and a lot of people still don't know what's going on, but the point is, I love being thrown into a situation like that where I'm completely lost, it makes me eager to find out what's going on. Now I know you're going to tell me that "Yes that technique is good but you're doing it all wrong," but the point is I just want you to see where I'm coming from. Feel free to tell me how I can improve, but the fundamental thing that most people here want me to change - the fact that the reader doesn't understand what's going on - is never going to change. Sorry. :P

KayTi
    Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
    I'll repeat pixydust here and add a bit:
    Suspense, tension, conflict = good

Confusion, deliberately obscuring things from the reader = bad

There's an art to it. I'm no master, but be careful to not try to get too tricky with your writing. Readers get REALLY turned off when they think the writer is doing things to manipulate them into confusion, or hiding things from them that they should. Books that end "and she woke up." somewhat guarantee the loss of a customer for future titles, know what I'm saying?

The writers of Lost took a big risk (full disclosure: I haven't watched the show, though I have an understanding of the premise.) However, let's go ahead and acknowledge that they're highly paid hollywood bigshots, something we all aspire to be. I can virtually guarantee that those writers did not start all (arguably *any*) of their previous works in the same manner.

Also remember, you're not the only audience for your story. People here offer their critiques not only as writers, but as READERS. If a reader says they're confused and it's pissing them off, well - you as the writer should be aware that at least one reader was confused and pissed. If that was your intent, fine, but not many writers set out with the goal of confusing *and* angering their readers.

I was just reading something in a book - maybe the 38 MISTAKES FICTION WRITERS MAKE by bickham? - about this concept of creating tension without making your readers get angry with you. I'll see if I can find the reference, there's a lot written on this topic, I believe. If you really want to do the "chaos" intro and you haven't come across some of this in writing texts yet, it might help you achieve your goals.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    pixydust
    Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 

I understand this is your story, but I'm only telling you what an editor will say. If you want to take that chance, then go for it.

quote:
    you're entering a story where the characters themselves already know most of the background, so why would it suddenly come up?

Just know you're breaking a very hard and fast rule for good reading entertainment. What the POV character knows the reader must also know. So, if Caden knows who/what caused his pain, then the reader needs to know. If he doesn't, then the reader needs to know that. If the reader is in the POV characters head properly he/she should not be confused.

You may not like the rules but they're there for a reason. And remember that other rule: "You can't break the rules until you know them well." And even then, I'd suggest gently bending rather than snapping them off at the neck.

Do you know why this rule is important? If not, then you have no business trying to convince us this is good idea.

Also remember if so many of us are saying that it's confusing, then it's probably confusing. Not exciting, not entertaining. Confusing.

Editors will look for anything to stop having to read your work. Don't give them an excuse to shove it aside in the first sentence. Work at it and make them want to keep reading.

And go find wbriggs and ask him what he thinks about this. I can’t find it right now, but he’ll have a link for you.

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    Lianne
    Member # 5491

- posted      Profile for Lianne           Edit/Delete Post 
    Wow you got some great feedback. Heaps of good stuff to go on, which is a really great compliment. At least people are interested enough to comment - a really good thing, way way better than being ignored. Obviously practice makes perfect, but also obviously its your baby. We're all in the same boat so don't take things too much to heart. Remember KISS.

Just a few language change rounds from me...take what you need from and leave the rest.

Caden Ellis flew across the hall and broke his right arm with a loud crack.

He gasped for breath and tried to push himself up with his left arm. Cold beads of sweat clung to his forehead. He looked around trying to focus, but no good - he saw nothing but green, formless shapes, dashing back and forth.

[This message has been edited by Lianne (edited May 26, 2007).]

Posts: 31 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    debhoag
    Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
    how about just that he flew across the room and his arm broke with a loud crack? you take away the confusion by stating that he did not break his own arm. Or he shot across the room, which implies mroe that he was properlled and not possibly doing this under his won steam?
    Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    kings_falcon
    Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
    The reason I haven't chimed in before now is the withholding of information.

Don't withhold, just tell me. See, all the lovely discussions on this issue in Open Discussions.

Dropping us into this moment might not be the best way to start. Can you start a second or so before so that the reader can get oriented and then his being thrown across the room makes sense to the reader?

If you start here and like this, many readers won't get to the thirteenth line. I wouldn't.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    kings_falcon
    Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
    ah ha! A moment free to find my links:

Just tell me: http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/002716.html

Why the problem with the first 13 isn't that it's too short:
    http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/002662.html

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    wrenbird
    Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
    The crutial difference between your novel and Lost is not the level of skill, it is the medium. Lost could get away with an opening like that because it is a TV show. Your work is a novel.
    Huge difference.
    I think writers often make the mistake of saying "I saw this done successfully on a movie, or on TV" but they are forgetting one huge factor. In TV and Movies we can actually physically see what is happening and this does alot to help us understand a bit better what is going on. We see the setting, and the faces of characters, and we it gives us an anchor so we do not run adrift in confusing plot lines.
    However, when someone is reading, all they see is words. And reading the name "Caden" is far less memorable than seeing an actor's face. Personally, it usually takes me a little while to understand who is who and what is what in a book, with frequent flipping back a few pages to remind myself.
    If you are opening your book with confusion, it gives the reader no anchor, and most lose interest.

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
     - Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
    Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.