Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Sadira

Author Topic: Sadira
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a dream last night, last night I had a dream . . . but it wasn't in black and white, and involved a bunch of Airstream trailers and a post-modern Arabic world with magic and giant bugs:

Sadira thought about going back the hotel room until she relaxed enough to fall asleep, but the lobby bazaar was hopping, spilling out into the street and down the broad roadway beyond, and she decided to go exploring instead.
It was not as if the stolid lunk of a husband she was married to would be available to notice one way or another. He would remain in meeting for hours, she was sure, oblivious to the night magic that was calling her name, luring her feet into the narrow pathways between shops. sending up sparks of amazement and delight everywhere she looked.
It took Sadi about thirty seconds to dodge her bodyguards and escape to the freedom of the fragrant streets. The bodyguards were more for show than anything else, really - there wasn't

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited August 16, 2008).]

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
You're doing a novel-a-month, now? That really pisses me off, Deb, since I can't do a short story every month. Kathleen, is there a rule limiting the rate of novel postings? There should be.

I'm a little nervous about beginning a story with a dream sequence, and in this case the dream prelude seems pretty removed from the dream narrative. I like the dream narrative quite a bit and no doubt it will converge with the prelude, but that takes a bit of faith in the writer. Faith-in-the-writer is minimal in the first-13 world view. [Officiousness over.]

I have no idea how recognizable the song lyric is, but the repeat of the inversion bothers me a bit. (There is a current thread in the "Writing" forum about using lyrics, BTW. Worth looking at.)

As I said, I like the narrative and seems like a fun story. (What's the subgenre, if any?)

Nits:
He would remain in meeting for hours,...: meetings or a meeting

pathways between shops.[comma] sending up sparks of amazement

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

No, wouldbe - I had a dream . The plot for this story is it. that's not part of the beginning, that's the explanation for where the idea came from. Although, now that you mention it . . . maybe there's a novel there.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. I took it that the 13 lines started with "Sadira...."
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

yep. Sadira is the start, although I was hoping the word 'jinn' would make the cut. Sigh. As for genre, I would think space operatic, kind of, Aladdin and the 40 thieves. If Aladdin was a woman. With a cross-dressing brother. And was being chased by a 12 foot black bug from another galaxy. And Airstream trailers were all in vogue for the sheik who has simply everything. Did I mention just a soupcon of Dukes of Hazard?

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited August 16, 2008).]

WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I knew that *cough*. Of course, the dream thing wasn't part of the opening *wheeze*. Whaddya take me for, a dope? *hack wheeze*
Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

Carry on, oh fearless leader.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, WouldBe, it might have been the real beginning. It could have been the front end of a frame to the story.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

Only if I wasn't an incredibly shallow writer. Wouldbe bethought me better than I wasbe. Ing.

SolarStone
Member # 3524

- posted      Profile for SolarStone   Email SolarStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Tell, tell, tell, all you do is tell. This beginning would be so wonderful if you’d show us how she dodges the bodyguards and demonstrate why she perceives her husband this way, and so on. I sense you want to get us into the bazaar or on the streets where the ‘action’ is ASAP, but you skipped a bunch to do it.
Posts: 112 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reagansgame
Member # 8149

- posted      Profile for Reagansgame   Email Reagansgame         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like the voice of this story.
Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.