Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Query letter for Government Kid

Author Topic: Query letter for Government Kid
SolarStone
Member # 3524

- posted      Profile for SolarStone   Email SolarStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course I have the standard Dear Mr/Ms before I launch into my deal. Then is goes...

When ten-year-old Billy Caldwell begins experiencing the thoughts and emotions of those around him---and realizes he can manipulate them as well---he thinks he’s becoming a superhero. He doesn’t know it, but he’s the progeny of a secret government program which has inadvertently granted him psychokinetic power over all technology in GOVERNMENT KID, my debut SF novel.

The Government Kid program ensures that only genetically perfected children are born into Earth’s warring city-states, where citizens integrate with their world through an imp, a nanotech implant which coalesces in the brain to become personal computer, communicator, and constant companion. In this world where secrets die fast, Billy is on the run from rogue government agencies in a hellish urban wasteland where the sun projected on the dome overhead never sets, the gangs in control of the streets never rest, and the only thing standing between the godlike powers of a frightened little boy and the destruction of civilization is the innocent good nature of Billy himself.

Posts: 112 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
When ten-year-old Billy Caldwell begins experiencing the thoughts and emotions of those around him---and realizes he can manipulate them as well---he thinks he’s becoming a superhero. He doesn’t know it, but he’s the progeny of a secret government program which has inadvertently granted him psychokinetic power over all technology in GOVERNMENT KID, my debut I think it's only a debut if it's actually being published. Not sure, but I'd cut it anyway. Instead, put the word count, "GOVERNMENT KID, a 65,000 word Science Fiction novel." SF novel.

The Government Kid program ensures that only genetically perfected children are born into Earth’s warring city-states, This made me wonder how far into the future this story is. You might want to include that. where citizens integrate with their world through an imp, a nanotech implant which coalesces in the brain to become personal computer, communicator, and constant companion. cool concept, but how does it tie into the story? In this world where secrets die fast, Billy is on the run from rogue government agencies why is Billy on the run? What secret of his died fast? That he has the psychokinetic power? You started this paragraph with set up, and then jumped right into the story. I wouldn't mind a breif explaination of how the governent "inadvertenly granted" Billy the power. in a hellish urban wasteland where the sun projected on the dome overhead never sets, while the sun thing is kind of cool, it doesn't seem significant enough to include in the query the gangs in control of the streets never rest, and the only thing standing between the godlike powers of a frightened little boy and the destruction of civilization is the innocent good nature of Billy himself. long sentence. Break it up a bit. Also, the last part doesn't make sense to me. The innocent good nature of Billy is standing between the godlike powers of a frightened little boy (Billy?) and world destruction? I don't understand. Are Billy's godlike powers causing the destruction of civilization, and only Billy's good nature can stop his own actions? I can see what you are perhaps trying to say, but "stands between" doesn't seem to be the right word choice here. I could be wrong, though.

Overall, I think this sounds like a neat story. The first paragraph is good. In the second, I want to understand
1. Why the world is facing destruction?
2. What Billy's powers have to do with it, if anything?
3. How Billy can be able to potentially stop the world destruction?
Oh, and I want to know a little more about what the government is after. Why are they following him? Do they want to use him? Or destroy him?

[This message has been edited by wrenbird (edited September 30, 2008).]

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SolarStone
Member # 3524

- posted      Profile for SolarStone   Email SolarStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent, wren. I agree that Billy's "stakes" aren't clearly defined, which addresses most of what you took issue with. Queries are hard to churn out, almost as hard as a synopsis is. I just started beating my head into the keyboard at one point because this is SF, and that means lots of milieu that must be left out or can't be included. TIghT is right.

The fresh eyes are welcome. I've had two agents request partials off this query and yet the way it reads has bugged me for weeks.

Thanks. Any more want to chime in?

Posts: 112 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kin Castelmare
Member # 8215

- posted      Profile for Kin Castelmare   Email Kin Castelmare         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Smokes! wrenbird is very thorough and very perceptive with her comments! I can only think of a couple of things to add to her excellent suggestions.

What form of rule has over-arching authority to govern warring city-states? A republic of some kind? Or a hegemony of one powerful nation over the others? Is it a global government or essentially within the U.S.? What sort of group is powerful enough to endanger the world with this technology....

For the last sentence, perhaps something along the lines of "and the godlike powers of a frightened little boy name Billy could destroy the world--or save it, but only if he can hold on to his innocent good nature.

Appreciations, by the way, for the useful instruction here. I'm learning more about the dreaded query process thanks to your postings.

Posts: 37 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SolarStone
Member # 3524

Ooooooo, that's a good sentence. I fully intend to steal it and modify it for my own evil purposes. Muuhhhaaaahhaaa. Thanks.
SolarStone
Member # 3524

Okay, second go at it. Acutally, this would be my millionth go at it...

When ten-year-old Billy Caldwell begins experiencing the thoughts and emotions of those around him---and realizes he can manipulate them as well---he believes he’s becoming a superhero. He doesn’t know it, but he’s the progeny of the Imago Dei project, a secret program that has inadvertently granted him psychokinetic power over all technology in GOVERNMENT KID, my 87,000 word SF novel.

For fifty years the Government Kid program has produced genetically perfected children for Earth’s city-states, where every citizen interfaces with their tech-immersed world via an imp; a nanotech brain implant. Billy and the others like him can hack an imp with a casual thought, but not every child shares in the innocent good nature that prevents him from misusing his talent. When a disturbed little girl irresistibly compels dozens of mothers to commit filicide, the program’s cover is blown. Suddenly Billy is being hunted by a brutal operative who would kill to obtain his powers, and authorities who will destroy him to protect a world utterly dependant on the technology permanently buried inside of every person’s head. Billy must find a way to escape before he’s forced to defend himself with godlike powers he is only now beginning to realize…and can barely contain.

[This message has been edited by SolarStone (edited October 04, 2008).]

Angfla
Member # 2904

- posted      Profile for Angfla   Email Angfla         Edit/Delete Post 
Very good. Much better than the first one. Just a couple of things. Use active voice where you can i.e. "which has inadvertently granted him psychokinetic." You don't really need the word 'has' and it reads stronger simply as "which inadvertently granted him . . ." Same thing here "For fifty years the Government Kid program has produced genetically . . ." rather "For fifty years the Government Kid program produced. . ."

I find this sentence a little unclear. "Billy and the others like him can hack an imp with a casual thought, but not every child shares in the innocent good nature that prevents him from misusing his talent." I wasn't sure whose good nature you were talking about. I think it would be work better if you said " . . . but not every child shares Billy's innocent good nature that . . ." or ". . .but not every child shares his innocent good nature, which prevents Billy from misusing . . ."

In this sentence, "When a disturbed little girl irresistibly compels . . ." I don't think you need the word irresistibly. If you used the word 'persuades' or something like that that isn't as strong of a word as 'compels' you could certainly use 'irresistibly' but when paired with 'compels' it just seems redundant.

Pretty nit picky stuff. Overall, I think it's excellent much stronger and clearer than the first one. Congrats on getting two responses already. Best of luck.

Posts: 37 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angfla
Member # 2904

One other thing, this line, "Suddenly Billy is being hunted by a brutal operative who would kill to obtain his powers . . ." threw me a little. It left me wondering who the operative would kill to obtain Billy's powers. If he killed Billy then wouldn't that mean that Billy's powers would die with Billy. If it wasn't Billy he was going to kill to get his powers then who was the operative going to kill since the rest of the letter sets it up as though Billy is on his own.
Posts: 37 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angfla
Member # 2904

It's me again. I just looked at a thread where I gave another writer advice to use active voice and apparently I was wrong, so please disregard my advice about removing the 'hads'. I hope the other stuff is helpful.
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
Much better. Good job.

My only nit was that in the first paragraph you refer to a project named Imago Dei, but in the first line of the very next paragraph, you call it Government Kid. It seems like they are both the same project, so I'd stick to one of the names or the other.

Other than that, I think you are in good shape.

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SolarStone
Member # 3524

Thank you all for the help and your time. I'm still working on it and at times I fear I'm going snowblind. Bouncing stuff around in this forum is a must at times like this. I got two requests on two different query letters for this same story, but I've also gotten ten rejections, so I know it's still not up to snuff.

Oh, wren, the Imago Dei project occurs within the Government Kid program just like any top-secret weapons system exists within the DOD. I might drop the Imago Dei name as I did in earlier versions and just say, 'a top secret' or 'secret' program, but later in the letter it gets cumbersome as all get out.

[This message has been edited by SolarStone (edited October 04, 2008).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's me again. I just looked at a thread where I gave another writer advice to use active voice and apparently I was wrong, so please disregard my advice about removing the 'hads'. I hope the other stuff is helpful.

If the sentences read better, and convey the correct information without the "hads," then go ahead and remove them.

I remember OSC saying that every element of a story should be able to fight for the right to be there, and if the story works without it, then get rid of it.

This goes for single words as well as characters, scenes, and plot elements.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SolarStone
Member # 3524

Well said. I agreed with her and ignored her retraction. Follow those insticts...
SolarStone
Member # 3524

Okay, here's yet another take...this time a different tack.

In the future, the Government Kid program produces genetically-perfected children for Earth’s city-states, where citizens integrate with their world via an imp; a nanotech brain implant. Genetics aside, everything else in ten-year old Billy Caldwell’s life is far from perfect. Not only is his mom turning tricks to support her Shine habit, but he’s sure he’s going to be “recalled” once an upcoming Passageway Test detects the fact that he’s going nuts. After all, only crazy people can experience---and sometimes influence---the thoughts and emotions of those around them, right? He doesn’t know it, but he’s the progeny of a secret project that has inadvertently granted him psychokinetic powers over nanotechnology in GOVERNMENT KID, my 87,000 word SF novel.

When the program’s cover is blown and the others like him are slaughtered by their mothers, Billy narrowly escapes only to be dumped into a hellish urban wasteland where the sun projected on the dome overhead never sets and the gangs in control of the streets never rest. He’s being hunted by a brutal political operative who desires the powers for himself, and government agents bent on protecting society from a potentially omnipotent threat. Billy must find a way to elude them all before he’s forced to defend himself with godlike powers he is only beginning to realize…and realizes he can barely contain.

honu
Member # 8277

- posted      Profile for honu   Email honu         Edit/Delete Post 
OK here's how this strikes me: Billy is on the run from Black Government program bad guys that want him back or at least the hardware he carries. Billy has powers over people around him and over [BOLD]all technology?[/BOLD] I am not drawn to the theme personally, but as a YA read I think it has promise.
Posts: 690 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.