Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Title pending, but here's the start

Author Topic: Title pending, but here's the start
Kirona
Member # 7125

- posted      Profile for Kirona           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm starting from scratch - again - and I wanted to know what you all think of my new beginning.

Oh, and if you want to know what I mean by 'again,' I've been working on a fantasy novel for years, and I typed this beginning about five minutes before posting it here. I'm also one of those I-will-type-the-entire-thing-from-beginning-to-end people. I don't do scenes in the middle and then try to figure out how to connect the dots.

I hate dots. Anyway, here it is.

I’m going to hurt someone if I don’t stop, I thought, scowling. I forced my taloned hands back into my lap and tried to ignore the crack in the stone. If I kept picking at the thing, the whole shelf would give way, and I would probably ride the thing all the way down to the center of the Council Chamber, crushing everyone in my path.
Well, I thought, it wouldn’t crush anyone. It’s not even as wide as I am tall.
Of course, I still had to stop; the Council was meeting, and smashing someone’s tail would be the wrong way to get attention.
“You look annoyed,” whispered a small blue sitting next to me. I frowned; of course Drenkai would notice.
“I am,” I admitted. “I need to leave, and Aykolan won’t stop looking at me.”

Okay, that's it. Any thoughts?

(edited when I saw that the UBB code actually works)

[This message has been edited by Kirona (edited November 19, 2007).]

Posts: 58 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this. I have a couple of things.

You have italics and I thought. It's a bit overkill, IMHO. I suggests drop the I thought..

quote:
“You look annoyed,” whispered a small blue sitting next to me.

I'm confused as to what a small blue is. Is this missing something?

[This message has been edited by darklight (edited November 21, 2007).]

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kirona
Member # 7125

I will happily drop the I thought as soon as I can find a way to rephrase my wording to fit. >.< If you meant that I should remove the italics, though, I have no idea how to manage that one.

As for the 'small blue,' I intended to make that clear in the next few paragraphs, but I suppose that leaving out such a detail would put off any publishers I sent this to.

Well, Here's a second run at it, with your suggestions in mind (thanks for those, by the way).

I’m going to hurt someone if I don’t stop. I forced my taloned hands back into my lap and tried to ignore the crack in the stone. If I kept picking at the thing, the whole shelf would give way, and I would probably ride the thing all the way down to the center of the Council Chamber, crushing everyone in my path.
Well, it wouldn’t crush anyone. It’s not even as wide as I am tall.
Of course, I still had to stop; the Council was meeting, and smashing someone’s tail would be the wrong way to get attention.
“You look annoyed,” whispered a small blue dragon sitting next to me. I frowned; of course Drenkai would notice.
“I am,” I admitted. “I need to leave, and Aykolan won’t stop looking at me.”

Posts: 58 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I have trouble visualizing what is going on.

I am glad you dropped the 'scowling' in your revision. I was unsure if it was POV violation as a scowl seems more something you see on someone else. I am often not aware of my own expressions but would be more aware of how I was feeling e.g. annoyed.

Do I take 'taloned hands' as meaning I have talons (a claw...not just the nail bit), or my nails are long and therefore my hands resemble talons? I am unsure.

Shelves are on the wall usually (and not very big) yet if your MC continues to pick the crack it will'.... give way, and I would probably ride the thing all the way down to the center of the Council Chamber, crushing everyone in my path.' I am not sure where the MC is to begin with. Is he(?) in the hall, above it, to one side?

Do I have a name? Do I have a sex?

By the end of your intro it is clear I am a dragon, but I am still unsure of exactly where I am. I think you need to firm up the surroundings and instead of mentioning the 'taloned hands' (to cue us you are a dragon) which is confusing opt for a tail or scale reference instead. Or just call them talons.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 4638

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Your revision definitely read better than the first draft, but it still doesn't make any sense to me. What is the crack in the stone? Why would you pick at a crack in the stone? Why would you "ride the whole thing down..."? What?

On the other hand, you have a good style and it reads well. You just need to explain what's happening and where [whatever it is] is.

Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kirona
Member # 7125

*sigh*

This is the reason that most of my intro attempts don't take place in the Council chamber, but rather at some point before the meeting takes place.

Of course, I also moved a vital element of the story from 'before' the intro to 'after' the intro to reduce how much has to be explained and to give people a better view of the MC before he gets thrown into the events that make up the main story. That element is, however, vital, and moving it about quite literally changes the date of birth of another very important character.

Thanks for mentioning that thing about the 'scowling' part; it made me remember that most people aren't aware of their expressions like that (I am, but I'm highly unusual in that, so...).

Your question about the 'taloned hands' part is also great, since (as you pointed out) it could mean more than one thing. I'll have to find a way to mention other features first so that the talons are more easily envisioned... or I need to find a better phrasing for it.

About the shelf - I mainly included it so that the crack could exist, letting the MC pick at it (a classic sign that someone is bored or annoyed or something is picking at something like that, at least in my experience). I'm probably going to remove that part, and the shelf thing entirely, since the ways I had emphasized this emotion in other versions of this story seem to work better; by the time this scene occurs, all it takes is the MC thinking about how stupid the event is, or whatever (I usually start the story somewhat before this event). The whole thing about riding the shelf down to the center of the chamber is because the crack is severe, and the shelf itself is close to coming off of the wall entirely.

This shelf will not be in future revisions, it rather disrupts the setting. Since I will likely move the intro to an earlier time, in a different place, the shelves have no purpose. Even if the intro stays here, though, it won't be overly difficult to remove them in favor of something simpler.

Regardless, the MC is at the outermost edge of the chamber, and whatever he's doing, he does not want to end up at the center.

As for the question of whether the MC is in, above, or to one side of the chamber...all three, in a way.

I don't know a great way to describe the chamber from within the narrative, but I suppose telling you here will be easier.

Think of those pyramids in South America, the terraced ones. Imaging one that is perfectly round, extremely large, and with dozens of terraces. Now, flip it upside down, stamp it into the ground, remove it, and put a rough dome over the impression. Thatis effectively what the interior of the chamber looks like. The shelves would be tacked on afterwards, though still of stone, but that doesn't matter since I've now decided to remove them entirely. There are better ways to do what they were intended to do.

The MC is 'in' the chamber in that it's all one room, and he is in it. He's 'above' it in that he's on the highest level (of course, I just now realize that I can call them terraces within the narrative as well.... Grr). He's 'to one side' in that he's at the outermost edge of the chamber.

As for name and sex, I don't see anywhere to include gender-revealing anything in this intro. However, I do see a good place to stick a name, so my next run will have the (first) name of the MC - assuming I don't scrap this intro and go for a different scene taking place before this whole event.

Now for the final thing - the MC is not actually a dragon (thus why I dont go for scales, wings, tail, or just plain old talons right off in this). Since, I totally see how you would perceive otherwise, though, this is now another reason I'm thinking of scrapping the intro for a different scene. It's really challenging for me to come up with a way to describe the MC in this setting, since he's not moving, thus he's not really thinking about his physical form (a factor in his life that constantly bothers him, since there is literally nothing else in his world with his features, and within the universe, no one race has all of his features).

Woo for having the MC be an unintentional result of an unforeseen reaction between two very different spells cast by very different races.

Anyway, thanks for all of the feedback, it's really helping me to see what needs improving in my story in general - and that I should stop trying to start the story here when it would be so much better to start it several days (at the very least) before the event.

I've officially decided, this intro is scrap. I will put up the new intro once I have it; hopefully I will be able to reveal more information in it, without making an infodump the size of the moon.

Hmm, I think that my train of thought is almost tangible in this post...

Oh, and as for the character's name, it's Kirona. Yes, like my screen name. No, I don't want to be teased about it.

Again, thank you all for your feedback.

Kirona
Member # 7125

Wow, I post, then I look at the post and see that it takes up my entire screen.

I'm sorry about that, I tend to ramble.

I'm rambling again, so.....

yeah....

supraturtle
Member # 1518

- posted      Profile for supraturtle   Email supraturtle         Edit/Delete Post 
Ramble ramble. (:
I see a child here. Someone who thinks like a kid. His fantasies escape his id. He is distractable and emotional.
He ain't human, that's good. (:
(Oh yeah, SHE is a substitute for the above use of HE.)
The function is official, he (she) is in witness.

Okay I got all that. How about 'small blue' becomes something like a 'Smallblue?' I lost my pace there.
But I would read on...

Posts: 121 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

If I am not a dragon, and am some complicated mix of spells then, personally I would want the reader to be able to picture me clearly from the beginning. Otherwise they may get the wrong idea, picture something that needs changing later--never a good idea.

Perhaps you should start your story differently.

e.g. I suppose you could call me a mistake--not in the sense that my parents didn't want me. Just that they hadn't planned on me becoming what I am--but then neither had I. When magics mix the results can be...well, unpredictable to say the least.

Blah, blah. Obviously you would need to make it hooky etc, but you MC isn't human so some explaination of what he is required if he isn't something else I know. Either that or simplify, make him a dragon!

My two pence.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kirona
Member # 7125

Skadder, thank you for your continued support and feedback. I'd already said that I'm scrapping this beginning, but your advice will help in the new revision as well, and I will keep it in mind.

Supraturlte - I'm wondering what makes you think that the MC is a child, and what all that is about the fantasies escaping the id and emotions and such. I'm also wondering, no offense, if you read any post beyond the initial one before you posted, since you mention being confused by the 'small blue' when post #3 (my second revision) says 'small blue dragon' instead.

**NOTE**
As I said in earlier posts, I have scrapped this intro. For clarity, the new version will be in a separate thread as soon as I get one that works, aka attempt number 18 or thereabouts.

General advice is still highly appreciated, but in all honesty, specific critique will be wasted unless I somehow decide to return to this intro attempt at a later date (which is highly unlikely).

(edited for a spelling error)

[This message has been edited by Kirona (edited November 26, 2007).]

skadder
Member # 6757

I guess I just wasn't sure how much you were going to scrap. I scrap beginnings, but often keep the same elements and re-write without reference to the previous version, to see if it pops out better. I was just advising regarding something I thought was important.

Kirona
Member # 7125

Heh, I'm not changing the core of the story, I'm only changing where it starts. After all, the entire scene I tried to start it in works so much better when you already know the basics of what's going on.

As far as how much I scrap when I decide to scrap, one of the 18-ish attempts so far had gone as far as the 11th chapter. Every time I scrap something other than the latest part of something, the whole thing goes. I can't get anything to work with major modifications...

>.<

supraturtle
Member # 1518

- posted      Profile for supraturtle   Email supraturtle         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no insult intended or received at all.
The thread got a little long and I started to fade, sorry.
Critiquing a fragment is tough just for those things. I love to introduce elements and have them become better defined as the 'universe' unfolds... further on. I mean a reader might not know what a COAX is when a character rests his hand on it, but he might get it when the COAX is spitting bullets downrange, or at least a better idea. Same with the small blue. A chapter down and there's no question, but thirteen lines in...
And actually, I like Small Blue better, or SmallBlue, or dragon language for Small Blue.
Child: I suppose you could be highlighting the difference between a dragon's psycii and that of a human... one of the dicey things. I just saw temper tantrums and distractive thoughts in a centralized environment and remembered how kids are in a classroom.

[This message has been edited by supraturtle (edited November 25, 2007).]

Posts: 121 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kirona
Member # 7125

Thank you for clearing that up, I was having a hard time understanding your earlier post.

Of course, that may very well have been because I was reading it at 3:30 in the morning....

>.< I need to get into a better sleep schedule, or I'll fail hard when I get a job.

supraturtle
Member # 1518

A little short 48 hours straight up here and 11 hours of that at work. I spent all last night writing to about 2000 words.
So I feel ya. (:

Kirona
Member # 7125

Gah, 48 hours straight and I would not be a good person to be around (read: within a mile, or on the same web page).

I get grumpy.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.