Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » new opening for Harper Street

Author Topic: new opening for Harper Street
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
After putting it down for a little while, I decided I'd like to start Harper Street with the murderer at work. Here's the new opening, comments greatly appreciated. Harper Street is a romantic thriller set in Tucson, AZ.

The killer blotted his face with a handkerchief, but it didn't help much. Even the pristine cotton had wilted in Tucson's smothering summer heat. In the desert, lightening burst, bloomed and withered. He watched, a grin twisting his face. He identified with the lightening; could feel it firing within him. He had also burst into awareness of what he needed to do; he struck with lightening speed, his victims unaware, until they balanced on the razor's edge, that they were dancing with death itself. And he, too, vanished back into nothingness when he was finished, gone with no trace until he was ready to strike again.

Striking time was almost upon him, and he chafed at this last, small wait, even while the anticipation tortured him with

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited November 29, 2008).]

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The killer blotted his face with a handkerchief, but it didn't help much. Even the pristine cotton had wilted in Tucson's smothering summer heat. In the desert, lightening burst, bloomed and withered. He watched, a grin twisting his face. He identified with the lightening; could feel it firing within him. [I'm digging this. Good job.]He had also burst into awareness [This reads awkwardly to me.] of what he needed to do; he struck with lightening speed, his victims unaware, until they balanced on the razor's edge, that they were dancing with death itself. And he, too, vanished back into nothingness when he was finished, gone with no trace until he was ready to strike again.[I think you presented the last half of this paragraph too early. Do you need to mix up moments?]

Striking time was almost upon him, and he chafed at this last, small wait, even while the anticipation tortured him with thoughts of the pleasure to come. Then, a small distant sound - his discomfort was forgotten; he leaned forward to listen

I would have preferred to see the second paragraph start after "could feel it firing within him." Otherwise, I think you have a good hook. I'm curious about the killer's perspective instead of repulsived by him because of the tone. It's as if the killer considers himself an element of nature.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Lightening is a change in light.
Lightning is the flash of elcetricity during the storm.

Also you use the word 3 times in a very short span. I didnt mind the first 2, but the third, the lightning speed seemed redundant. I new where you were going with the speed. I might sugges, something along the lines of striking from the shadows, his victims....

The part of the grin twisting face. Read a little off to me. It could just be my preference but, I like it a little simpler, makes the lightning line stand out more. He smiled. He identified with the ....

While this 13 did work for me, it was telling versus showing in my opinion. I might suggest changing the last paragraph, showing his anticipation torturing him with the thoughts of pleasure. You have already as an author chosen to allow us in the killers head, you may as well let us see at least some glimpses of his tortured thoughts.

Also, since you have chosen to allow us in the killers head, starting a story this way, I would hope as a reader that it would continue with more scenes from the killer's POV and not just used this once to get our attention.

With all that said...I liked it.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it, and love the refernce to lightning, the lightning in Tucson is awesome. I could really picture it. I was left wondering how he committed the murders, by knife, gun, or something else. I imagined knife, but I would expect to know since we're in the POV and the weapon might be important later. It's much more intriguing with this opening.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice opening, Deb. Here are some ideas for keeping the immediacy flowing, by cutting some pace-slowing words or phrases:

...but it didn't help< much>.
...could feel it firing< within him>.
... that they were dancing with death< itself>. [or Death]
<And he, too,>[Then, he] vanished <back >into nothingness when <he was finished,>[maybe something more concrete or vivid here]...

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everybody. Good ones!
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosier
Member # 8330

- posted      Profile for Hoosier   Email Hoosier         Edit/Delete Post 
As a suggestion, I thought short direct sentence structure that would mimic the lightening strikes could bring a diffrent feel to your opening. I enjoyed the excerpt and it raised enough questions in my mind to turn the page. Good job.

In the desert, the lightening burst, bloomed and withered.

The killer blotted his face with a handkerchief - It didn't help.

Even the pristine cotton had wilted in Tucson's smothering summer heat.

He watched.

He identified with lightening; and could feel it firing within him as a wry grin spread across his face.

What he needed to do burst within him.

He struck swiftly, his victims unaware, until it was to late and they balanced on death's razor edge.

They were dancing with death itself.

Only then he would vanish back into nothingness.

Finished and gone with no trace - Until the fire stirred within and then he would strike again.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.