Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Project Sagitarius

Author Topic: Project Sagitarius
D-Negative
Member # 5078

- posted      Profile for D-Negative   Email D-Negative         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a sci-fi story I have been thinking about alot lately. I'd appreciate any feedback on the writing. Mostly, I want to know how easy it is to understand. Seems like I might be dumping too much on at once. It's called Project Sagittarius, as the topic implied. (Though I just noticed that I misspelled it.)

“So what are they doing to you? Doesn’t look like they’ve cut you open or anything, so you aren’t a splice. Can’t be a spine spider like me or there’s no way you’d be moving so early. Have they stabbed you full of blood infusions…?”
No reply. This kid was a real gift, I could tell already.
“Look, you ain't doing yourself any favors with the silent self pity, okay? Get straight to hating em, like me. That way you can skip a step. At least give me a name or something. Can’t keep calling you 968 like that ear tag you got says. I’m Dreedo, by the way. Been in the Project for three years.”
Two plain brown eyes looked up at me at last. First sign that he’d even noticed I was there. “I have a headache.”

[This message has been edited by D-Negative (edited November 21, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by D-Negative (edited November 21, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by D-Negative (edited November 22, 2007).]

Posts: 5 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grant John
Member # 5993

- posted      Profile for Grant John   Email Grant John         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked it. Certainly hooked me. Why? That might be helpful feedback. The use of terms that the character clearly understood which were unusual, and I wanted to read on to find out what the terms meant.

Grant

Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kirona
Member # 7125

- posted      Profile for Kirona           Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice. The only thing I would say, and it's wouldn't really work in this instance, is to spell out numbers rather than just typing them numerically.

Of course, like I said, I don't think that it would work in this case, since 968 is simpler to read then nine hundred sixty eight, or nine six eight, or whatever.

Hmm, maybe I should just leave my post to a simple compliment, since I seem to be babbling, but...

I'm trying to be helpful, honest, but I can't see anything here that I would say is a definite must-change. Just something that I would change because I'm picky.

Posts: 58 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I would say spell the numbers. Nine-six-eight would be how I would do it.

Otherwise I like it. I would read on. Spine spiders sounds interesting. Sounds like a surgical device.

I do feel you are lacking in description of the surroundings. The dialogue isn't enough for me. It's almost as though I am blind and can only hear voices.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited November 23, 2007).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supraturtle
Member # 1518

- posted      Profile for supraturtle   Email supraturtle         Edit/Delete Post 
968: I'd describe the tag so you can get around the whole second-line-of-the-check thing. I mean, 968 is a name--a symbol in context here, not a number.
Treat it as such. You read numbers, but you see symbols.

Posts: 121 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.