Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Birth of the Dragon

Author Topic: Birth of the Dragon
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
I posted a piece of this under short stories, as The Captive, but am thinking that this might be a novel project. Here is the novel first 13.

When he was a very small boy, Draga had understood the language of horses. The strong, spare music of their speech had flowed around him everywhere except the central chambers of his Father's castle.
They were full of a robust humor, rarely angry or sad. Unlike people, horses were solid, matter-of-fact thinkers, firmly grounded in the here and now.
It was the horses, not the stable hands, who taught him how to ride. They thought it a great joke, and snuffled and blew and stomped their hooves in the dirt in amusement, but managed to nudge him up onto the back of a huge, sloe-eyed stallion named Iute (the quick one). Sitting on Iute's broad rump, Draga felt as if part of the horse's majestic power had

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited September 30, 2007).]

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meg.stout
Member # 6193

- posted      Profile for meg.stout   Email meg.stout         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Deb. I don't have a memory, so I don't know if I commented on this in its other incarnation.

quote:
When he was a very small boy, Draga had understood the language of horses. The strong, spare music of their speech had flowed around him everywhere except the central chambers of his Father's castle.

I'd write this differently (I even write myself differently when I come back to something, so that's no shock). Something like "Draga had understood the language of horses for as long as he could remember..."

quote:
They were full of a robust humor, rarely angry or sad. Unlike people, horses were solid, matter-of-fact thinkers, firmly grounded in the here and now.

OK. I'd end with "Not like people."

quote:
It was the horses, not the stable hands, who taught him how to ride. They thought it a great joke, and snuffled and blew and stomped their hooves in the dirt in amusement, but managed to nudge him up onto the back of a huge, sloe-eyed stallion named Iute (the quick one).

I'd end this thought with "amusement." Since I haven't read any further, I don't know why you bother characterizing Iute as "the quick one." Took me out of the story.

quote:
Sitting on Iute's broad rump, Draga felt as if part of the horse's majestic power had become his. From his perch, a good sixteen hands above the ground, he felt strong.

Could be stronger.

I'm wondering where this prince's people are, that they're letting him canoodle with horses. Meanwhile the stable hands sit around watching the King's son be 'handled' by horses large enough to crush him with a swat of their tails, let alone squash him with a twitch of their hooves.

[This message has been edited by meg.stout (edited September 30, 2007).]

Posts: 336 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Deb, I like that you're expanding this into a book! I definitely think it has potential.

This opening didn't grab me so much, though I do like that it presents a picture of Vlad Tepes that's a bit unusual.

When he was a very small boy, Draga had understood the language of horses. Something about the tenses here feels off to me. Why are you already jumping into pluperfect? Why not, "Since he was a very small boy, Draga understood the language of horses."

...except the central chambers of his Father's castle.
This was odd to me. Why are you telling us this? Is it simply because the horses aren't allowed in the central chambers, or is there something mystical going on that we are being alerted to? If the latter, I'll roll with it, but if there isn't anything particularly important about the central chambers, I'd suggest losing this.

It was the horses, not the stable hands, who taught him how to ride.
This almost feels like a second beginning, or makes the first few sentences feel like a false start. I almost think you could start here, maybe with "Horses" as the subject (rather than "it") and simply let the music of the horses unfold, rather than telling us about it. And with royalty, I'd expect there was some sort of horse master to teach the boys.

They thought it a great joke, and snuffled and blew and stomped their hooves in the dirt in amusement,kind of repetitive--great joke and amusement. but Why "but"? One doesn't seem contrary to the other managed to nudge him up onto the back of a huge, sloe-eyed stallion named Iute (the quick one). Sitting on Iute's broad rump, Draga felt as if part of the horse's majestic power had become his. From his perch, a good sixteen hands above the ground, he felt strong. LAgain, last two sentences are repetitive--the majestic power is already feels part of him, and is a much more powerful image than being told "he felt strong." And why is he sitting so far back?

Also, "strong, spare music" and "solid, matter-of-fact thinkers" doesn't bring to mind "robust humor." Furthermore, the horses are also "majestic" but still practical jokers. It rather diluted the effect of them to be told they are so many different things in such a short span.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited September 30, 2007).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
The hook was there for me, and I really enjoyed your writing style.
I did wonder if lute, the horse at the end was supposed to be spelled Lute. You wrote it in lowercase twice, making me suspect that it was intentional. Is there some reason why? It confused me a little.

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
wrenbird-- the font on this board doesn't have serifs, therefore the capital i looks like a lower case L. There was confusion about one of my character names too, as well as lehollis's handle, which is more properly Lehollis (though I love the name iehollis, actually...)

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited October 01, 2007).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

Iute is Romanian for The Quick One. I wasn't saying he was quick, I was providing the translation for his name. There is a method in my madness. Muah ha ha!

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited October 01, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited October 01, 2007).]

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi deb, you could remove the confusion with something like:

but managed to nudge him up onto the back of a huge, sloe-eyed stallion, Iute, whose name meant the quick one.

When he was a very small boy, Draga had understood the language of horses.

This say to me that he is no longer a small boy and can no longer understand the horses. Maybe this is what you mean!

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

exactly, Darklight. Just like the mention of not being able to hear them in the central chambers begins to build the idea that when he is inside in his father's court is when he is most alone and without the support or guidance of his friends.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.